Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

Maybe you can help me with this. I was out and about in the sierras decided to take the trail up to central camp above bass lake. Ontne way up part of my screen went blurry the other part not. Not so blurry you couldn’t make out any thing but enough that you could recognize trails topo lines etc but couldn’t distinguish anything I was just running it on my iPhone 11 and the transfer to the jeeps main screen I was pretty sure I had downloaded the whole area awhile back I think I had the usgstopomap running as a base and not the Gaia base . I dint think much about it then but could that have been the problem?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Maybe you can help me with this. I was out and about in the sierras decided to take the trail up to central camp above bass lake. Ontne way up part of my screen went blurry the other part not. Not so blurry you couldn’t make out any thing but enough that you could recognize trails topo lines etc but couldn’t distinguish anything I was just running it on my iPhone 11 and the transfer to the jeeps main screen I was pretty sure I had downloaded the whole area awhile back I think I had the usgstopomap running as a base and not the Gaia base . I dint think much about it then but could that have been the problem?
Change the layers to see which one was not downloaded fully. That’s the easiest way to correct things. I recommend downloading an entire State with the Gaia Topo layer. The file size is reasonable. Then you know you have at least one map layer with coverage.

If you saved a set of layers you can always see that under the Saved tab. Find what you saved, say Blah Lake, for example and the click the show on main map button. That should force everything you downloaded to display.

It sounds like you had a layer either not downloaded at all or not completely downloaded. What you were seeing was the cached data in Gaia. It got blurry when you ran out of cached data. You can always clear your cache, set your phone I. Airplane mode with WiFi off and then check your maps again.

Reactions: terryg

syncro

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Tim
Last Name
K
Member #

Has anyone else noticed that Gaia has killed the 5-year plan? My three month trial just ended today and I was going to do the five-year. But as far as I can tell, it's not available anymore. Which is a bummer. I wanna say the five year with a coupon was under $100 and the one year is closer to $40/year (yeah I can get a coupon for ~$35 he first year but who knows what the price will be next year) . A significant difference. I'm kinda wondering why/if Gaia lost confidence in the five-year option.

Reactions: DMS1

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Has anyone else noticed that Gaia has killed the 5-year plan? My three month trial just ended today and I was going to do the five-year. But as far as I can tell, it's not available anymore. Which is a bummer. I wanna say the five year with a coupon was under $100 and the one year is closer to $40/year (yeah I can get a coupon for ~$35 he first year but who knows what the price will be next year) . A significant difference. I'm kinda wondering why/if Gaia lost confidence in the five-year option.
Gaia was recently acquired, so I’m guessing the new owners are recouping their investment.

syncro

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Tim
Last Name
K
Member #

Gaia was recently acquired, so I’m guessing the new owners are recouping their investment.
I'm guessing you're probably right, but now they're going to get a $0 recoup from me vs the ~$100 they were about to get.

Fine, end the offering, raise the price or whatever, but maybe give your existing and eval customers a last shot to lock in the "current" prices. Heck they email me 2x/week. What's one more "last chance at these prices" email.

I've actually been really happy with the (premium) version of OSAMD+. I think that's where I'll put my efforts for the next while. I'm not interested in paying more for the year, putting in the time to learn, then find out next year they want $50 (and the next year $60 and so on).

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Also sorry to hear this. I do like Gaia, but not at higher pricing! I'll be debating a switch when the time comes if they haven't brought the 5yr plan/pricing back.

Reactions: DMS1 and syncro

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I'm using the Nat Geo layer and researching George Washington NF. I see the symbol for a gate but there's two different colors of them... Black/brown.. What's the difference?

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I'm using the Nat Geo layer and researching George Washington NF. I see the symbol for a gate but there's two different colors of them... Black/brown.. What's the difference?

Not sure if there's a difference but I can say those are both closed gates. There's not much deviation off Union Springs that isn't private land or restricted forestry roads.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Here's another.. Black diamond with number in it. No in the legion that I see... Nat Geo again.
I'm thinking it's 'select paved' going by just the road color. Still wondering if 80 is a forest road? Kinda nice if it is!

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 2.37.29 PM.png

mamalone200

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eastern Shore of Maryland
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Malone
Member #

Here's another.. Black diamond with number in it. No in the legion that I see... Nat Geo again.
I'm thinking it's 'select paved' going by just the road color. Still wondering if 80 is a forest road? Kinda nice if it is!

View attachment 204109
80 seems to be a paved state highway. I'm going to recommend that when you are looking in a National Forest to use the the USFS 2016 map and MVUM (USFS) layer. Nat Geo is good for finding stuff, but in Virginia especially you really need to use the MVUM layer to get the open/close dates. Lots

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Offline Routing Added to Gaia GPS!
The latest version supports offline routing. When you download a map area just make sure the option to download offline route data is selected.

For your current map downloads go to the downloaded map, tap more, and then tap Download Offline Routing Data

This will be a nice feature if you want to modify where you are going and don't have cell coverage.

offline-routes.png

Kozysnack

Rank VII
Investor

Expedition Master I

Austin, Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Ely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRNX949 is my GMRS, haven't taken my test yet but working on the HAM
Service Branch
USAF BRAT

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

It's not Google Maps, but the latest version will let you search for a street address and guide you to it. It also allows you to record the track.

maybe out in left field,but…
is Gaia usable for street navigation day to day address finding?