Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
OB1 will get me to Kavanaugh rally point, yes?
Not at the moments, but when Expedition Tier goes live it will… right now Waze, Google Maps, and other city navigation apps are your best bet to for turn by turn navigation…

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Gaia will open apple or google maps when you ask it to lead you to a location. If you have a device that will run Gaia, you can use that device for google maps or apple maps. There are also other navigation apps that are downloadable. I use sygic because it will allow me to download maps state by state and works with carplay.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Can you do live tracking of another person so they can keep track of where each of them are? I was thinking of using it for hunting so members of the party will know each others location.

smusack

Rank I

Contributor III

Southern Oregon
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Musack
I just switched to Gaia because it supports Android Auto, which works pretty well, except it's missing an important feature - allowing me to scroll the map around on my in dash display. Being able to look around the area is pretty critical, so if you don't have this feature planned, please add it to the roadmap!

Thanks!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Can you do live tracking of another person so they can keep track of where each of them are? I was thinking of using it for hunting so members of the party will know each others location.
No you can’t track other people with GAIA. In OB1 you will be able to.

Right now I only know of a couple of apps that let you do this… “Polaris” Ride Command, and APRS.FI…. But APRS.FI you have to be a licensed ham with an APRS radio.

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
Can users create their own layers? As a new ham I was thinking it would be useful to have a layer for repeaters that displays details like frequencies, tones, effective range (maybe have a ring around each one), etc. Basically information like repeaterbook.com has. That way you could find repeaters more easily as you're traveling.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Can users create their own layers? As a new ham I was thinking it would be useful to have a layer for repeaters that displays details like frequencies, tones, effective range (maybe have a ring around each one), etc. Basically information like repeaterbook.com has. That way you could find repeaters more easily as you're traveling.
Yes, but there is an app for that already that auto populates that information… APRS.FI for iPhone and APRSDROID for android.

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
Yes, but there is an app for that already that auto populates that information… APRS.FI for iPhone and APRSDROID for android.
Yes, but I think it would be better to have it layered on the map with your other route information instead of having to run different apps for various sources of information (that's the point of layers).

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yes, but I think it would be better to have it layered on the map with your other route information instead of having to run different apps for various sources of information (that's the point of layers).
I guess since I’m always running both APRS.FI and a navigation app, it’s never been an issue for me. But yes you can add any marker you want and build your own layers…

now here is the hard part and why I run two separate apps… you have to go to a site like RepeaterBook and get all the information for each repeater one by one and add it to your GAIA layer, where as APRS.Fi can auto populate all that information… and with the a Mobilinked TNC connected to your radio and paired with your mobile device (tablet, phone, laptop) you can now track other people as well. One other thing that I heard does the same thing (haven’t tested it) is using the APRSDROID plugin for Backcountry Navigator.

Reactions: Dusther210

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
You can import repeaters as waypoints from the Repeater book database. Then use whatever map layer(s) you want. Export the list as GPX file and then import into Gaia. This is an app called ADZE that I use to preview things before importing into Gaia. You might need to edit the notes and you could change the waypoint icons to something different, including an Emoji, from your phone.

azrepeaters.jpeg

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I made a video about how I use Gaia and Google Earth Pro together on my iPad to find dispersed sites. There's some newbie stuff at the beginning but it has chapters so you can skip around. Would love to know what you guys think!
Nice job. Great for those just starting out. I have never had the patience to make videos. Kudos to anyone that does. I am also always afan of those that show the chapter links.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
In App Turn by Turn directions now available. For those that don't have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto this should be a nice addition.

Help file for iOS: https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409644299799-Guide-Me-Get-Guidance-to-and-along-a-Track-Route-or-Waypoint-in-the-iOS-App

Help file for Android: https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500011258802-Guide-Me-Turn-by-Turn-Directions-for-Driving-Cycling-and-Hiking-Routes-in-the-Android-App

I believe voice instructions are only available in the Android app at the moment. There is no setting in iOS for Turn-by-Turn Routing.

Last edited:

Willys Yella Jeep

Rank V

Builder I

Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
First Name
Willy
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CEO
Service Branch
Army
In App Turn by Turn directions now available.

Help file for iOS: https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409644299799-Guide-Me-Get-Guidance-to-and-along-a-Track-Route-or-Waypoint-in-the-iOS-App

Help file for Android: https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500011258802-Guide-Me-Turn-by-Turn-Directions-for-Driving-Cycling-and-Hiking-Routes-in-the-Android-App

I believe voice instructions are only available in the Android app at the moment. There is no setting in iOS for Turn-by-Turn Routing.
There is so much to learn with GAIA GPS. Turn by turn is really nice on my jeep. Route planning is the key. If you haven't completed a map recon and route planning, you lose a lot of time on the trail. No, you aren't destroying the adventure by planning. You can always deviate from the "planned" route. If you are recording your route it is easy to get back to the original route.

Reactions: Dusther210

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Probably already asked but can’t find.."
how to stop GAIA from recording route?
What device are you using? Look for the Trip icon on the bottom of the screen on an iPhone or tap the 4 arrows (top left) on an iPad then Trip.