First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
iPad. I’ll check that out
You can also add it to the stats portion at the top of the screen. Press and hold one of the stats. Then you can choose different options. Head to the Gaia help site for instructions if you need further explanation.

Attachments

Reactions: Dusther210

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
For those that don't get the Gaia GPS email blasts Android Auto was just updated. Pretty nice upgrades. You can start and stop a track, add a waypoint, tilt the map, and a few other things. While I am still an iOS guy it is great Gaia added a few things to the Android app! These things may not ever be able in iOS depending on what Apple allows in the CarPlay code. I have an Android phone and tested the new stuff. I don't have a phone plan for it so my options of use are a bit limited even while tethering to my iPhone.

See you on the trail....

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I would love to see CarPlay allow more information and features. Right now to me Gaia on CarPlay is a waste of space.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I would love to see CarPlay allow more information and features. Right now to me Gaia on CarPlay is a waste of space.
You would have to lobby Apple for that. The general take from Apple is CarPlay is for when driving your vehicle. Therefore it will have limited function. They don’t want you staring down at your radio making lots of changes. Worst case add functionality that requires you to not be moving. Plenty of apps do that including most things native to my Toyota radio.

In summary I agree with you. OnX has released it CarPlay app. I will have to make some comparisons. Obviously if some type of feature like start and ending a track we’re available in a competing app like OnX we could then go yell (politely :) ) at Gaia to add it.

Reactions: Dusther210

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
You would have to lobby Apple for that. The general take from Apple is CarPlay is for when driving your vehicle. Therefore it will have limited function. They don’t want you staring down at your radio making lots of changes. Worst case add functionality that requires you to not be moving. Plenty of apps do that including most things native to my Toyota radio.

In summary I agree with you. OnX has released it CarPlay app. I will have to make some comparisons. Obviously if some type of feature like start and ending a track we’re available in a competing app like OnX we could then go yell (politely :) ) at Gaia to add it.
Thanks

right now I have my iPad mounted for when I am off road and doing a trip and will just continue on that way.

BJP

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prescott, AZ
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Parsons
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VSS
I have read through most of the posts and did not see my question covered. I have used GAIA for a number of years and have a lot of saved information but have purchased a new iPad and want to clean up my files. I use a lot of layers and have set up my folders by region with all the layers in the folder. Would it be better to set up a folder by region and then add each layer individually into the folder or all layers at once? Thx for all the tips on the forum. They have been helpful.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have read through most of the posts and did not see my question covered. I have used GAIA for a number of years and have a lot of saved information but have purchased a new iPad and want to clean up my files. I use a lot of layers and have set up my folders by region with all the layers in the folder. Would it be better to set up a folder by region and then add each layer individually into the folder or all layers at once? Thx for all the tips on the forum. They have been helpful.
Depending on how old your layers are I would start over. You would need to delete the map layers on your old device first, then sync, then sync the new device. Any time you switch devices the biggest pain is re-downloading map layers. They take forever, your device needs to be on, screen on, and Gaia running. Gaia Topo will update when a new version is available. Most other layers do not. That’s why I get rid of them every few years.

BJP

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Prescott, AZ
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Parsons
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7VSS
Agreed on starting clean with the new device. Any thoughts on folder management?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Agreed on starting clean with the new device. Any thoughts on folder management?
Not really, I organize things by state or route. Not saying I have the best system.

Reactions: BJP

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Just wondering if folks have been using the new Overland Layer in Gaia GPS yet? I along with another fine gentleman helped with the design. I find it most useful if you use this layer along with the USFS Roads and Trails hidden underneath. Then you can get all of the trail/track data when you tap on a trail.

The overland layer definitely simplifies things. Gives a better contrast of color along with the most popular data we tend to use.

Check out the full details here:

1 (27).jpeg
1 (28).jpeg

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Just wondering if folks have been using the new Overland Layer in Gaia GPS yet? I along with another fine gentleman helped with the design. I find it most useful if you use this layer along with the USFS Roads and Trails hidden underneath. Then you can get all of the trail/track data when you tap on a trail.

The overland layer definitely simplifies things. Gives a better contrast of color along with the most popular data we tend to use.

View attachment 231784
View attachment 231785
I haven’t, but if I had a paid membership to Gaia it looks real solid

LumixLab

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Young Harris, Georgia, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mauldin
Member #

It's a good idea but it needs some tweaking. I tried it for awhile but have gone back to my main four layers. I liked that road numbers, road names, and cities were easier to identify. The trail status provided by USFS Roads and Trails was tricky to get. Overland had to be turned down to a certain level in order to get the status from that layer. Also, the color shades distinguishing public and private land are too close/similar in my opinion in Overland. Having the public land layer provides very clear boundaries. Again, I think it's a good start but not completely ready.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

View attachment 231784
View attachment 231785
Oh yay, another undocumented feature.

now that I know, I’ll take a look.