Spokane, WA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Avery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WU7X
@WU7X If you are premium user, consider installing the MVUM overlay as well. I find that the combo of USFS Topo and MVUM (where it draws a green line on all the forest service roads) is magical. I usually have USGS topo underneath those two to cover non USFS managed lands as well. Like you did, I often find myself in need of finding new/different routes while out exploring due to locked gates, fires, etc, and it's so awesome to be able to just poke around Gaia for a few minutes and then be off on a new route.
Hi Brian!

I wasn't a premium subscriber before this trip, but now am seriously considering it. Thanks for the tips. I always appreciate learning new ways to make something even better.

Dale

Reactions: 1Louder and brien

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Hi Brian!

I wasn't a premium subscriber before this trip, but now am seriously considering it. Thanks for the tips. I always appreciate learning new ways to make something even better.

Dale
In my opinion, the MVUM maps completely justify the premium subscription cost. If you follow @Lifestyle Overland at all, they share a discount code fairly regularly on YouTube and Instagram

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Hello,

Just started with Gaia GPS free version. I was trying to save a route I created, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be saving the waypoints I'm entering. They show up on the left side toolbar (windows browser version) but once I save and re-load the route, there are only two waypoints showing - the start, and the end, even if I didn't name those as waypoints. Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Bump.

So now I'm really annoyed with this program. Not only does it consistently fail to save any waypoints on the route I'm creating, but it also decided, of its own accord, to omit all the backroad driving I added to the route and snap to the main highway, thusly making it totally useless for my purposes. Am I doing something wrong, or is this thing just junk?

I'm considering abandoning it and just trying to make do with google maps. Any assistance is much appreciated.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Bump.

So now I'm really annoyed with this program. Not only does it consistently fail to save any waypoints on the route I'm creating, but it also decided, of its own accord, to omit all the backroad driving I added to the route and snap to the main highway, thusly making it totally useless for my purposes. Am I doing something wrong, or is this thing just junk?

I'm considering abandoning it and just trying to make do with google maps. Any assistance is much appreciated.
I would contact GAIA Support for this. There are some videos you can watch which discuss route planning via web browser but there may be a possible issue. They will need to know what browser you are using, operating system (I think you said Windows), and a few other things like where you are trying to plan your route.

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003640568-Create-a-Route-on-GaiaGPS-com

Not really something the user community can address.

Reactions: xplorr

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I would contact GAIA Support for this. There are some videos you can watch which discuss route planning via web browser but there may be a possible issue. They will need to know what browser you are using, operating system (I think you said Windows), and a few other things like where you are trying to plan your route.

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003640568-Create-a-Route-on-GaiaGPS-com

Not really something the user community can address.
Thanks, request submitted. I was wanting to know if I was just missing something or doing something wrong, ie. "Waypoints don't save unless you do xyz"

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Ok can someone explain the value of GAIA? I have the free version and honestly in my limited use, see no difference with Avenza, am I missing it? What will premium get me? I seen the posts about MVUM, which I can get free on Avenza.

Thank you all

Jim

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Ok can someone explain the value of GAIA? I have the free version and honestly in my limited use, see no difference with Avenza, am I missing it? What will premium get me? I seen the posts about MVUM, which I can get free on Avenza.

Thank you all

Jim
If you don't see the value and Avenza works for you stick with it then.

I personally don't like Avenza.

It is much easier to import and export tracks in Gaia GPS.

Gaia has more map layers (may or may not be of value to you). You can't simply scroll to infinity in Avenza. You have to download a specific map (1 layer) which may or may not be free.

You can build routes in Gaia. Gaia also now has a weather layer, fire maps, public and private land, on and on.

Just a few examples.

Everything is a value proposition. It really depends on what your needs are.

I would suggest watching some YouTube videos on Gaia GPS which may better explain what the app offers. If that makes it worthwhile to you great.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
"I would suggest watching some YouTube videos on Gaia GPS which may better explain what the app offers."

Great idea...

Jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Yep that was the ticket as for the basic membership vs Avenza, now to see what premium vs basic differences are...

Jim

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
This may have been asked, but is there a way to download maps onto a sd card from the computer and use that in a tablet?
That is not possible. Using and SD card with an Android tablet to store maps has had mixed results for some. I have not personal experience thought.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Any idea how to add more icons for waypoints? The choice they give is real poor. When we are out and come across a good campsite I place a waypoint. But I want the icon to match the site. Tent for tent only (there is a tent), small teardrop for sites we can take the teardrop, someway to mark campsites that have room for a few campers.

So many useless icons, why is there a beaker? Is that to mark meth labs? Subway icon, Suitcase? How about a mine, ghost town.

Todd

Reactions: CR-Venturer

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

So far I'm not super impressed with Gaia. It seems extremely buggy and broken, with features not working as they should. It doesn't inspire me to want to pay for the full app.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
s
So far I'm not super impressed with Gaia. It seems extremely buggy and broken, with features not working as they should. It doesn't inspire me to want to pay for the full app.
Stand by Overland Bound is working on a new program

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding