Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Anyone else having issues with the app crashing on Android when selecting the premium layers? As soon as I try to add a new map layer it crashes on both Android 8.1 and the new Android 9. I think I sent feedback with logs but it crashes so not sure the feedback was sent.

Addtional: Apparently trying to download a map causes the same issue. Pretty much renders the app useless, last update to the app was 3 days ago.

Last edited:

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I just uninstalled and re-installed on both my phone -Android 9 and my tablet -Android 8.1 and both appear to be working now. Not sure what the issue was there.

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh
Sorry if this was posted earlier, but wasn't seeing the question directly answered more recently. I'm looking at options for a standalone GPS/navigator for some local exploring, but want to be able to expand it. I was thinking of using a iPad Mini Wi-Fi with a Garmin GLO and running Gaia on it. However, I'd like the ability to expand the storage of the 16gb and keep my maps and Gaia on an external storage device. If I move the root folder, would an external device like the SanDisk iXpand or even a wireless portable drive be able to push the maps into the iPad?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Sorry if this was posted earlier, but wasn't seeing the question directly answered more recently. I'm looking at options for a standalone GPS/navigator for some local exploring, but want to be able to expand it. I was thinking of using a iPad Mini Wi-Fi with a Garmin GLO and running Gaia on it. However, I'd like the ability to expand the storage of the 16gb and keep my maps and Gaia on an external storage device. If I move the root folder, would an external device like the SanDisk iXpand or even a wireless portable drive be able to push the maps into the iPad?
I don’t think this is possible. On Android you can have an SD card and tell Gaia to use that. However, some folks have had issues. I think it is an issue with either the card they are using or Android OS but not sure. I don’t keep up with the Android side of things. I would get a 64GB or 128 iPad and call it good. Yes I know they are more money but a 16GB won’t get you very far with even traditional apps.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh
I don’t think this is possible. On Android you can have an SD card and tell Gaia to use that. However, some folks have had issues. I think it is an issue with either the card they are using or Android OS but not sure. I don’t keep up with the Android side of things. I would get a 64GB or 128 iPad and call it good. Yes I know they are more money but a 16GB won’t get you very far with even traditional apps.
10-4 thanks for the quick response!

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
not sure if you already have an iPad or are looking to buy a tablet for this purpose, but i thought i'd pipe in to say that I have essentially the same setup that you are looking at, only i use a wifi-only Android tablet instead of an iPad mini. I've tried with the iPad mii as well, but ran into the space issue since there's no way to add external storage that i'm aware of.
I have the tablet with gaia installed, an external QSTARZ bt-q818xt gps puck, an external global cell->wifi puck, a 64GB SD card in the tablet to store all the map data on. works pretty darn well so far

Reactions: Corvus

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh
not sure if you already have an iPad or are looking to buy a tablet for this purpose, but i thought i'd pipe in to say that I have essentially the same setup that you are looking at, only i use a wifi-only Android tablet instead of an iPad mini. I've tried with the iPad mii as well, but ran into the space issue since there's no way to add external storage that i'm aware of.
I have the tablet with gaia installed, an external QSTARZ bt-q818xt gps puck, an external global cell->wifi puck, a 64GB SD card in the tablet to store all the map data on. works pretty darn well so far
Cool, I think I may be looking that way now as well. Looked at some Samsung tablets the other day when I got an unlocked S8 at Best Buy. Seeming that is a better way to go since it seems tougher to find Minis larger than 16gb around me for reasonable prices.

Want to run Gaia, but also want to download a bunch and still be able to run other things on it hah. Thanks for the help, that's about exactly what I want to do. Seems I'm on the right track then!

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
feel free to hit me up if you have questions on the setup. you need to install an app that will overwrite the device GPS (which is nil for wifi-only, typically) with the data coming from whatever Bluetooth GPS puck you end up using. it's pretty easy, but just wanted to call it out so you know.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

This sounds like a lot of cables and pucks and what not. Forgetting for a second the android vs iwhatever argument, what is your logic behind this? Just like the size of the androids, like a regular iPad is too big?
I am running Gaia on my iPhone 8, an about 10 year old 16GB 3G iPad, and occasionally on a Samsung tab2 which I can't stand. I have maps for SW Colorado, GSENM before it was shrunk, Daniel Boone NF, and some Michigan UP stuff and I have 1.1 GB stored. Am i doing something wrong downloading i.e. not high enough resolution?

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh
This sounds like a lot of cables and pucks and what not. Forgetting for a second the android vs iwhatever argument, what is your logic behind this? Just like the size of the androids, like a regular iPad is too big?
I am running Gaia on my iPhone 8, an about 10 year old 16GB 3G iPad, and occasionally on a Samsung tab2 which I can't stand. I have maps for SW Colorado, GSENM before it was shrunk, Daniel Boone NF, and some Michigan UP stuff and I have 1.1 GB stored. Am i doing something wrong downloading i.e. not high enough resolution?
I can't speak to storage for Gaia downloads as I've never done it, but as far as tidiness, I'm planning on a charging cable for the tablet running into a custom USB mount and the popular pucks/external GPS are all wireless...this will be my setup I'm copying (borrowed from T4R.org). I wanted SD card capability to keep it from bogging the internal storage of whatever device. Have different SD's for different trips, etc.

Attachments

Reactions: Ditcherman

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

I can't speak to storage for Gaia downloads as I've never done it, but as far as tidiness, I'm planning on a charging cable for the tablet running into a custom USB mount and the popular pucks/external GPS are all wireless...this will be my setup I'm copying (borrowed from T4R.org). I wanted SD card capability to keep it from bogging the internal storage of whatever device. Have different SD's for different trips, etc.
Ah, wireless and separate SD cards, makes sense, thanks!

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
For me the setup was not premeditated by any means. I just happened to have a wifi-only tablet, and old unused external bluetooth GPS, and we already have a cell -> wifi puck in the Jeep available. As i was shopping around for a GSP enabled tablet that we could use for navigation i realized i had a bunch of unused stuff that i could just slap together to accomplish the same thing. The additional cables are annoying, but only the tablet needs to be mounted out in the open, and last year i rewired a bunch of the USB ports in my Jeep so that I now have one available right in the center bin on the dash:

sekuehl

Rank 0

Contributor I

As a 4 year user and alpha/beta tester for Gaia GPS I thought I would start a dedicated thread so folks can ask about the app and get their questions answered. Let me stress that I am not an employee for Gaia. Merely a long time user and very active with working with them to produce the best GPS app available. Please post up questions, comments, concerns, and suggestions.

A new version for iOS is launching very soon. A new Android version will follow shortly after that. Then I see the MVUM map layers being net. The MVUM layer is officially in the development pipeline but I don't have a delivery date. Once the new version is released I will be writing some new posts on my site and will share this info here as well.

While I am here to answer questions there are good official resources at your disposal.

http://blog.gaiagps.com/ - All of the important updates are written about here

https://www.reddit.com/r/GaiaGPS/ - Official support forums

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us - Official Help files

If anything changes to the above links I will edit this post. I also hope other Gaia GPS users will chime in to help answer questions.

Gaia is going to make a more dedicated push into the overlanding community this year. I of course fully support these efforts. The best current example would be the future implementation of the MVUM layer. I along with others (THANK YOU) have been asking Gaia to add this feature.

Free 3 Month Premium Subscription Details Here:
http://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/navigation-app-choice-gaia-gps/

My setup:
Gaia GPS Pro for iOS
iPad Air 2
Ram Mount
Delorme InReach Explorer (this is used as the GPS for my iPad)

I have an Android phone for testing purposes and an older Android tablet but am not an expert on everything Android.

Preferred Map Layers:
USFS 2016 and USFS Classic
Gaia Topo
USGS Topo
Gaia Roadmap, Open Streets

6/20/17 Additions:
Available map layers - https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003524587-What-maps-are-included-in-Gaia-GPS-

Map legends now available online - https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003639928-Map-Legends

Thanks,
Chris aka 1Louder
I have searched a little. I have just joined the forum and so far I can’t find an answer. My question is there a way to share locations between premium users of Gaia.

For example my location is updated through the Gaia app and shared with another premium user via the Gaia app.

Possible?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have searched a little. I have just joined the forum and so far I can’t find an answer. My question is there a way to share locations between premium users of Gaia.

For example my location is updated through the Gaia app and shared with another premium user via the Gaia app.

Possible?
Not in real-time. You can share tracks, waypoints, etc via email, text messages, and few other means. Again not in real-time though. You can share with anyone. Gaia exports in universal formats of GPX and KML.

sekuehl

Rank 0

Contributor I

Not in real-time. You can share tracks, waypoints, etc via email, text messages, and few other means. Again not in real-time though. You can share with anyone. Gaia exports in universal formats of GPX and KML.
Thank you for the answer. It would be awesome if there was a way Gaia could add a “spot” like features to their platform at an additional cost of course. I just don’t know if the smartphone platform supports what is required to transmit back to satellites.