HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
@1Louder and @Steve, with the different GPS centric apps for trip planning along with the myriad of features and working on the 2 major platforms (android and iOS), has anyone ventured to possibly put together a webinar for those OB folk. This webinar could be recorded and then be available for future reference on the OB approved thread.

For example, the photo/video editing software I use conducts occasional live webinars so users can ask questions during the demo which of course get recorded as part of the webinar. This live interaction proves very helpful to the others who don't attend the live webinar but are able to review it later since most folk have the same questions/need of understanding a function.

I know Michael did a video for Google maps which was great but possibly conducting a series of webinars on the most popular Trail/hike/adventure outdoor apps would provide an additional resource for newbies like me on the apps. :sunglasses: Also, I'd bet you would have a bunch of folk willing to pay for the webinar to help offset the cost.

Just thinking out loud as I go through the learning curve with Gaia.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I appreciate you thinking I'm proficient, but I'm barely touching the surface of Gaia on my iPad. I've only used it for a couple of saved trips, and downloaded one map. I like the idea of a video how-to, though. Have you checked YouTube? There's bound to be people that have done something similar.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I appreciate you thinking I'm proficient, but I'm barely touching the surface of Gaia on my iPad. I've only used it for a couple of saved trips, and downloaded one map. I like the idea of a video how-to, though. Have you checked YouTube? There's bound to be people that have done something similar.
Well I put you because you're important [emoji41] . I did check the tube but only had a basic video. Not as in depth as I was hoping. Thus the suggestion. [emoji41] [emoji41] [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Steve

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
@HappyOurOverlanding I simply do not have the time to do something like that. If I did I would post it up on YouTube and share here. I do what I can when I can here to give back to the community and that's about it.

Here are what Gaia likes to link to:
https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115011926448-User-Created-Videos-and-Tutorials
And I (and many in the forum) appreciate what you do, have done and I'm sure will continue to do. As for the user videos, I did watch these previously and wasn't getting everything I needed. Thus, the inquiry and suggestion. Anyway, maybe down the road....

Thanks again.

Reactions: 1Louder

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Great info here and thanks for all the education. I'm having a problem in that when I am creating an area to download, the "rectangle" has changed to a triangle. It's probably something I've done but I'd sure like to get back to the rectangle.

Help, please!

Mi V

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

NC
Ok. New to gaia and so far I do not see a use for it. Thinking of just getting an off road gps like magellan.

I can’t seem to get gaia to function. Its very complicated to use. How do I get it to take me from point A to point B? Stupid question but been playing with gaia for a day and it seems so......unuseable....like it does not do anything. It just shows you where you are on a map.....no guidance...nothing.....

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Ok. New to gaia and so far I do not see a use for it. Thinking of just getting an off road gps like magellan.

I can’t seem to get gaia to function. Its very complicated to use. How do I get it to take me from point A to point B? Stupid question but been playing with gaia for a day and it seems so......unuseable....like it does not do anything. It just shows you where you are on a map.....no guidance...nothing.....
It’s a tool like any tool in a well stocked toolbox. You need to learn how to use it. It will not give you turn by turn instructions. It can show you your distance from and direction to a waypoint but that is straight line. It can do lots of others things. Here’s a good tutorial for iOS.

Any dedicated hardware device will not have as many map layers as Gaia but if that type of device works for you go for it.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Great info here and thanks for all the education. I'm having a problem in that when I am creating an area to download, the "rectangle" has changed to a triangle. It's probably something I've done but I'd sure like to get back to the rectangle.

Help, please!
If you didn’t get this solved contact support. I have never seen that and couldn’t duplicate what you were seeing.

Reactions: justjames

ExpeditionDriven

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

I have a question about GaiaGPS. I am an iOS user running on an iPhone7 Plus. Gaia appears to be used for a wide variety of activities (overlanding, hiking, biking, etc.). I was wondering if there was a way to distinguish between them when browsing public routes? This would be a neat feature if its not already one. Then you could choose to browse public routes for each activity you may be interested in. For example, your map isn't flooded with walking/hiking trails when you are looking for forest roads for overlanding. Anyone have any suggestions? It's incredibly possible I am just missing something. (I suppose I should also mention that I am using the free version of Gaia, not a paid version with the extra map layers).

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Kevin108

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
It’s a tool like any tool in a well stocked toolbox. You need to learn how to use it. It will not give you turn by turn instructions. It can show you your distance from and direction to a waypoint but that is straight line. It can do lots of others things. Here’s a good tutorial for iOS.

Any dedicated hardware device will not have as many map layers as Gaia but if that type of device works for you go for it.
Good points @1Louder . I have now used GiaGPS for several trips along with a download of a trail to go on. Love how I have been able to share my routes with others. My wife and I run two devices (ios and android) on a trip. One for recording the trip and the other to navigate downloaded shared routes...She has a Thing of not wanting me to look at the phone while driving...LOL.

Sent from my SM-G960U using OB Talk mobile app

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have a question about GaiaGPS. I am an iOS user running on an iPhone7 Plus. Gaia appears to be used for a wide variety of activities (overlanding, hiking, biking, etc.). I was wondering if there was a way to distinguish between them when browsing public routes? This would be a neat feature if its not already one. Then you could choose to browse public routes for each activity you may be interested in. For example, your map isn't flooded with walking/hiking trails when you are looking for forest roads for overlanding. Anyone have any suggestions? It's incredibly possible I am just missing something. (I suppose I should also mention that I am using the free version of Gaia, not a paid version with the extra map layers).

Thanks in advance!
No way to do that currently. I think at some point this feature will get added and you will be able to tag what type of track you have recorded prior to syncing with the cloud app. Always check blog.gaiagps.com for the latest updates.

Reactions: Kent R

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO

Thanks in advance!
Honestly, it's totally worth it to shell out for Gaia Premium for the extra layers. The VMUM layer is phenomenally useful as it shows every single forest service road on public land. I leave that layer toggled on permanently. There's also Public Land and Private Land layers which I use all the time as well, although i only toggle them on/off when i need to see them.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

HOW TO UPGRADE

First of all, thank you @1Louder and everyone else for this thread! Been using Gaia for about a year now and while I don't get out as much as I'd like it is fantastic to have such a detailed map on my phone while backpacking, and the iPad works great for driving.
When I saw that the MVUM layer was available (i know I'm late to the game here) I immediately wanted to upgrade but had a hard time figuring out how to with an existing subscription. It's not under "my subscriptions" like I suspected, you have to scroll to the bottom of the page, under "membership" there is a "premium membership" link. Seemed tricky to me to find so I just thought I'd throw my two cents in. They will charge you a prorated amount based on when your subscription renews.
So worth it!

Reactions: brien

ExpeditionDriven

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spring Hill, TN
Member #

Honestly, it's totally worth it to shell out for Gaia Premium for the extra layers. The VMUM layer is phenomenally useful as it shows every single forest service road on public land. I leave that layer toggled on permanently. There's also Public Land and Private Land layers which I use all the time as well, although i only toggle them on/off when i need to see them.
For that reason right there I will be upgrading when I can. Not having to google each forest for maps would be super nice. I think you have just sold me on it. Curious too now on a beginner GPS that I could pair with an iPad mini. Is there a different thread for learning navigation basics? I'm interested in entry level GPS devices that can pair with an iPad mini to run GaiaGPS. That way my phone is freed up for other things and I dont have to rely on cell signal.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I became a Premium GAIA Member today. I still can't find how to add the MVUM Layer. This app seems way more difficult to understand than it should be. Someone please point out the obvious to me and tell me how to turn on the MVUM layer. Thanks.

Android:
From the Map view, tap the layers icon in the upper right, tap "More Layers", scroll to Premium Overlays and tap it, scroll to "USFS MVUM" and enable it.

iOS:
From the Map view, tap the layers icon in the upper right, tap "Edit", scroll to Premium Maps and tap it, scroll to Overlays and tap it, scroll to "USFS MVUM" and enable it.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

I became a Premium GAIA Member today. I still can't find how to add the MVUM Layer. This app seems way more difficult to understand than it should be. Someone please point out the obvious to me and tell me how to turn on the MVUM layer. Thanks.
This is tricky to figure out, it took me a while too so don’t feel alone. It’s only intuitive if you’re the programmer. I have experience with other GPS software that is so powerful and can do so much but it’s not as intuitive as we get used too. IMO the best way to handle this is to depend on the help and forums and faq at Gaia and here of course to get through the frustration.