AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Why are the map tile downloads so painfully slow? Lots of folks seem to have problems downloading areas. Also download size seems to be limited significantly? This was a problem in the old app, and seems to still be an issue in the new app. Are there any plans to address that problem?
Valid question. I have not experienced what others have. There is a thread in the Gaia Community forum. I'm on the road headed to Ouray so tough for me to look it up.

The short version. Many of the maps come from a third party server. They control the speed. If you are building a large map with lots of tiles those tiles have to be generated for you and specifically for you. They are generally not cached on the server. This takes time and can make downloads slow.

I want to work with folks to get more specifics. So please answer the following. Private message me if you like.

1. What area are you trying to download? Try to be specific.
2. How large of an area?
3. What zoom level?
4. Are you trying to download layers at the same time?
5. On the map selection screen where you draw your download box how large is the download size?

Screenshots are great as well.

Gaia will automatically stitch maps you have downloaded. So instead of 1 big download you can try to break them down into smaller ones. Overlapping is fine. Gaia Topo layer should be the fastest. Once I get some data from folks I will try to troubleshoot shoot more and provide more specific answers. Also, if you leave the app downloads stop. If you have a large file download it at night when you aren't using your phone/tablet for other things.

Ok time to get back on the road. Hopefully I will see some of you at the FJ Summit.

Sent from my iPhone expect typos, grammatical errors, and any other invalid excuse.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

ill tell you that the membership signup pages are not exactly clear. I saw 5 years for $30 for membership.. with no mention of premium anywhere, so I assumed that was the only option and bought that. Then I find out that premium is $30/year and something else entirely.

I submitted a ticket to convert it. The app does seem clunky, but im willing to keep using it for awhile. that trail map layer seems promising.

I still don't have a vehicle mount figured out. I am using a 256gb iPad Pro 12.9" . with a SkyPro XGPS160 gps receiver and a verizon Mifi. I have a couple of those magnet mounts coming to try that (multiple magnets on the back). I haven't found any other mounts that look like they could even work. My iPad is too big.

Reactions: Overland 505

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
ill tell you that the membership signup pages are not exactly clear. I saw 5 years for $30 for membership.. with no mention of premium anywhere, so I assumed that was the only option and bought that. Then I find out that premium is $30/year and something else entirely.

I submitted a ticket to convert it. The app does seem clunky, but im willing to keep using it for awhile. that trail map layer seems promising.
If you didn't mention the directions not being clear in your ticket I will pass this feedback along to the team at Gaia. Not sure what areas you are looking at maps in but my favorite layer where available is USFS 2016 or USFS Classic.

What do you find "clunky?"

I still don't have a vehicle mount figured out. I am using a 256gb iPad Pro 12.9" . with a SkyPro XGPS160 gps receiver and a verizon Mifi. I have a couple of those magnet mounts coming to try that (multiple magnets on the back). I haven't found any other mounts that look like they could even work. My iPad is too big.
I love my Ram mount. Never had an issue with it. Works great even on rough bouncy trails.

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
One problem I'm having is the little arrow on the screen that represents where you're at and where you're facing flips around all over the place. I've had the app on 2 different phones, LG g4, and now on a Galaxy S8, phone is vertical on a ram windshield mount. If I use any other nav app (Google for example) the arrow is steady, so I feel it's app related?

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Matt4Runner

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
JJJ
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6VHF
NatGeo! New favorite layer where available. USFS 2016 is my other favorite but they are not available for many sections around Moab.
My favorite too, I own a bunch of the paper ones! Speaking of which there is one NatGeo map near Moab that is not showing up in Gaia but it does exist. It's the Glen Canyon Recreation Area one: http://www.natgeomaps.com/glen-canyon-national-recreation-area

Hoping they add it, I'm trying to plan a trip out there

Matt4Runner

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Pleasant Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
JJJ
Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6VHF
One problem I'm having is the little arrow on the screen that represents where you're at and where you're facing flips around all over the place. I've had the app on 2 different phones, LG g4, and now on a Galaxy S8, phone is vertical on a ram windshield mount. If I use any other nav app (Google for example) the arrow is steady, so I feel it's app related?

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app
Looks like they have a fix for it in the next update according to Ashli.

Reactions: Tinker

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
My favorite too, I own a bunch of the paper ones! Speaking of which there is one NatGeo map near Moab that is not showing up in Gaia but it does exist. It's the Glen Canyon Recreation Area one: http://www.natgeomaps.com/glen-canyon-national-recreation-area

Hoping they add it, I'm trying to plan a trip out there
Known bug. It was reported last week so hopefully there will be a resolution soon. Don't be afraid to report those things directly to Gaia though.

Sent from my iPhone expect typos, grammatical errors, and any other invalid excuse.

Reactions: tom

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Ive been using Pro on my iPhone but now want to use a min iPad what is the minimum memory you can use the one I might get is only 16.

thanks in advance

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I finally got setup on premium. This really is the only way to use this and have it be of value, the overlays and new maps make it so much better.

I still feel like its having trouble with offline mode. I am still working with it, but saving offline areas and then having it show them you have to be in the right layer config? I might be missing something. I have a lot of trips coming up and I'd like to use this. I wish that Google Maps would work in split screen on the iPad Pro with gaia on one side. I can split Gaia with google earth, but I really want to have normal road nav and gaia.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I finally got setup on premium. This really is the only way to use this and have it be of value, the overlays and new maps make it so much better.

I still feel like its having trouble with offline mode. I am still working with it, but saving offline areas and then having it show them you have to be in the right layer config? I might be missing something. I have a lot of trips coming up and I'd like to use this. I wish that Google Maps would work in split screen on the iPad Pro with gaia on one side. I can split Gaia with google earth, but I really want to have normal road nav and gaia.

There is a way for a individual to import google maps into Gaia. There is an article on my site 4XOA.com which walks through the steps on how to do it. There are licensing reasons as to why Gaia can't include it as a layer.

PM me if you need help with offline maps and I will see if can be of assistance.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Ive been using Pro on my iPhone but now want to use a min iPad what is the minimum memory you can use the one I might get is only 16.

thanks in advance
I would get at least a 32gb. 64 better. It really depends on how many maps you want to store.

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I know I can import layers, but I still like the maps functionality for the on-pavement parts. Not a huge deal since its easy to switch apps.

shadow

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Member #

Is this a one time payment app or is it a yearly subscription?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign