• HTML tutorial

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

Hello- Sorry for what is seemingly a stupid question-
I love everything about Gaia, except one thing. For the life of me I cannot find a way to use the maps as heading up? In most GPS systems a heading up is pretty standard and, for me, I like this feature when zoomed in to an area more. Any thoughts> I have changed the setting for compass/north, but cannot locate how it will track your heading and rotate the map automatically to keep heading up.
Thanks!

JOSX2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mebane, NC
Member #

Hello- Sorry for what is seemingly a stupid question-
I love everything about Gaia, except one thing. For the life of me I cannot find a way to use the maps as heading up? In most GPS systems a heading up is pretty standard and, for me, I like this feature when zoomed in to an area more. Any thoughts> I have changed the setting for compass/north, but cannot locate how it will track your heading and rotate the map automatically to keep heading up.
Thanks!
Tap the GPS icon (top right) twice.

1st time will center the map/arrow (you) into middle of screen..and then the arrow will proceed to move around the map as you move. It also keeps north facing "up"

2nd time, map will do the auto-rotating, amd keep the arrow marker centered like you want.

Keep in mind...when you go to zoom in or rotate the map manually after 1 or 2 taps, it disables the "following" feature of it. It'll still record your track (if you're recording), but the arrow will be moving around the map instead, with the top of the map being north.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

Tap the GPS icon (top right) twice.

1st time will center the map/arrow (you) into middle of screen..and then the arrow will proceed to move around the map as you move. It also keeps north facing "up"

2nd time, map will do the auto-rotating, amd keep the arrow marker centered like you want.

Keep in mind...when you go to zoom in or rotate the map manually after 1 or 2 taps, it disables the "following" feature of it. It'll still record your track (if you're recording), but the arrow will be moving around the map instead, with the top of the map being north.

Thank you so very much!

Reactions: JOSX2

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
As a 4 year user and alpha/beta tester for Gaia GPS I thought I would start a dedicated thread so folks can ask about the app and get their questions answered. Let me stress that I am not an employee for Gaia. Merely a long time user and very active with working with them to produce the best GPS app available. Please post up questions, comments, concerns, and suggestions.

A new version for iOS is launching very soon. A new Android version will follow shortly after that. Then I see the MVUM map layers being net. The MVUM layer is officially in the development pipeline but I don't have a delivery date. Once the new version is released I will be writing some new posts on my site and will share this info here as well.

While I am here to answer questions there are good official resources at your disposal.

http://blog.gaiagps.com/ - All of the important updates are written about here

https://www.reddit.com/r/GaiaGPS/ - Official support forums

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us - Official Help files

If anything changes to the above links I will edit this post. I also hope other Gaia GPS users will chime in to help answer questions.

Gaia is going to make a more dedicated push into the overlanding community this year. I of course fully support these efforts. The best current example would be the future implementation of the MVUM layer. I along with others (THANK YOU) have been asking Gaia to add this feature.

Free 1 year Pro Subscription Details Here:
http://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/navigation-app-choice-gaia-gps/

My setup:
Gaia GPS Pro for iOS
iPad Air 2
Ram Mount
Delorme InReach Explorer (this is used as the GPS for my iPad)

I have an Android phone for testing purposes and an older Android tablet but am not an expert on everything Android.

Preferred Map Layers:
USFS 2016 and USFS Classic
Gaia Topo
USGS Topo
Gaia Roadmap, Open Streets

6/20/17 Additions:
Available map layers - https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003524587-What-maps-are-included-in-Gaia-GPS-

Map legends now available online - https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003639928-Map-Legends

Thanks,
Chris aka 1Louder
Thank you so much for this. I'm new to overlanding and this forum. I have a Delorme InReach Explorer, and iPhone 8Plus and a 12.9" iPad Pro. I'm going to test Gaia with these devices and see what works best for me. Any best practice recommendations?

Thanks again!

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
@1Louder - Hey, I was wondering if there is any development going on WRT/ adding CarPlay capabilities to GaiaGPS? At the moment, I use my iPadPro 9.7" as my primary Gaia map (cup holder in middle console,) zoomed out to give me a "regional" view of where I am on the trail, North up. On my iPhone, I use Gaia zoomed in for trail detail, track up. It would be fabulous, if I could use the CarPlay display (much bigger than iPhone X !!!) for the track-up on trail view (I'd keep the 'overview map on the iPad.)

I'd be game to beta test, if needed :) .

-Alain

Reactions: Liana Lehua

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
@1Louder - Hey, I was wondering if there is any development going on WRT/ adding CarPlay capabilities to GaiaGPS? At the moment, I use my iPadPro 9.7" as my primary Gaia map (cup holder in middle console,) zoomed out to give me a "regional" view of where I am on the trail, North up. On my iPhone, I use Gaia zoomed in for trail detail, track up. It would be fabulous, if I could use the CarPlay display (much bigger than iPhone X !!!) for the track-up on trail view (I'd keep the 'overview map on the iPad.)

I'd be game to beta test, if needed :) .

-Alain
I don't think this is on the roadmap anytime soon. You can always request this feature in the Gaia GPS community forums. I think someone already has and maybe that was you.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

Wotan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
I don't think this is on the roadmap anytime soon. You can always request this feature in the Gaia GPS community forums. I think someone already has and maybe that was you.
Thanks. Yeah, I figured that'd be a long shot, since CarPlay is only in its infancy being adopted by the general population. I did in fact add my name to the existing feature request for iOS; I do think that having the ability to use GaiaGPS on carplay enabled devices would be a competitive differentiator, though. The cards which have the carplay-capable (actually, both carplay and android car) devices built in is only increasing, and from what I understand the API is pretty straightforward.

Oh well; guess I'll continue using it the way I have been...

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

I've read this entire thread and have been looking over Gaia's site as well. Hopefully I haven't missed the answer to this question.

I like to save my data from trips....camp sites, trail heads, bike trails, fresh water sources, dump stations....that sort of stuff. Or see where others have stayed and input that data into my map for future reference. Does Gaia allow me to save these points as a permanent record (in that I can get them on any map layer? Might they actually store on my device or in the apps software program?)

That way when I visit somewhere and find points of interest I want to return to, I can save their locations (using an icon marker of some sort) for my next trip?

I've been doing this with Google maps and am hoping it works in a similar fashion on Gaia since Google maps doesn't work well off line.

Thanks for doing this thread, it has been great information for my research.

JOSX2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mebane, NC
Member #

I've read this entire thread and have been looking over Gaia's site as well. Hopefully I haven't missed the answer to this question.

I like to save my data from trips....camp sites, trail heads, bike trails, fresh water sources, dump stations....that sort of stuff. Or see where others have stayed and input that data into my map for future reference. Does Gaia allow me to save these points as a permanent record (in that I can get them on any map layer? Might they actually store on my device or in the apps software program?)

That way when I visit somewhere and find points of interest I want to return to, I can save their locations (using an icon marker of some sort) for my next trip?

I've been doing this with Google maps and am hoping it works in a similar fashion on Gaia since Google maps doesn't work well off line.

Thanks for doing this thread, it has been great information for my research.
Yup.. Sure can! That's the idea behind it [emoji6]

Reactions: stevenboise

RVA_T4R

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midlothian Virginia
Member #

i am new to gaia and i trying to learn how to use the app and find knew trails to explore. Do you know of any write ups or videos that would help me?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Probably a stupid question or I missed the answer somewhere along the way, but how do you scroll the map when creating routes on the web based version? I'm zoomed in to follow a trail but then when I get to the edge of the map I can't figure out how to move the map because I am still in "route" creation mode. Thanks!

JOSX2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mebane, NC
Member #

Probably a stupid question or I missed the answer somewhere along the way, but how do you scroll the map when creating routes on the web based version? I'm zoomed in to follow a trail but then when I get to the edge of the map I can't figure out how to move the map because I am still in "route" creation mode. Thanks!
just click & hold to move the map. Release to stop moving the map.....then resume 'regular clicking' to add in route points

Reactions: dstock

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I've only had one opportunity to test the app in offline mode. I downloaded a section of western VA where we like to explore and included the National Geographic Trails Illustrated layer for that area. Those maps are the most detailed and easiest to read, for me. Some of the map allowed me to zoom in beautifully but most of it was blurry at the level of detail required for the area we were in. Any tips for preventing this in the future?

Sadly I cannot remember whether this was on IOS 11.x on an iPhone 7+ or current Android on a Nexus 7 tablet.

Montaska

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Anchorage/Nikiski, Alaska
Member #

When I try to make a route the Save link is on-top of the Cancel link and I can't click Save. Tried rotating the phone but no luck.

Edit: Will uninstall and re-install on my iPhone. I figured out how to do the route on the website and transfer over, so I think I'm good now.

We just bought property and I think using this will be the best way to get there since it's kind of a pain (which is why we bought it!) :smile:

Last edited: