Jason
Last Name
Alberring
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC9YQ
Service Branch
US Army
I had a couple of posts here asking questions about routing but they seemed to have disappeared.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Sean S

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
The NEW version of GAIA GPS for iOS has been released!

http://blog.gaiagps.com/next-generation-gaia-gps-now-national-geographic/

Please read this blog post because there is LOTS of information in it. I will try to answer questions as I can.

Extended Trials for Existing Users
Already have the old Gaia GPS? You get an extended free trial with the new app – up to two years based on purchase date. The more recently you bought Gaia GPS, the longer the free usage period, on a sliding scale. You can also continue to use the old app.

The biggest change regarding cost of the app:
The app is free to download and try for 7 days. It is then $9.99 a year or $29.99 yr for the Pro level. So the pro subscription got cheaper and after 2 years you would be even money on the cost of the old version.

Additionally, existing users with “GaiaPro” subscriptions from the old app get access to the new app at no additional cost, including National Geographic and all other Premium maps.

Existing Gaia GPS users can read an FAQ here: https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115007658388-FAQ-New-iOS-App-vs-Old-iOS-App
Thanks for offering to answer questions about the roll-out of the new app. I just bought the old app a few weeks ago. If I install the new app, will it erase and replace the old app on my Iphone/Ipad? I would like to keep the old one for the time being while I evaluate the new one.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Thanks for offering to answer questions about the roll-out of the new app. I just bought the old app a few weeks ago. If I install the new app, will it erase and replace the old app on my Iphone/Ipad? I would like to keep the old one for the time being while I evaluate the new one.
Nope, old app is old and new is new. Totally separate so you can run both. You will get credit for your purchase in the new app for the subscription fee. It depends on purchase date of the old app. All of that info is in the FAQ from GAIA.

Reactions: Sean S

Ballbearing

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

US
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Alberring
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC9YQ
Service Branch
US Army
Hack-o-Rama if you can recollect your thoughts re-post them.
To summarize: I made a route in Google maps, imported to Google earth, saved as a KML file, downloaded to Gaia. The route show up as a red line. I tried the add route feature via computer and began placing dots on the red line in the direction I intended to drive. I got about halfway and the program zoomed out and I lost all the route dots. This happened twice. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and haven't had a chance to try via my android tablet yet.
I can always just follow that as a track rather than a route right?
Thanks.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I can always just follow that as a track rather than a route right?
Thanks.

Gaia can explain the difference between routes and tracks better than I can. I think there is an FAQ. Yes, if you have a track line or route line it makes no difference. There is no turn by turn instructions so you are just following the line and any waypoints you decide to add.

Reactions: Overland 505

hardhat

Rank I

Contributor III

Nevada
Be gentle with me - new guy with Gaia. Is there a way to load a large region into gaia - i.e. a couple of states at a time? And then to update those maps as necessary? im new to it, but it seems very tedious to load in small chuncks and keep track of what youve loaded in and how the regions fit together. in my limited experience, it limits you to a number of tiles - which is probably ok for hiking since you know your range pretty well - by not as useful for overland if you are doing a long trip. Am i missing something? Would appreciate any help.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Be gentle with me - new guy with Gaia. Is there a way to load a large region into gaia - i.e. a couple of states at a time? And then to update those maps as necessary? im new to it, but it seems very tedious to load in small chuncks and keep track of what youve loaded in and how the regions fit together. in my limited experience, it limits you to a number of tiles - which is probably ok for hiking since you know your range pretty well - by not as useful for overland if you are doing a long trip. Am i missing something? Would appreciate any help.
What version are you using? iOS or Android. Important to know. Then I can try to help you further. Thanks, Chris

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
In general, all versions, you can download an entire state of you want. It depends on how much storage space you have, the layers selected (if you are a pro user), and zoom level. When save any map you get to name it what you want and that will be stored in your settings for future use. A screenshot from my iPhone is below. Since you question is pretty generic the help files which Gaia provides online can also give you guidance.

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003525127-Download-Maps-for-Offline-Use

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
The MVUM map layer has been added to GAIA GPS!!!!! Latest version just released. You must have a pro subscription. More later. I have to read up on the details.

The layer is interactive. You can tap on the road and the app will provide details about access. I am hoping Gaia will put out a blog post to give further explanation.

From the Gaia Team - "Yes, it will work on Android/web, and Gaia GPS Classic if you have GaiaPro.

It's only interactive in the new iOS app though - you can't tap the overlay for more info on the other parts of the platform."

iPhone view

Last edited:

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

1Louder, any further info on when the new version for Android will be out? I really want to buy the app, but don't want to pay for the old version only to have to pay again for the new version a month or two later.

Thanks!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
1Louder, any further info on when the new version for Android will be out? I really want to buy the app, but don't want to pay for the old version only to have to pay again for the new version a month or two later.

Thanks!
You won't have to pay again. You will get a credit for the purchase of the current version against the new subscription model. Most likely a year free. Feel free to ask Gaia that question directly though. I haven't heard any updates on the timeline yet.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

This app has been an amazing addition to my arsenal. I purchased the Pro version back in April. Huge props to the developers for carrying that over to the new updated app. Customer/Supporter for life. That's how you win people.

My only complaint still about this app, is tile size limit in downloading offline maps. I wish they allowed something like dropbox syncing on that. That way I could just mass download tiles to dropbox and sync it to my ipad.

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
Just downloaded update to new phone (6s+), said "as a prev subscriber" I get a two day preview period for the app?? I had a pro sub through a club deal but not a good experience on an old 5. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Just downloaded update to new phone (6s+), said "as a prev subscriber" I get a two day preview period for the app?? I had a pro sub through a club deal but not a good experience on an old 5. Thanks

Contact support if you think something is wrong with your subscription/trial. Not something I can help you with.

Sent from my iPhone expect typos, grammatical errors, and any other invalid excuse.

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
Contact support if you think something is wrong with your subscription/trial. Not something I can help you with.

Sent from my iPhone expect typos, grammatical errors, and any other invalid excuse.
Thanks, no worries. I worked with them in a very similar capacity as you to help bring Gaia to the club. I didn't have sufficient hardware att so didn't use it much on device.
Interesting to the the Hema (?) relationship grown. Scott at OJ promoted it quite heavily.

Thanks again, /to

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

It's too bad you have to buy one version or the other. I use an iPhone most of the time and would like to have Gaia on there, but I'm using an Android tablet for navigating off road.

Any idea if Gaia will be doing a single purchase type deal?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
It's too bad you have to buy one version or the other. I use an iPhone most of the time and would like to have Gaia on there, but I'm using an Android tablet for navigating off road.

Any idea if Gaia will be doing a single purchase type deal?
That under the old app was difficult to do because each app was a separate paid app. Once the new Android app launches and changes to a subscription model it might be possible. I would contact Gaia and ask.

Reactions: YETI X