Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

I have never been on the Back Road to Crown King didn't want to do it Solo

We stop for lunch on the Horsethief basin trail looked like a lot of camping spots not sure couldn't find anything on the map but saw fire rings and few jeeps parked together. crown king road, Back road to Crown King and Horsethief Basin all three trails meet up just outside of the town of Crown king

Reactions: freak4life

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
I am down for the 7th of Nov should be cooler by then too it was still over 100 on Friday up there
Great, there was a question above about a stock Colorado, I sent him towards trailsoffroad but maybe you could give them some better advise.
Hopefully we can generate some more interest and make a meet out of it.

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

I am down for the 7th of Nov should be cooler by then too it was still over 100 on Friday up there
Great, there was a question above about a stock Colorado, I sent him towards trailsoffroad but maybe you could give them some better advise.
Hopefully we can generate some more interest and make a meet out of it.
Sounds good I don’t know much about the trail other then What I seen on Trailsoffroad I love there site and videos I would actually like to write for them but need to work on my camera skills.

TDG Explore

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Buckeye, AZ, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1DOM
I think the key is tires, are you on street or an off road tire? Stock height should be fine but I have not gone on the route, check out trailsoffroad.com for a review.
Thanks...I forgot to mention it's a stock Z71. Tires are Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar.

IamMachines

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Lauro
Member #

Hey guys, getting caught up here. I am relocating San Diego >> Flagstaff. Moving for me starts friday and will finish next week. There is a massive uhaul trailer shortage in Calif (everyone is leaving this state) so I have to do it in 2 trips.

Im down for Nov 7th if everyone is cool with that date. Just start a rally point and lets do this!

Im in a fairly well built Tacoma which takes me most places.

Untitled-2.jpg

Forte

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
McW
Member #

I'm interested... Both rigs down for maintenance currently but the Jimmy should be ready by Nov 7th. Will have to find someone to babysit.

@bawesomfels check it out.

Edit:
Reviews seem mixed, from "we did it on street tires" to "WE ALMOST DIED!!!1!" haha...

Last edited:

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hey guys, getting caught up here. I am relocating San Diego >> Flagstaff. Moving for me starts friday and will finish next week. There is a massive uhaul trailer shortage in Calif (everyone is leaving this state) so I have to do it in 2 trips.

Im down for Nov 7th if everyone is cool with that date. Just start a rally point and lets do this!

Im in a fairly well built Tacoma which takes me most places.

View attachment 172826
Your rig looks like it will be fine, if you have any ideas for a rally point please share them, I have never been on this trail. All ideas are welcomed.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
I'm interested... Both rigs down for maintenance currently but the Jimmy should be ready by Nov 7th. Will have to find someone to babysit.

Edit:
Reviews seem mixed, from "we did it on street tires" to "WE ALMOST DIED!!!1!" haha...
It should be fine, Billygoat might be able to help with this, I do believe he has made the run before.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Sounds good I don’t know much about the trail other then What I seen on Trailsoffroad I love there site and videos I would actually like to write for them but need to work on my camera skills.
Well I suggested your help for Forte, sorry, I thought you made the run before, he has off road tires so he should be good.

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

Edit:
It should be fine, Billygoat might be able to help with this, I do believe he has made the run before.
I have not been on the back road to Crown king

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I have not gone on the route, if you go to the web site trailsoffroad.com they have a review and it would seem that at an spot that is difficult there is a alternative that is easier. The weekends work best for me also. Hopefully we can get a decent turnout.
In my research it looks like there are bypasses until you get to the top / last section at this point you have the choice of a 25 mile bypass or doing the hard sections that may include body or paint damage. Since it is a busy route you will be holding up a lot of people. So to be safe and thoughtful to others I will have to avoid this trail. For me overlanding is certainly about getting there but, it does not require me to look for the most difficult way to get there. I look forward to meeting up with you guys...

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
In my research it looks like there are bypasses until you get to the top / last section at this point you have the choice of a 25 mile bypass or doing the hard sections that may include body or paint damage. Since it is a busy route you will be holding up a lot of people. So to be safe and thoughtful to others I will have to avoid this trail. For me overlanding is certainly about getting there but, it does not require me to look for the most difficult way to get there. I look forward to meeting up with you guys...
Maybe if we can do a meet and greet before in town before the run you can make it.

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

Totally agree with "For me Overlanding is certainly about getting there but, it does not require me to look for the most difficult way to get there."

There is a reason I haven't done it solo. I defiantly think we need to meet up before one to plan and make good choices plus it is just nice to know the people you ride with. I am up for the challenge but I would like to do the bypass on the stuff that is above my skill level or that will do worse damage. I still have a 2+ hour drive home after.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Totally agree with "For me Overlanding is certainly about getting there but, it does not require me to look for the most difficult way to get there."

There is a reason I haven't done it solo. I defiantly think we need to meet up before one to plan and make good choices plus it is just nice to know the people you ride with. I am up for the challenge but I would like to do the bypass on the stuff that is above my skill level or that will do worse damage. I still have a 2+ hour drive home after.
So, shall we try to arrange a meet before the 7th?

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

So, shall we try to arrange a meet before the 7th?
Sounds good meet up for some grub and just chat.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Do you want to try to get a meet going before the 7th, Billy gout is ok with that.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn

Edit:
We are trying to set up a meet/greet before the 7th, thoughts?

Reactions: bawesomfels