Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hey there AZ Overlanders

New here and we’re out in the West Valley. Would love to engage with AZ folks for advice, recommendations and meet ups. Done some camping in the past but relatively new to overlanding.
Some of us are trying to set up an Az Overlanders meet and ride up the back route to Crown King, what does your schedule look like and are you wanting to go?

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
+1 being new, I'd love a meet and greet. I was surprised to see on the map that most states around us have all kinds of Rally Points, but we are kind of a blank. We gotta fix it! :)

View attachment 171231
Hi all, losing my job in Nebraska has lead me back home to the desert. Holed up in Fountain Hills for now while I search for jobs... (I'm a mechanical engineer with 5 years in a production environment managing teams and quality engineering projects if anyone has any leads)

But enough about me, hoping to hit the home trails again soon with @bawesomfels after I'm all moved in here.

Just installed a 2" body lift and 31s on my rig!
View attachment 167062
Some of us are trying to set up an Az Overlanders meet and ride up the back route to Crown King, what does your schedule look like and are you wanting to go?

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
I just moved here from Nevada... Originally (20 years ago) I am Florida boy. I live outside Wickenburg and look forward to meeting and doing some trips around here. I am not into rock crawling, big dents or breaking things but, my body work certainly has a lot of pin stripes and my rig is pretty capable.

View attachment 168712

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Hello to all the Az Over-landers trying to set up a trail ride up the back way to Crown King and combined that with a meet, what does your schedule look like and are you wanting to participate ?
I replied to some directly but hard to find everyone so post back let’s try to make this happen.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I am generally free on weekends. What is the difficulty of that route? I have a 2011 Tahoe with a 4 inch lift and it is my primary transportation so, I can't afford body damage but, it has plenty of scratches... lol

Reactions: freak4life

TDG Explore

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Buckeye, AZ, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1DOM
F
I am up for a group trip anytime. Been trying to find people to go out with!!!
Fun easy drive with the family is right up our alley. We were thinking about Vulture Mine Trail we found on All Trails as a quick family outing this weekend. Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions? And +1 to get a group together.

TDG Explore

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Buckeye, AZ, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1DOM
Hello to all the Az Over-landers trying to set up a trail ride up the back way to Crown King and combined that with a meet, what does your schedule look like and are you wanting to participate ?
I replied to some directly but hard to find everyone so post back let’s try to make this happen.
We're game and generally free on weekends. What's the difficulty level...in a stock 2019 Chevy Colorado - just removed the air dam yesterday!

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

This weekend I am unable to go but I am open after that, what looks good for you? Anyone else wanting to make thie run to Crown King?
I cant this weekend we had a death in the family on the wife's side so we have a family celebration dinner Saturday. what why would you be interested in the main road to Crown King is a well-maintained fire road very scenic but I didn't it in 2wd, I did air down to save our backs. The back road to Crown King is challenging.

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

I should have read down farther, I am in if I can, for a back road to crown king I didn't want to do it solo. I have it mapped out with route and tracks if anyone needs it I use Trailofforad and Gaia for almost everything with paper maps as back up.

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

F

Fun easy drive with the family is right up our alley. We were thinking about Vulture Mine Trail we found on All Trails as a quick family outing this weekend. Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions? And +1 to get a group together.
I cant this weekend but trying to find info on Vulture Mine Trail looked at it on all trails but not much info given.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
I am generally free on weekends. What is the difficulty of that route? I have a 2011 Tahoe with a 4 inch lift and it is my primary transportation so, I can't afford body damage but, it has plenty of scratches... lol
I have not gone on the route, if you go to the web site trailsoffroad.com they have a review and it would seem that at an spot that is difficult there is a alternative that is easier. The weekends work best for me also. Hopefully we can get a decent turnout.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
We're game and generally free on weekends. What's the difficulty level...in a stock 2019 Chevy Colorado - just removed the air dam yesterday!
I think the key is tires, are you on street or an off road tire? Stock height should be fine but I have not gone on the route, check out trailsoffroad.com for a review.

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

Back road to Crown King
Difficulty:4-6