Arizona Overlanders

• HTML tutorial

yak51

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Sounds like a good time. I'd like to come if there are no objections. Not sure that I can make it yet, but I would like to.

Thanks

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
New here to the forum and to the Prescott area. It would be nice to get out with some of you.
Prescott is the HQ of the original overland empire, the magazine Overland Journal is based there, Adventure Trailers, Maxtrax and more is in Prescott.
Welcome and when there is less snow you can expect all us Phoenix folks to be invading your space :)

From where you are go west into the desert and check out the Alamo lake are for the remains of Signal, Swansea, Planet and Bouse (Patton tank training area), then go a little more west for Quartzite/KofA.
This is the time of year to play in the desert, especially towards spring when the wildflowers start blooming.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
We go out to Table mesa to shoot and do some light wheeling. We are surrounded by great trails! Im just not into the trails where I'm gonna get body damage :)
The front way to Crown King and then hit Senator highway to Prescott is a fun trail with great camp spots along the way. 90% of the trail is a 2 vehicle wide road. Did it last weekend and there is still snow up near Prescott still on the trail - not just in the shade under the trees. There are a lot of trails in the area that will not damage your vehicle.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

Where is everyone located?

I am located at the corner of Gilbert, Meas and Apache Junction.
I'm currently in Charlotte, NC...but I'm aiming to move back to the Phoenix area at some point in 2020. I'm originally from Los Angeles, but lived in AZ (Queen Creek) from 2006-2012. I loved it other than the summers, but one thing that is drawing me back is I hardly did any camping or exploring while I lived there. And now that I've gotten into overlanding, the urge to move back is too great. I love exploring North Carolina and the surrounding states, and the forests are amazing...but there is nothing like the West when it comes to the outdoors. Hopefully I'll be able to connect with a few of you at the point that i finally move back out to AZ.

Being a full size Silverado...its also pretty tight at times on the trails here in NC, so looking forward to the vast open wilderness out West haha

Attachments

Carl Raymond

Rank 0

Contributor I

Phoenix AZ
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Raymond
New to AZ, but have been a long time "camp in the back of the truck" guy. Turns out they call it Overlanding. lol. Just came down in NOV from a summer trip to AK. Thought I'd say hello, and it was fun meeting a few folks at the last Gilbert monthly meetup at the BBQ joint. Heading out this weekend with the dog for a little overnight exploration 50 miles N of PHX or so. Happy travels.

Reactions: KenDF and Big G

CValencia

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Carmen
Last Name
Valencia
Member #

Hi everyone! My name is Carmen and I'm in the southern region of Phoenix (Ahwatukee). I recently traded my Nissan Versa Note for a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x2 and I'm anxious to get out and adventure. I'm a complete novice so I'm looking to join a group who will take me under their wing and show me the ropes. I'm pretty open on the type of adventure. Right now weekend or day trips are more doable. Also, I'm looking for a mix of overlanding and driving out on the dirt roads. I know I can't do anything crazy with a 4x2 but if anyone has any advice, knows a good group in the Phoenix area and/or knows some good starting trails; please let me know.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
I'm currently in Charlotte, NC...but I'm aiming to move back to the Phoenix area at some point in 2020. I'm originally from Los Angeles, but lived in AZ (Queen Creek) from 2006-2012. I loved it other than the summers, but one thing that is drawing me back is I hardly did any camping or exploring while I lived there. And now that I've gotten into overlanding, the urge to move back is too great. I love exploring North Carolina and the surrounding states, and the forests are amazing...but there is nothing like the West when it comes to the outdoors. Hopefully I'll be able to connect with a few of you at the point that i finally move back out to AZ.

Being a full size Silverado...its also pretty tight at times on the trails here in NC, so looking forward to the vast open wilderness out West haha
Let's hear it for full size Silverados--Whoohoo!

Reactions: Hagz & the Hounds

Rollin Dirty Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mesa, AZ
First Name
Jim
Last Name
G
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7RDO
Part 3 of the Great Divide Trail series is (finally) up. I hope you like it. We're starting to get into a stride now that the first few days on the trail are behind us. No more overcrowded camp sites (for now). No more shifty looking folks following us up a dead-end trail. And, most importantly, no more lost wallets!

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
New Member, I'm in Tucson
oh you have some amazing play areas down south there....
Go check out Ruby, the caretaker is a hoot and some of the buildings look like you could move in tomorrow.
I love southern az when the temps get stupid here in Phx as there is some nice elevation down there

Reactions: JORCAN

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
Last year a group of us completed sections 1 and 2 of the AZBDR. This year I started at section 2 and finished up at the end of section 5.
My daughter and I had a great time with some fellow Arizona Tacoma World enthusiasts on part of the Arizona Back Country Discovery Route.
Thank you all for making this a memorable weekend.