Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Welcome, @desertpir8, i'm down in Tucson. Your van looks AWESOME!

Camp Fyah JK

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tempe, AZ, USA
Member #

Checking in from Tempe, AZ. Just found this AZ section and was glad to see there are so many members in the valley. I have not been very active on the site but am looking to get more involved this year. I would be very interested in some trail runs and camping trips for 2019. Any suggestions for camping spots would be greatly appreciated. I typically head to Payson in Spring but want to explore some new options soon. We are hitting prime camping weather here in AZ so I am looking to take advantage as much as possible. Heading to Bartlett Lake this weekend for a quick getaway weekend trip.

-CampFyah JK

Camp Fyah JK

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tempe, AZ, USA
Member #

I plan on checking out this edge of the world place everyone talks about N of Sedona. Never been. April 18-22
I have heard great things about "The Edge of the World" spot and is definitely on my list of places to camp this year.

I'm heading to Colorado for a concert April 19th-22nd. DANG.

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

I have heard great things about "The Edge of the World" spot and is definitely on my list of places to camp this year.

I'm heading to Colorado for a concert April 19th-22nd. DANG.
You won’t be disappointed, great location and awesome view.

AZPAJERO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale
Member #

Sup AZ peeps. I'm the FNG around here I guess. Looks like there's a pretty good contingent of AZ off-roaders on here.

Here is my rig. I'm up in Snottsdale around Shea/101 area.

Anybody else get out and play in the snow last week? This shot was just 5 or 6 miles North of my house. CRAZY.88379

AZPAJERO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale
Member #

New member from Mesa, AZ, #14100. Been working on building my $500 1999 Ford E-350 4x4.. Finished 4x4 conversion and axle swaps (front and rear) late last year.

Now working on building out the interior and getting it outfitted for a 700 mile Arizona Strip overlanding trip later this year. You guys have probably seen me rolling around the east valley working the bugs out of my build. Looking forward to making some new friends here and joining in on some adventures (suitable for a full size rig). Also, I can weld and fabricate if anyone needs assistance in that respect.

Here's a couple photos from our expedition to the bottom of the Grand Canyon last month.
View attachment 87866View attachment 87865
Dude sweet rig man. Good to know you got weld/fab skills. Sucks as I just commissioned place called Affordable Custom Welding to help with buttoning up some 'stuff'. Hope to see you around.

MEFOBIA-JEEP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tucson AZ
Member #

I plan on checking out this edge of the world place everyone talks about N of Sedona. Never been. April 18-22
I have been there, and would be interested in going again. I know a few good spots. The road back is a long washboard, but the view there are 2nd to none. Need to go before teh Expo crowd gets up there.

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Are any of you guys using a K&N filter in AZ. Anything good or bad to say about them in the desert environment. Air seems to be a lot of discussion if they are good in the desert or not.

Dbronco20/#15203

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gilbert, Maricopa, AZ, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Pagliasotti
Member #

Updated photo!

Phase 1 complete.

Just installed my suspension lift consisting of Bilstein 6112 coil overs fronts on the 5th clip- 6150’s with Remotes rear, and OME medium duty leafs.

Purchased from Rogue Off Rode: Bilstein Stage 4.

Perfectly level - and provided the room for some 285/70 R17 BFG KO2’s and Method 308’s!

Couldn’t be more happy with the look, and ride. (It’s stiff but it should be)

Phase 2: Ditch lights (still deciding on brand), rock sliders (purchased from AVID), skid plate.

Then I am going to take a breather and play around for a while

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
Are any of you guys using a K&N filter in AZ. Anything good or bad to say about them in the desert environment. Air seems to be a lot of discussion if they are good in the desert or not.
TBH I used to run fancy filters years ago. They really make no difference and it’s a lot easier to pop in an Oreilleys and get a WIX in a pinch, otherwise i just order a Toyota OEM from amazon when I think of it.

Dbronco20/#15203

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gilbert, Maricopa, AZ, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Pagliasotti
Member #

TBH I used to run fancy filters years ago. They really make no difference and it’s a lot easier to pop in an Oreilleys and get a WIX in a pinch, otherwise i just order a Toyota OEM from amazon when I think of it.
I have heard the same about KN. Not an “upgrade” in function, but they sound cool. Kinda like a turbo whine - but no real improvement on HP or airflow.

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've had one for a bit. I'm switching back to OEM once the parts come. I knew I made a mistake discarding it all.

MEFOBIA-JEEP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tucson AZ
Member #

K&N re a bad choice if you re off road a lot. Fine of the street. A WIX OEM or AC Delco are the two best at trapping particulates.

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
I also saw somewhere there was a 25% off Midland GMRS units. Couldn’t find a code or a link to a code. Anyone have one?

Reactions: brien

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
And because sharing is caring, Sportsmen’s Warehouse a A LOT of gear on clearance, self inflating mats, fluid containers, cooking gear etc. And REI Chandler is having a garage sale this Saturday 0900-1300

Reactions: AZPAJERO

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
So I see there is a Nothern meetup and Southern AZ meetup that are reoccurring. Is there a Central AZ leader?
We will focus attention on getting a regular recurring Phoenix area meetup off and running soon!

I also saw somewhere there was a 25% off Midland GMRS units. Couldn’t find a code or a link to a code. Anyone have one?
I'm not sure about %25, but code NOMAD will get you %20 off.

Reactions: AZBubs and AZPAJERO