AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
Thank you. I was just looking in that area on a few maps. Any particular spots to camp that standout?
Well if you are able to find montana mountain trail maps that should help a lot. There are camp spot on the top in the pines and there are trail heads. This area is very remote so pack in pack out. No bathrooms. no water.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Howdy AZ members
We (my wife, our 11 yo daughter, and I in our Jeep - plus a friend flying solo in his Tacoma) are planning a trip to the Superstition Mountains area this weekend Fri-Sun. I'm working on planning a route today. My wife and I have backpacked out there but have never camped from our vehicle in the area. I think we want to stick to the east side where it's a bit greener and we can get into the elevation. Any suggestions? Anyone interested in joining us? Keeping an eye on the temps and the weather. Rainy day today in AZ!
Another spot might be up near the saddle on Four Peaks road. I saw what looks like some nice camp spots in the pines and boulders up near the top. From what I can tell a lot of the Superstitions is Wilderness so no motorized camping. There are some places to pull off and camp along the "Trail" past Tortilla Flats. There are a few official campgrounds as you get closer to the dam and Rosevelt Lake.

Wish we could join you but we have a wedding in the Chicago area we are going to. Not to happy about that but at least I'll get some good pizza and beef sandwich. LOL

Todd

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Thanks all!
@Todd & Meg enjoy the trip! Jealous! It's been a few too many years since we've been back to Chicago for Lou Malnatis and Luke's!
You do know there are two Lou Malnati locations in the valley. one in PHX Central and Camelback and the newest one in north Scottsdale. And there will be one coming to the east valley next year.

This trip back we are going to Oven Grinders in Lincoln Park.

Have a good time camping.

Adventure4rx4

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
4rx4
Member #

Thank you. I was just looking in that area on a few maps. Any particular spots to camp that standout?
There some cool spots up on the Montana loop. Here a gps coordinates of some camping spots. I love this trail and the Arizona trail up there too. 33.41436, -111.16447

Also on my YouTube page there a video of the loop.

DharmaInitiativePhoenix

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix AZ
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Szopinski
Member #

You do know there are two Lou Malnati locations in the valley. one in PHX Central and Camelback and the newest one in north Scottsdale. And there will be one coming to the east valley next year.

This trip back we are going to Oven Grinders in Lincoln Park.

Have a good time camping.
Oh yes! We went to Malnatis probably 4 times the first month the opened. Try to limit it to once a year now for birthday dinner. Love that place.

Bryan Treguboff

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Goodyear, AZ
Member #

Meetup posted! I decided to go with a simple "Meet and Greet" meetup for this first event.

The meetup will happen at Sentinel Peak Park, A.K.A. "A Mountain", it just one turn off of I-10 and very easy to get to for anybody interested in coming from outside of the greater Tucson area. The event will start at 9am and go until at least noon if not later, that will give time for any Phoenix area attendees to get here without needing to wake up super duper early.

Rally Point Details: Southern Arizona Overland Bound Rigs and Coffee Meetup
Forum thread: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/southern-arizona-overland-bound-rigs-and-coffee-meetup-10-20-2018.19296/

I auto-generated event invites for anybody within 160 miles or so, but the event is open to anybody else as well.

If you are attending, please RSVP to the Rally Point so i have a good idea of how much coffee and pastries i need to provide
Wish I could make this one, but just happens to fall on a date I already have full. I will hopefully make the next one and get to meet some you guys.

Reactions: brien

Adventure4rx4

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Rathdrum, ID, USA
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
4rx4
Member #

How was all that rain from that hurricane?
I wasn't there, but family told me they get like 4+ inches. Hope trails survived.
It was nice man. You missed out. It was a lot of fun to go out on some trails and play in the mud. Finally got to try out the km3 I put on. They were amazing!!![emoji1363]

Reactions: CROwarrior21m

CopperstateJake

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mesa, AZ, USA
First Name
Jakeb
Last Name
Belnap
Member #

New person right here. Live in Northeast Mesa. Finally upgraded the fancy fuel efficient car for a big boy full size rig(14 F150 4x4). Looking forward to getting out and camping in it, as well as transform it into the rig I want it to be. Will most likely stick to forest roads and mild offroading, nothing extreme. Just wanting to get out more and take photos(Landscape and Astro). Glad to be apart of the AZ group and get involved in future events, when work allows.

First trip is Oct 26th till morning of the 29th. Heading up to the Rim, behind Woods Canyon lake. Looking forward to doing a little bit of exploring on some of those forest roads.

I need to spend some time exploring these forums......there is a lot of content haha