Arizona Overlanders

• HTML tutorial

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Where can I do some disbursed camping in cooler weather? Sounds like everything is closed due to fire restrictions

Wife was interested in leaving for somewhere tomorrow night

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Where can I do some disbursed camping in cooler weather? Sounds like everything is closed due to fire restrictions

AZ Peace Trail FR7101 south of Kingman. NO FIRES!
It was open last weekend at least. All subject to change.
https://firerestrictions.us/az/

Reactions: MoreGone

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV

Arizona Strip,Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument its about 6000ft ish......No permits or fire restrictions today.

https://www.nps.gov/para/index.htm

Jim

Reactions: MoreGone

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Chiricahua Mountains are still open. They are still under Stage II fire restriction, but unless you really need a campfire you'll be fine. Propane stoves are allowed. There's a ton of really good higher altitude (6k-8k ft) dispersed camping there in addition to a few really nice developed USFS campsites, like Rucker Forest Camp ($10/night). Lookup Tex Canyon, Pinery Canyon Rd, Pine, Canyon Rd, Rucker Canyon, Barfoot Park Trail.

Here's my Chiricahua Mountains folder on Gaia, sometimes I go kinda nuts with my routing and research, so there's quite a bit of information in here, but hopefully it's of use to you if you decide to venture down that way: https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/folder/145eb35f-917f-45b9-9363-a754bec7502c/

Our two favorite camp spots are this dispersed one just down Pine Canyon before the trail really gets rough:
https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/waypoint/6de5ec160cbdec39706a4c4da7df8d61/

and this one at the top of Rucker Canyon (not dispersed, $10/night in an envelope to camp): https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/waypoint/bf04749d2702cc9d993f0a058350cb11/

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Wow, thanks to all of you for the answers! Unfortunately we didn't gt out of town last night since I wanted to change out a shot motor mount first. Took up part of the day and we didnt have enough day left to pack and role out. Got plans to go to Saguaro tomorrow so we will be hanging tight until Sunday which we might take off at that time.

Reactions: brien

JackP

Rank II

Advocate II

I'm looking at heading to northern Arizona (in the page area) this upcoming weekend and was looking for some good camping spot suggestions. I don't want to be in an established campground, I would rather be somewhere somewhat secluded. Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated!

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

I'm looking at heading to northern Arizona (in the page area) this upcoming weekend and was looking for some good camping spot suggestions. I don't want to be in an established campground, I would rather be somewhere somewhat secluded. Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated!

3 out of the 4 posts above were helping give me some pointers and had some northern sites that are/were? not closed off due to fire restrictions

These fire restrictions really are putting a damper on things

I believe I heard somewhere that the reservations aren't under fire restrictions but no definitive answer from me on that.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
3 out of the 4 posts above were helping give me some pointers and had some northern sites that are/were? not closed off due to fire restrictions

These fire restrictions really are putting a damper on things

I believe I heard somewhere that the reservations aren't under fire restrictions but no definitive answer from me on that.
Most of the reservations are closed as well. Get direct info and not 2nd hand. Not sure where to find that other than here, https://firerestrictions.us/az/

Folks you don't need a fire! Go enjoy the outdoors without one. Not saying anyone of OB would break the rules but when others do more places will get closed. Don't have a fire anywhere in AZ at the moment! Find the rules, follow the rules, and keep things open. I'll jump off my soapbox now.

Reactions: AZBubs

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument No fire restrictions as of today. No permit needed for camping......Am heading up that way the 22nd.....

Jim

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument No fire restrictions as of today. No permit needed for camping......Am heading up that way the 22nd.....

Jim
Provide a trip report when you get back. It’s on my list of places to explore. Probably this fall although we may go out to Crazy Jug point in early July. We have permits for the North Rim end of June for a few days.

Wherever you go, there you are. Sent from my phone.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hi all, we are new here to the forum, four years in AZ. We live in NE Mesa near Usery park. Have a 2015 JKUR that is still stock. We are building a off road teardrop camper, we are getting a little old to be camping on the ground. LOL Meg nixed the idea of a RTT once she saw the ladder. It's coming along but have a few more months before its done.

IMG_0020.jpg

We have done a few trips camping out of the Jeep and before the Jeep we camped off my KTM 990. We have been doing our adventures by ourselves, but we would like to find a few other couples with trailers for some weekend or longer trips. It just makes sense to have some people with for safety, and friendship.

I hope I can add to the forum here.

Todd

jeepdaze

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Dunning
Member #

Hi all, we are new here to the forum, four years in AZ. We live in NE Mesa near Usery park. Have a 2015 JKUR that is still stock. We are building a off road teardrop camper, we are getting a little old to be camping on the ground. LOL Meg nixed the idea of a RTT once she saw the ladder. It's coming along but have a few more months before its done.

View attachment 58259

We have done a few trips camping out of the Jeep and before the Jeep we camped off my KTM 990. We have been doing our adventures by ourselves, but we would like to find a few other couples with trailers for some weekend or longer trips. It just makes sense to have some people with for safety, and friendship.

I hope I can add to the forum here.

Todd
Looks awesome!! That will be really nice when it's done. You won't have to find a smooth spot on the ground anymore, which I have found to be pretty difficult when tent camping.

I live right down the road from you at Power and Thomas in Red Mountain Ranch.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: T-88 and Todd & Meg