Arizona Overlanders

• HTML tutorial

Livin the life

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Arizona
Member #

I will take a look when I get a chance. I would suggest saving your files a GPX because they are easier to import into apps. Gpsvisualizer.com is a good site to make that happen.

Also feel free to ask here for tracks. Eric and I, along with others, have mapped a lot of AZ.

Hey I am looking for some routes that are not too extreme as I do not have a lift yet, or frame slider, just tires so far, slowly building. I have a 2000 4runner, no lockers either. any suggestions for routes towards Utah leaving the Expo?

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
We still have not decided on whether to just run up Saturday evening and camp for the night or just leave early Sunday morning to hit the Expo. This year we just got the Sunday pass. Heck, we might even stay at a rest stop on Saturday and sleep inside the 4Runner.

Reactions: Dziedzic

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
I finally got the 4Runner hooked up with goodies! Leaving for Oregon on Saturday. 9 day trip and I’m pumped.
Nice choice in roof rack! So much more usable than the gobi. We are doing an AZ to Seattle in 2 years, can’t wait for updates on the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Overland-Equipt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Surprise, AZ
Member #

Probably going to head up from Surprise on Friday afternoon, thinking about camping off Forest Road 237 and doing Expo West on Saturday and heading back down on Sunday if anyone else is looking at the same itinerary, let me know. Wouldn't mind finding some other folks to disperse camp with. It will probably just be and my rugrats.

Reactions: AZBubs

Henk

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

SAUDI ARABIA
First Name
Henk
Last Name
Van der Merwe
Member #

Probably going to head up from Surprise on Friday afternoon, thinking about camping off Forest Road 237 and doing Expo West on Saturday and heading back down on Sunday if anyone else is looking at the same itinerary, let me know. Wouldn't mind finding some other folks to disperse camp with. It will probably just be and my rugrats.
G,day Ovevrland-Equipt,
I arrive in Phoenix on the 13th, to pick up a vehicle and start a 3 month overland trip. The plan is to do Overland West, and like you - to disperse camp on the way there and back. Solo traveler (for the first month at least) and just had my box of camping stuff shipped to Mesa - should arrive on the 14th if the stars align. Would love to tag along if its ok.

JackP

Rank II

Advocate II

Hey fellow Arizona Overlands, from flagstaff here. Looking forward to exploring the area up here anyone know of any good trails to hit? Just moved here a month ago, hope to see you all at Overland Expo in a few weeks!
Hey there, I'm also up in flag and am fairly new to the area. There are a bunch of good trails in Sedona, and I have found a couple in the Prescott area that I like. There are some south of town off of woody mountain road if you go south and west far enough. But feel free to hit me up if you want, and I'm planning on being at expo oon Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Livin the life

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Arizona
Member #

Hey there, I'm also up in flag and am fairly new to the area. There are a bunch of good trails in Sedona, and I have found a couple in the Prescott area that I like. There are some south of town off of woody mountain road if you go south and west far enough. But feel free to hit me up if you want, and I'm planning on being at expo oon Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app
After overland I will be up for some exploring. I will be on a 2 week vacation to do some overlanding, my 4runner is pretty stick, just have 31 inch tires done so far.

Reactions: Henk

Henk

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

SAUDI ARABIA
First Name
Henk
Last Name
Van der Merwe
Member #

JackP that sounds like a plan. After OEW I'm making my way towards Wyoming and Yellowstone, following the Continental Devide north.

Sent from my SM-G955F using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: AZBubs

samsara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glendale, Az
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Winham
Member #

Hello I am new on here. I currently overland with a Chevy 2500 but got a 2000 4runner and am hoping to get it all set up by the time Expo starts next month. I live in Tempe and am an avid camper. Me and my 2 dogs go camping almost every weekend.
I too overland in my chevy 2500, and do some wheeling in my '87 Samurai.

samsara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glendale, Az
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Winham
Member #

I thought FR237 was closed to overnight camping, maybe I'm wrong. I'll be heading up Friday morning and going down FR535 (on the other side of 89A from FR237). Plan on hitting the expo on Saturday.

Henk

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

SAUDI ARABIA
First Name
Henk
Last Name
Van der Merwe
Member #

Picked up the GX470 yesterday!! Do im definitely in for some dispersed camping around OEW. Will kit up today. Will camp south of Phoenix on Thursday night and join the Arizona convoy to Flagstaff.

Sent from my SM-G955F using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: brien and Graeman

Livin the life

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Arizona
Member #

So what time and where will we be meeting Thursday? Those coming from Tucson? I am going to my Mums school so the elementary students can see my rig as they will be following my overland adventure, so I am curious what time everyone is leaving and the different meet ups. I am in Tempe and the school is in Phoenix, so I can meet up in Anthem as I saw someone mention that location as well .

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
So what time and where will we be meeting Thursday? Those coming from Tucson? I am going to my Mums school so the elementary students can see my rig as they will be following my overland adventure, so I am curious what time everyone is leaving and the different meet ups. I am in Tempe and the school is in Phoenix, so I can meet up in Anthem as I saw someone mention that location as well .
The convoy is meeting up on the northwest side of Tucson (Circle K @ 13961 N Sandario Rd, Marana, AZ 85653) at 5:30am Thursday, we expect to be arriving in Anthem (Circle K @ 4135 W Anthem Way, Anthem, AZ 85086) and collecting the Phoenix area folks at around 8:30 with a desire to leave before 9am. Here's the Rally Point link: https://www.overlandbound.com/event/arizona-convoy-overland-expo-west/ and the discussion thread is here: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/overland-expo-2018-west-caravan-arizona-convoy-overland-expo-west-05-17-2018.13482/

Livin the life

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Arizona
Member #

Ah dang. I won't even get off work until 8am. Any chance you have a camp spot picked out or a way to send the coordinates and I meet up?

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I think many (most? all?) of us in the convoy are camping in the main on-site dispersed camping area at Fort Tuthill. If you have a camping pass, just pull in and look for groups camping with OB flags and such. Others who are not camping on-site can hopefully connect with you to share some camp coordinates for outside the event grounds.