Arizona Overlanders

• HTML tutorial

PanthurBRZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Gilbert, Arizona
Member #

With six inches under drive train you should be good. I hunt that area all the time and I have seen just little ol sedans booking it down the trail. Just do not turn right at the Crown King Rock.
If it's anywhere near Crown King itself, it's somewhere I shouldn't be in the first place haha

I attached a vague idea of what I was thinking

Attachments

Gladstone

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Charlottesville, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WJ1MD
Hi Guys-

New to the forum. I'm a medical resident, will be interviewing for pulmonary/critical care fellowship at University of Arizona on Friday, Sept 9. I have 4 days to get there from Santa Fe, hoping to do some overlanding/camping on my own during the week. I'm in a 4WD Excursion (hauls the family to the backcountry, though they won't be joining me this time), and not willing to tackle anything overly challenging as I will be on my own.

I've done some Googling but can't seem to find a good route in eastern Arizona/western New Mexico for overland/backcountry camping. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Watson

PanthurBRZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Gilbert, Arizona
Member #

I can plan if you still want. If you have it under control it is a great learning exercise.
I'm not opposed to some assistance! I'm looking into extending the route right now. I've got other groups interested, as well, but I've got that handled. Mostly, it's that I want to avoid areas that aren't beginner/intermediate friendly in regards to terrain navigation. Lockers, winch, etc shouldn't be necessary but are always good to have. I can PM more info if you'd like but I don't want to impose! I -will- be taking a drive out there myself, with a well-equipped friend, to survey and map a good route, as well.

Ron Clark

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I'm not opposed to some assistance! I'm looking into extending the route right now. I've got other groups interested, as well, but I've got that handled. Mostly, it's that I want to avoid areas that aren't beginner/intermediate friendly in regards to terrain navigation. Lockers, winch, etc shouldn't be necessary but are always good to have. I can PM more info if you'd like but I don't want to impose! I -will- be taking a drive out there myself, with a well-equipped friend, to survey and map a good route, as well.
Go ahead and plan what you would like, then we can run it in my truck to make sure it is friendly.

Reactions: Rexx and PanthurBRZ

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Hi Guys-

New to the forum. I'm a medical resident, will be interviewing for pulmonary/critical care fellowship at University of Arizona on Friday, Sept 9. I have 4 days to get there from Santa Fe, hoping to do some overlanding/camping on my own during the week. I'm in a 4WD Excursion (hauls the family to the backcountry, though they won't be joining me this time), and not willing to tackle anything overly challenging as I will be on my own.

I've done some Googling but can't seem to find a good route in eastern Arizona/western New Mexico for overland/backcountry camping. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Watson
Look up the New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

PanthurBRZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Gilbert, Arizona
Member #

Awesome. Any events coming up?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
There's a monthly meet that someone is trying to plan, but last I checked there was no set date yet? And I'm planning a beginner's trail crawl of sorts, on October 1st! If you have anything with ground clearance, you'll be able to do this (so you don't have to have an overland rig)

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Awesome. Any events coming up?
I feel like I keep throwing links at you, but here's another one to join. There is a Meetup group called AZ Overlanders (https://www.meetup.com/AZ-Overlanders/) which is separate from Overland Bound, but many of the members are also Overland Bound members. We try to have a meetup once a month, but the main organizer (@1Louder) is in the midst of building and moving into a new house, so there likely won't be any events until October or so. I'm also out on the trails (Zion trip, OB OTG 17, and possibly the OB Southwest Meetup) for the next 6-8 weeks. When I get done with all that madness I'll be putting together a Southern Arizona meetup and/or trip as well

Reactions: DesertWalker

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Oh yeah, and as @PanthurBRZ mentioned, there's a monthly meetup being planned by @ZJ GRIZZLY but I can't find the thread at the moment