Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Dunning
Member #

View attachment 31537 Hey guys just joined OB, I'm looking for some easy trails to take my outback on near phoenix. Im from the Arcadia area.
I highly recommend taking Four Peaks Road from west to east and then making the loop back on Apache Trail. It'll take a good 4-5 hours and don't do Four Peaks if the weather is bad. There will be water crossings that could be significant if there is rain.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

SEAcruiser6186

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
DeWees
Member #

View attachment 31537 Hey guys just joined OB, I'm looking for some easy trails to take my outback on near phoenix. Im from the Arcadia area.
Welcome! I also recently joined and am in the Arcadia neighborhood. We're definitely on the hunt for some good trails around the Phoenix area. Jeepdaze mentioned a good one and castle hot spring road up behind lake pleasant is also a nice dirt road to explore with the same caution about the weather.

PanthurBRZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Gilbert, Arizona
Member #

Been a member for a little while now, but things recently settled down after I got my lift and new tires, so I've been waiting to post! From the Gilbert area. Haven't done anything crazy but I'm looking to explore!

I highly recommend taking Four Peaks Road from west to east and then making the loop back on Apache Trail. It'll take a good 4-5 hours and don't do Four Peaks if the weather is bad. There will be water crossings that could be significant if there is rain.

Assuming no bad weather and resulting bad trails, what do you think of this route for 2wd?

PanthurBRZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Gilbert, Arizona
Member #

Welcome! I also recently joined and am in the Arcadia neighborhood. We're definitely on the hunt for some good trails around the Phoenix area. Jeepdaze mentioned a good one and castle hot spring road up behind lake pleasant is also a nice dirt road to explore with the same caution about the weather.
Do you think that would be doable with 2WD? Up Castle Hot Springs, over Chanpie, down Cow Creek for a relatively short loop?

jeepdaze

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Dunning
Member #

Been a member for a little while now, but things recently settled down after I got my lift and new tires, so I've been waiting to post! From the Gilbert area. Haven't done anything crazy but I'm looking to explore!

Assuming no bad weather and resulting bad trails, what do you think of this route for 2wd?
I would say it could be done in 2wd no problem. You just need a little clearance and some time. The Apache Trail portion is doable in just about any car, most of the time.

Reactions: PanthurBRZ

AZ_BenderT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

Hi there, New to OB recently received my badge. I live inGilbert and love camping and wheeling with my family. We just got home from a 2month road trip that took us from AZ to Banff, Canada then west to Vancouver, BC and down the pacific coast. It was an awesome adventure, we camped in about 12 national parks. We mostly stayed in Rv parks and although most were great with really interesting people I've come to the conclusion that the enjoyment of Rv camping depends on who you have as a neighbor. That being said I took my wife to check out some Turtleback trailers and she seemed to really like them.
Just curious, what set-up do you guys use for camping/ overlanding? (Tent,campers,trailers,etc)

Attachments

PanthurBRZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Gilbert, Arizona
Member #

I would say it could be done in 2wd no problem. You just need a little clearance and some time. The Apache Trail portion is doable in just about any car, most of the time.

Except for tonight! Also what I say below applies to your response, as well.

If you stay on the main Castle Hot Springs I don't see much of a problem. You will still need clearance though. That area only starts getting rough when you turn from Cow Creek heading towards Crown King.
How much clearance would you guess? From what I can find (because I've never measured) my car had 4.9" stock, my tires give 1" over stock and my spacers lift 2". So at the worst (drivetrain) I've got ~6", and anything else should be ~8"? This'll be my first true test for clearance!

Ron Clark

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

With six inches under drive train you should be good. I hunt that area all the time and I have seen just little ol sedans booking it down the trail. Just do not turn right at the Crown King Rock.

Reactions: PanthurBRZ