First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
OVERLANDING ON KETO?

Are any of you following a ketogenic diet? I’ve been on a keto diet for almost a year and have dialed in traveling while following this lifestyle.

If any you out there are following a keto diet, what are you packing when you travel?

My go-to’s have been:

THE LIST

Drygoods:

• Beef jerky
  • Summer Sausage
  • Nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts)
  • Coconut Oil
  • Olive Oil
  • Dried Cheese Crackers
  • Homemade Fatbombs
  • Avocado
  • Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
  • 90%+ Coco Chocolate
  • Pork Rinds
  • Coffee (Black Rifle Coffee Company …of course

Coldstore:

• Fatty Meats (beef, pork, chicken thighs)
  • Eggs
  • Bacon :)
  • Breakfast Sausage
  • Brawts
  • Cheese (sticks, blocks, all kinds)
  • Butter
  • Spinach
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Green Beans
  • Broccoli
  • Zucchini
  • Squash
  • Cucumbers
  • Carrots
  • Shredded Cauliflower
  • Various other veggies

Last year I road tripped from New Mexico to Michigan and prepped meals for my wife, daughter, and me. We had a cooler and saved so much time by not stopping. Not to mention, we probably ate healthier too.

- Tyler

Last edited:

SAC-CA-Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dublin, CA
Member #

I'm not and have nothing to offer, but just wanted to say I love the color of your 4R. Reminds me of Audi Nogaro Blue which was an exclusive S4 color back in the day.

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I'm not and have nothing to offer, but just wanted to say I love the color of your 4R. Reminds me of Audi Nogaro Blue which was an exclusive S4 color back in the day.
SAC-CA-Runner,

Thanks, I'm happy I found one in Calvary Blue.

========================================

great info. my wife is doing this diet and now i have a check list of what i can pack and not be beat to death
James,

I added avocado to the dry list.

- Tyler

Fueltilities

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Colorado
Member #

I'm new to the whole overlanding thing, but I've been running a mostly (cyclical) keto diet for a while now. Thanks for the tips on what to pack. It's a shame more people don't use this diet. I was a non-believer until I did a 30 day "challenge" and started doing research. I firmly believe it is the most optimal diet out there.. And what a better diet to couple it with extended road trips to remote locations!

Edit:
Pork rinds are a fantastic snack to add as well. High in fat, practically no carbs. You just have to make sure they weren't fried with an unhealthy oil.
Hemp seeds are a great source of protein and are loaded with health benefits.
Pickles are also great. Hardly any carbs, high in sodium, and great for your gut.

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Good info, I'd been on/off for a long time. But over the past year was eating SAD. Put on way to much weight. So just recently went Keto over December and then full zero carb since Jan 1. Nothing but meat.

Wife is currently Keto.

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I'm new to the whole overlanding thing, but I've been running a mostly (cyclical) keto diet for a while now.

Edit:
Pork rinds are a fantastic snack to add as well. High in fat, practically no carbs. You just have to make sure they weren't fried with an unhealthy oil.
Hemp seeds are a great source of protein and are loaded with health benefits.
Pickles are also great. Hardly any carbs, high in sodium, and great for your gut.
Fuel,

Welcome to OB, I'm new to the concept myself and thanks for the additional travel foods. I don't know how I left out pork rinds and pickles. My wife loves them! As for hemps seeds, I've read they are super nutrious, but at this point in my life my employer restricts me from using any hemp products, so I'll have to wait to try them out.

Good info, I'd been on/off for a long time. But over the past year was eating SAD. Put on way to much weight. So just recently went Keto over December and then full zero carb since Jan 1. Nothing but meat.

Wife is currently Keto.
Bold,

Welcome back to the dark side.

Thanks for the input guys!

- Tyler

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
About 85% Keto here, have yet to camp though. Winter here. Thanks for the list :smirk:
I'm happy you found the list useful. If you have any other foods that work for you, drop them in here, I'm always looking for new Keto road food.

Cheers,

Tyler

Reactions: Caligirlnic

Willmh3

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tennessee Colony, Texas
Member #

I have been on the Keto diet since October. While I initially started the diet to lose some weight I have found that the other health benefits have far exceeded the weight loss aspect, while I am sure that the two go hand in hand in many ways. The best part of this is that the symptoms of my plantar fasciitits has all but vanished. I know everyone does Keto differently but I have found that avoiding beans and legumes (really just veggies in general) has had the biggest impact on my gut health. While I track everything I eat with a nutrition tracker I find listening to my body is the quickest way to find out what does and does not agree with me.

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
I have been on the Keto diet since October. While I initially started the diet to lose some weight I have found that the other health benefits have far exceeded the weight loss aspect, while I am sure that the two go hand in hand in many ways. The best part of this is that the symptoms of my plantar fasciitits has all but vanished. I know everyone does Keto differently but I have found that avoiding beans and legumes (really just veggies in general) has had the biggest impact on my gut health. While I track everything I eat with a nutrition tracker I find listening to my body is the quickest way to find out what does and does not agree with me.
Interesting about the Plantar F. I also have it but really only on hikes longer than 3 miles. I havent had a chance to get out yet but it will be interesting to see if it helped mine as well.

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
That's awesome to hear that it has helped with your plantar fasciitits! I keep running in to people that have stories about how a ketogenic deit has helped with health issues. I shared this with a family member and it has helped them to get off blood pressure meds that they had been on for years and another family member who is no longer insiln dependent as a Type II diabetic.

I hope you found the list useful, when I first started traveling was frustrating I felt very limited.

Ive made chips made out of mozzarella cheese that were amazing
I've tried that as well using cheedar, they were awesome. Then I found moon balls, check them out here: < https://www.target.com/p/moon-cheese-174-cheddar-natural-crunchy-cheese-snack-2oz/-/A-52163922?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Grocery+Essentials+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Grocery&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9030650&gclid=CjwKCAiAnabTBRA6EiwAemvBdyol1yudQa1hYUgdUKIifYjF3oH6tFWg5JPtERthsElyVTwZaAlrTRoCQxgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds >

They have a few flavors and are great as a snack or on salads.

- Tyler

Reactions: Matt Hixson

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Fuel,

Welcome to OB, I'm new to the concept myself and thanks for the additional travel foods. I don't know how I left out pork rinds and pickles. My wife loves them! As for hemps seeds, I've read they are super nutrious, but at this point in my life my employer restricts me from using any hemp products, so I'll have to wait to try them out.

Bold,

Welcome back to the dark side.

Thanks for the input guys!

- Tyler
Try Chia seeds instead. They are very hi in protein

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
@Caligirlnic,

I'll have to try the chia seeds. Do you soak them in water first? I read different things about them. I think some people even use them as an oatmeal replacement.

- Tyler

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
So how do you guys fix your coffee while on the trail?

Right now I'm just mixing in coconut oil or butter, but this leaves the oil/butter floating. At home I'll blend it and I'm looking to do the same on the road. Do any of you have suggestioms for a travel blender? Possibly MCT will stir in better?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tyler

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
Is there Keto for Dummies guide out there somewhere? I started looking at this diet last year but damn if it isn’t complicated.

Reactions: ArcticTex

Fueltilities

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Colorado
Member #

Is there Keto for Dummies guide out there somewhere? I started looking at this diet last year but damn if it isn’t complicated.
Glad I caught your question, as I was very much in the same boat when I started. If you have a FB, join the group Keto Gains. There are a lot of new and veteran members that have a wealth of knowledge. It's a great place to ask questions and gather information.

For apps, look for Senza. This a great app that will help you keep track of your macros starting off. It also allows you to log your daily meals and keep track of whether or not you've hit your calorie/macro goals.

For recipes and books, I honestly recommend looking into The Keto Diet book by Leanne Vogel. She's knowledgeable, explains things cut and dry, and has a lot of great recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, etc. Another book is the Ketogenic Bible. This book also offers a wealth of information and different recipes.