Launch Member

Advocate III

Waterford Township, MI, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

Picture is from Glacial Hills near Bellaire on Sunday. Was up in that area for the weekend and took advantage of the awesome weather to do some mountain bike trail riding.

Setup camp near the Boardman River between Kalkaska and TC.

Gorgeous Photos! New to the group here and looking forward to doing more exploring in Michigan!
Where in Detroit are you? Waterford, here.

Where have you explored and where do you plan to go next?

Last edited:

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

Right down the road from you if you ever need anything or want to get out.
Appreciate it, definitely looking to get out more this year. Only went a few times last year due to work being crazy.
I hear ya on the work part. Wife and I get up to Petoskey and TC area now and then throughout the year and try to get to the UP at least once each year. Went twice last year. Do you have any locations of interest that you don't mind sharing anywhere? I know of a couple great dispersed camping spots near islands kalkaska and good heart

Last edited:

F150RCSB

Rank II
Launch Member

Steward I

White Lake, MI 48386, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Jjm
Member #

I hear ya on the work part. Wife and I get up to Petoskey and TC area now and then throughout the year and try to get to the UP at least once each year. Went twice last year.
Petoskey is nice, my Dad & a couple brothers live up there. I was just there a few weeks ago because of a job we have going on @ the hospital. I couldn't believe the traffic on 31, it was like being on 59 down here.

Reactions: BlackDog1

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

I hear ya on the work part. Wife and I get up to Petoskey and TC area now and then throughout the year and try to get to the UP at least once each year. Went twice last year.
Petoskey is nice, my Dad & a couple brothers live up there. I was just there a few weeks ago because of a job we have going on @ the hospital. I couldn't believe the traffic on 31, it was like being on 59 down here.
Yeah, 31 is silly season when the weather is nice or people are up for skiing, etc

GrundleJuice

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Arsenault
Member #

@F150RCSB or most anyone looking for a weekend somewhere. The Mrs. and I are going to get up to Drummond Island June 2-5 before school is out and that place gets swarmed if anyone wants to join up for some or all of the time. Ill be in a double cab long bed Tacoma so probably not going to be pushing the technical stuff much, but I have a decent spread of recovery gear if others want to try out some stuff. I should have a new GMRS radio by then, but I have handhelds as a backup.

If interested in joining, tag me on your reply. Sometimes I don't get notifications for replies on here.

AirbossWiley

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Holly, MI, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Wiley
Member #

@F150RCSB or most anyone looking for a weekend somewhere. The Mrs. and I are going to get up to Drummond Island June 2-5 before school is out and that place gets swarmed if anyone wants to join up for some or all of the time. Ill be in a double cab long bed Tacoma so probably not going to be pushing the technical stuff much, but I have a decent spread of recovery gear if others want to try out some stuff. I should have a new GMRS radio by then, but I have handhelds as a backup.

If interested in joining, tag me on your reply. Sometimes I don't get notifications for replies on here.
I'm right down the road from you guys (Holly/Ortonville Border). Sounds like a fun trip, I'll see what I can do!

Reactions: GrundleJuice

Sledder10

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Oxford, MS, USA
First Name
Nic
Last Name
Simon
Hi, I usually live in north MS, but I'm living in Ann Arbor this summer for work. Myself and my buddy are looking to find some good off-roading and scenic camping on the weekends. This is both of our first times ever in Michigan, but I hear it's a pretty good place for this. Do y'all have a facebook group where you organize trips and whatnot? Also feel free to message me on here or on Instagram @ nicsimon845. I think our first trip here will be Bundy Hill next weekend. Hoping to make it to northern MI and maybe the UP before the summer is over.
IMG_5117.JPG

SCT21

Rank II

Member I

Zeeland, MI
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
McKenney
Member #

Hi, I usually live in north MS, but I'm living in Ann Arbor this summer for work. Myself and my buddy are looking to find some good off-roading and scenic camping on the weekends. This is both of our first times ever in Michigan, but I hear it's a pretty good place for this. Do y'all have a facebook group where you organize trips and whatnot? Also feel free to message me on here or on Instagram @ nicsimon845. I think our first trip here will be Bundy Hill next weekend. Hoping to make it to northern MI and maybe the UP before the summer is over.
View attachment 232302
Hey, welcome to the Mitten State for the summer. Check out the FB Group Michigan Overland. I don't think many of us are very active here from Michigan. Jump into that group. I'm Subaru focused, but happy to help with places, especially in the UP I do a lot up there. Best bet is DM on IG, Orbis.Overlanding, you could also reach out to New Holland Overland IG NewHollandOverland.

Reactions: Sledder10

Zeak

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Garden City
Member #

View attachment 232302
Head into the Manistee national forest. Lots of places to camp and explore.

Redbeard Sasquatch

Rank III

Explorer I

Lansing, MI, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Heusinkveld
Member #

View attachment 232302
Welcome to Michigan, here's a video of experience first time at Bundy Hill Offroad and I have a wonderful time.

Reactions: Sledder10

Sledder10

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Oxford, MS, USA
First Name
Nic
Last Name
Simon
Hey, welcome to the Mitten State for the summer. Check out the FB Group Michigan Overland. I don't think many of us are very active here from Michigan. Jump into that group. I'm Subaru focused, but happy to help with places, especially in the UP I do a lot up there. Best bet is DM on IG, Orbis.Overlanding, you could also reach out to New Holland Overland IG NewHollandOverland.
Thank you! I just made an intro post in that facebook group. And new holland overland looks to have some awesome products. May have to make a stop or two there and get some stuff made.

JoshDante

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Waterford Twp, MI, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Dante
Member #

Service Branch
USAF vet
Hi all,
Been looking at the National Forest maps and was wondering if there is anything in the lower half (of the lower peninsula) in Michigan as far as dispersed camping goes? Maybe State Land? I can't seem to find much and not asking for specific or secret camping spots, just general ideas - thanks!

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Hi all,
Been looking at the National Forest maps and was wondering if there is anything in the lower half (of the lower peninsula) in Michigan as far as dispersed camping goes? Maybe State Land? I can't seem to find much and not asking for specific or secret camping spots, just general ideas - thanks!
Dispersed camping in state forests is allowed as long as you are at least a mile from a state campground and aren't in a hunting area, park, or a few other restrictions.

This link has the state forest campground locations.

National forests also allow dispersed camping with some restrictions. Details in the link below.

-Ryan