Launch Member

Advocate III

Lowell, Michigan
First Name
Gus
Last Name
M
Member #

I don't have anything planned group wise yet. We do have a member sponsored event Memorial weekend at Rocks & Valleys. In September well also be up in the UP for the Keeweenaw Overland Adventure Retreat. The plan there is to do some camping and site seeing on the way to it. No details on that aspect yet.

Sent from my VS995 using OB Talk mobile app
I happen to be going to R&V this weekend, 19th.

I'll check on the Memorial weekend event. I didn't see it on their website calendar of events.

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I happen to be going to R&V this weekend, 19th.

I'll check on the Memorial weekend event. I didn't see it on their website calendar of events.
It's posted to the Facebook group right now. Haven't integrated events back into the website yet. Memorial weekend, one day at Rocks and Valleys (Saturday), and then possibly one day at the Roscommon State Forest Area. (Sunday).

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fleamac

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

Posted to the @michiganoverland FaceBook group as well, but looking doing another get together in the next few weeks for Western Lower Michigan; last time we met up in GR, but I think most of us could handle making a short trip of it.

Ideally, I see a trail day, followed by dinner and/or camping depending on how everyone's schedule looks. Dunes at Silver Lake are always a good time (other than holiday weekends), and there are trails around these parts; looking for suggestions from the peanut gallery at this point.

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Posted to the @michiganoverland FaceBook group as well, but looking doing another get together in the next few weeks for Western Lower Michigan; last time we met up in GR, but I think most of us could handle making a short trip of it.

Ideally, I see a trail day, followed by dinner and/or camping depending on how everyone's schedule looks. Dunes at Silver Lake are always a good time (other than holiday weekends), and there are trails around these parts; looking for suggestions from the peanut gallery at this point.
That would be great! I could probably do with dropping the wrenches for a few minutes to get out in the woods. Rover's not ready but I've got 2 wheels & a Subaru, or even if I hitch a ride with a friend.

Reactions: GatorDoc

GcOverland

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Michigan
Member #

So I am completely and utterly new to overlanding and will be moving to GR to start college. I was researching overlanding in Michigan and found this. I decided that I would say hi and try to follow what is going on in the mitten state
My brother lives in GR so maybe when I come visit him we can see each others rigs

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

So I am completely and utterly new to overlanding and will be moving to GR to start college. I was researching overlanding in Michigan and found this. I decided that I would say hi and try to follow what is going on in the mitten state
Welcome, welcome. We've got a pretty good Facebook group established, lots of discussion there, a website with some info, and this post that we hijacked! [emoji2] Overlanding is still pretty new to Michigan but there are plenty of places to go. If you ha e any questions shoot a message our way or join up on the Facebook group. Most of the meetups or trips we try to do get posted to there. The OB forums tend to get neglected, something I've been trying to remedy for awhile but haven't been successful at.

Reactions: The Willbilly

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Welcome to the forums & soon to the state!

If you're destined for Grand Rapids then you'll only have an hours drive north to get right into the thick of a big forest area (Manistee National Forest in dark green below).

Just a few more hours north & you'll have even more options to wander the woods away from the cities (Huron, Hiawatha, Ottawa, etc seen below). Lower peninsula down here can be relatively flat, but once you get over the bridge into the upper peninsula the terrain starts gaining some elevation change, thicker woods, & much more remote areas to explore.

As far as specific trails, these 2 peninsula maps are a good place to start to get an overview. They highlight all the "ORV Routes" for trucks, in solid red lines on the maps:
https://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/forestslandwater/ORV/Maps-Trail/orv_lp_for_web.pdf
https://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/forestslandwater/ORV/Maps-Trail/orv_up_for_web.pdf

Here is the list of the individual trails from above with their PDF's & GPS files:
https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79148_80314-38330--,00.html

And here's a map that highlights all the state & national forests: (if you're setting up overland-style wild/improvised camps)
http://midnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=1c46dfdb716042f7ad99866aa5d099bf

Also this is a good one for Upper Peninsula highlights:
http://www.uptravel.com/interactive-map-of-the-u.p.-200/

Reactions: Dom and Fleamac

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Pre order links for shirts and patches are live on the store site (store.michiganoverland.com), link for hats are coming this weekend.If that doesn’t work for you, message me with what you’d like and I will send a PayPal invoice to you. Shipping is free as always. Once we hit the minimum the order will be placed (24 shirts, 16 hats, and no min on patches but I’d like to hit a decent number). Shirts will be dark grey/charcoal with the round color logo screen printed on. I should have a sample in the next couple of weeks. Patches will be the round color logo also with Velcro backing. Hats will be grey fitted with the color banner on the front. If anyone has any suggestions or possibly wants a different design, leave a comment. Minimum orders would have to be met for them so if there is enough interest I’m willing to go through with it.

Shirts $25
Patch $10
Fitted hat $25

Reactions: Tinker

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Checking in from the Grand Rapids area. I just finished my overlanding trailer and I am ready for some exploration.
Welcome to the forums :)

Looks like a pretty cool setup! I love how creative people are getting with trailers now, especially the DIY variety.

JSWEEZ

Rank 0

Traveler I

T
Welcome to the forums :)

Looks like a pretty cool setup! I love how creative people are getting with trailers now, especially the DIY variety.
Thanks man! This was my first real attempt at fabrication of any kind. ( I think I’m hooked. ) I got a lot of my ideas from other forums of people doing similar DIY builds. The M416 is such a popular platform to start with, there are lots of talented people sharing their creations.

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

T

Thanks man! This was my first real attempt at fabrication of any kind. ( I think I’m hooked. ) I got a lot of my ideas from other forums of people doing similar DIY builds. The M416 is such a popular platform to start with, there are lots of talented people sharing their creations.
Looking forward to seeing some pics of it, or better yet... seeing it on the trail! And I'm totally with ya, been addicted ever since I first tried my hand at metal fabrication. It sure can become one hell of a rabbit hole haha!

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

Is there going to be a rallypoint event for the 4 days leading up to KOAR?
That's a good question.

I am tentatively planning on taking that whole week off, plus the following Monday, but I don't have specific plans at this point, aside from the event.

Seems like an ideal opportunity to get together, though.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using OB Talk mobile app