Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

The driveshaft loops are pretty common in racecars, mandated by many sanctioning bodies. This Example is for a car, but you can see the concept. This stops the driveshaft from destroying everything around it in the event that it breaks, limiting damage and injury from the thrashing shaft.

Reactions: billiardspintail

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
The truck finally passed smog! It took an entirely new exhaust system, and a bunch of hose work in the engine bay to get it there, but it did. The carburetor was rebuilt, the distributor was re-clocked and the vacuum advance was installed correctly from before. They are now working on the last issue, when on city streets being tested last week, the engine bogged and died. It was running perfectly, "like a champ" says the mechanic, except for that issue. I'm hoping to have it back this week. They mentioned replacing the fuel filter, and replacing/wrapping a wire they found.

The side and rear windows have a terribly applied tint to them that I want to get removed, what's a good method? The rear window already had it removed but it has a ton of the adhesive still on it, I was thinking about using Goo Gone to rid the window of it.

Reactions: Old Griz

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The truck finally passed smog! It took an entirely new exhaust system, and a bunch of hose work in the engine bay to get it there, but it did. The carburetor was rebuilt, the distributor was re-clocked and the vacuum advance was installed correctly from before. They are now working on the last issue, when on city streets being tested last week, the engine bogged and died. It was running perfectly, "like a champ" says the mechanic, except for that issue. I'm hoping to have it back this week. They mentioned replacing the fuel filter, and replacing/wrapping a wire they found.

The side and rear windows have a terribly applied tint to them that I want to get removed, what's a good method? The rear window already had it removed but it has a ton of the adhesive still on it, I was thinking about using Goo Gone to rid the window of it.
brother-in-law has a tint shop and he uses a hair dryer and razor knife to remove old tint and denatured alcohol to remove residue...goo gone is a petroleum product and leaves a slight oil behind

i have no actual experience with it since i tinted my ford pinto in high school with tint from k-mart and it looked like ass with bubbles and wrinkles and then later turned purple after being in the sun...thats one of those things i'll gladly pay to have done

Last edited:

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
I picked up the truck today, and with the nearly 1 mile drive to work from the shop, it ran wonderfully. Now I get to start planning the upgrades, slight lifts, and interior restoration stuff for it
:smiley:

Reactions: TexasGMG

renodemona

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TCT

Hair Dryer/De Natured Alcohol works really well just have to go slow and be patient with the razor blade. I did a first pass with a paint scraper to get most of the film off then went to a razor blade to get what was left. I think the worst to remove are the wal mart specials where it looks purple :(

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
Hair Dryer/De Natured Alcohol works really well just have to go slow and be patient with the razor blade. I did a first pass with a paint scraper to get most of the film off then went to a razor blade to get what was left. I think the worst to remove are the wal mart specials where it looks purple :(
And that is exactly the type of film installed.

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
Just a quick update, it's been running fine for the last month driving it. The starter sometimes doesn't even try to turn when it's too cold, it clicks once, but since the super cold days, it's started every time.

Reactions: Old Griz

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Your cold start syptoms sound like a battery that either doesnt have enough cold cranking amps, or it has a dead cell. Either way, best bet is to get a batterey with the minimum CCA rating or higher for your rig. I usually put the largest battery I can fit in the stock battery tray.

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
The battery is only a year old, is rated for the CCA needed, and always tests good, though I originally thought it was the battery. After a few times turning the key, the starter fires and the engine starts right up.

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
Second thought would be battery cable corrosion, look for swollen insulation as well as corrosion on battery cable ends. Poor ground could also be a cause.
I'll take a look for that. There are definitely other symptoms of a bad ground. Sometimes the 12v socket will lose power for a second and come back while driving, and the dash cluster lights for Brake and 4x4 sometimes just don't come on.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

A few weeks ago, I had to sell my 1959 Jeep FC-170. She wasn't in driving condition and needed a lot more work to get to that point. So, she was sold. I took what I got from Betsy, and put it towards Walt (trialing that name for now), a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. It actually runs and is registered!

View attachment 118830

30 miles from where I bought it, and the V-Belt around the A/C Compressor and Alternator snapped on the freeway. After a tow from AAA, it's in the shop, and should be returning to me today. I've got my eye on a roof top tent, maybe a throttle body injection kit, and definitely need to replace the carpet and get a headliner in there. Almost everything works, some things are missing and the interior is rough, but workable. I'm really excited to finally have a truck that I can take out and explore with.
Nice old Waggy!!
If you need parts for it I have found a good source.
www.montanaoverland.com
They have everything from the smallest parts to entire vehicles.
Parting with the FC had to be traumatic

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
Nice old Waggy!!
If you need parts for it I have found a good source.
www.montanaoverland.com
They have everything from the smallest parts to entire vehicles.
Parting with the FC had to be traumatic
I've left a few voicemails with them about some parts that teamgrandwagoneer.com didn't have, and they never got back to me.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

Just a quick update, it's been running fine for the last month driving it. The starter sometimes doesn't even try to turn when it's too cold, it clicks once, but since the super cold days, it's started every time.
With a one click no start and works well at others I would look first at both ends of both battery cables. I think you have a corrosion issue on one of them. I would recommend replacing both of them, cheap insurance you can do in your own driveway. I build my own using heavy welding cable and heavy duty crimp on ends.