San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
A few weeks ago, I had to sell my 1959 Jeep FC-170. She wasn't in driving condition and needed a lot more work to get to that point. So, she was sold. I took what I got from Betsy, and put it towards Walt (trialing that name for now), a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. It actually runs and is registered!

photo_20190921_222800z_720.jpg

30 miles from where I bought it, and the V-Belt around the A/C Compressor and Alternator snapped on the freeway. After a tow from AAA, it's in the shop, and should be returning to me today. I've got my eye on a roof top tent, maybe a throttle body injection kit, and definitely need to replace the carpet and get a headliner in there. Almost everything works, some things are missing and the interior is rough, but workable. I'm really excited to finally have a truck that I can take out and explore with.

Last edited:

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I LOVE those old Wagoneers, I had a 77 and loved it. Bad gas mileage, still loved it. The style is cool and very retro. I see those things going for stupid money now in good shape, glad you found one.

BIG HUGE WARNING!! Check the front drive shaft CV where it connects to the Transfercase. These are a known issue. Because they are "all wheel drive" the front drive shaft is always spinning. They will get worn out and you don't notice. Then on the hwy they will break and the driveshaft starts flailing around and it hits the transmission. The big issue is that it will always break the transmission case. This transmission is a GM THM400 but with a AMC 360 bellhousing, beyond rare, these things were hard to get 25 years ago when I worked at a transmission shop, I doubt you could find one today.
So, please help yourself and have the front shaft rebuild before it takes out the trans, or at a minimum check and grease it regularly. It will save you a lot of heartache.

Other than the above warning, these old waggies are Awesome.

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
I LOVE those old Wagoneers, I had a 77 and loved it. Bad gas mileage, still loved it. The style is cool and very retro. I see those things going for stupid money now in good shape, glad you found one.

BIG HUGE WARNING!! Check the front drive shaft CV where it connects to the Transfercase. These are a known issue. Because they are "all wheel drive" the front drive shaft is always spinning. They will get worn out and you don't notice. Then on the hwy they will break and the driveshaft starts flailing around and it hits the transmission. The big issue is that it will always break the transmission case. This transmission is a GM THM400 but with a AMC 360 bellhousing, beyond rare, these things were hard to get 25 years ago when I worked at a transmission shop, I doubt you could find one today.
So, please help yourself and have the front shaft rebuild before it takes out the trans, or at a minimum check and grease it regularly. It will save you a lot of heartache.

Other than the above warning, these old waggies are Awesome.
This one is a Selec-Trak so it's in 4x2 unless I shift it into 4x4, it has a handy switch on the dash to choose, and a hi-lo lever at the bottom of the seat. I'll still have it all checked out, thanks!

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Yes, but the front shaft still spins, there are no locking hubs. The selector puts it in 4wd, but the front is always turning.

Reactions: billiardspintail

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
Yesterday I tried to get it smogged, and it failed, with high CO_2 and hydrocarbons. I suspect the catalytic converter is to blame because it also doesn't have an EO number on it, so it's mot California compliant. That's my next step.

Attachments

Reactions: Old Griz

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Did Cali change the laws? I thought if it was over 25 years old, there was no smog test required. Anyway, I would start with a full complete tune up. You will want it anyway and very often old plug wires and old plugs will cause smog fails. A new Cat will help, but on;y if everything else is good, it won't fix other issues.
I would do all new plugs, wires, cap rotor, check all vacuum hoses(replace all if you can), new air filter, and set timing to factory settings. Would not hurt to change the coil, they can get weak over time and may not cause a smog fail, but may contribute.
Do a compression test, make sure there are not weak cylinders. If all are strong, passing smog should not be an issue, if one is weak you need to figure out why before getting too deep. A head gasket or valve job is not too bad, bad rings means a full rebuild at this point.
So, do a compression test first, if it passes do a complete tune up and I bet that not only will it pass, but will run smoother and have more power. If the cat is still an issue for Cali, you have to fix it, but try the other stuff first.
In the end you will have a great rig, these are worth a little investment. Good ones are fetching crazy money, so this is one of those vehicles you really can't lose on.

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
Did Cali change the laws? I thought if it was over 25 years old, there was no smog test required. Anyway, I would start with a full complete tune up. You will want it anyway and very often old plug wires and old plugs will cause smog fails. A new Cat will help, but on;y if everything else is good, it won't fix other issues.
I would do all new plugs, wires, cap rotor, check all vacuum hoses(replace all if you can), new air filter, and set timing to factory settings. Would not hurt to change the coil, they can get weak over time and may not cause a smog fail, but may contribute.
Do a compression test, make sure there are not weak cylinders. If all are strong, passing smog should not be an issue, if one is weak you need to figure out why before getting too deep. A head gasket or valve job is not too bad, bad rings means a full rebuild at this point.
So, do a compression test first, if it passes do a complete tune up and I bet that not only will it pass, but will run smoother and have more power. If the cat is still an issue for Cali, you have to fix it, but try the other stuff first.
In the end you will have a great rig, these are worth a little investment. Good ones are fetching crazy money, so this is one of those vehicles you really can't lose on.
California Law is 1974 and older are smog exempt, not the age of the car unfortunately.

The sparks/wires are brand new, I have the receipt from the previous owner and they look brand new as well. But if they are an issue, I'll get them swapped out as well. The hoses are also all new. I'm not sure if the place I dropped it off at will do a compression test, but they are doing a full inspection of it, I'll figure that out.

I am getting a K&N round filter for it, I am a K&N fanboy, though I've read on their site that the big round filters are not CA compliant for emissions, not sure if that's because of the visual inspection or what.

The catalytic converter has no EO (Executive Order) number on it, so it isn't CARB compliant, so it will need to be changed out. I could try to get a DMV referee to check it off, but I would rather get it on the up and up before having to do that. Not sure I'm up for a full engine rebuild, but gaskets and valve jobs I can do or have done.

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Unfortunately the rolling smog exemption ended some time ago. At this point model-year '76 and up have to smog. :(

-TJ

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
New update! Mechanic is almost done with the overall inspection, and found the catalytic converter was completely rusted out, and the exhaust had come off the hangers. The muffler is also broken off the exhaust pipe slightly. There was a collapsed hose in the emissions system, but other than that, they say the it's checking out pretty well.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

New update! Mechanic is almost done with the overall inspection, and found the catalytic converter was completely rusted out, and the exhaust had come off the hangers. The muffler is also broken off the exhaust pipe slightly. There was a collapsed hose in the emissions system, but other than that, they say the it's checking out pretty well.
Well, that's good news. I didn't even notice before you're in San Jose, I work in Palo Alto.

-TJ

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I think with a little TLC and some tasteful mods you will have one fantastic rig. I miss the one I had and regret not getting another one while the prices were still low.

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
So, got word from the mechanic, it's going to take some work to get it up and passing smog, it'll be ~$2,200. That's to replace the exhaust from the manifolds back, some fuel lines replaced, vacuum system work, distributor needs to be taken off and the vacuum line put on correctly, and maybe a carburetor rebuild, but that isn't included in this quote, and replacing the thermostat.

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
I think with a little TLC and some tasteful mods you will have one fantastic rig. I miss the one I had and regret not getting another one while the prices were still low.
I plan to keep it pretty stock, except maybe a 3 or 4 inch lift, which is tasteful and not super jacked up for these rigs, and throw a roof top tent on the rack.

renodemona

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TCT
Nice, another FSJ. Just to correct some statements from earlier in the thread, the transmission is a TF727 but still a 3 speed. There are lots of mods and info out there, I highly recommend checking out the FSJ Network Forum it is specific to full size jeeps, I'm on there, lots of good people.

billiardspintail

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Jose, CA
First Name
Bryce
Last Name
McNab
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GNT
That is a good looking project. Good luck and I am looking forward to the progress reports. It is going to look good with a RTT on it and rocking it old school - solid axles, gas guzzling V8, 4 door wagon. :)
That's basically the plan, verbatim