Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Mateo, CA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Bright
Member #

What's not going as planned?? You get it on? I was knee deep in school work, just saw your post.
I should have taken more pics. The factory bolts did not want to be removed. Two of them froze. They were installed with some sort of locking and weather sealant. It was crazy. One was stuck at the rear and the other near the front right mount. So....

Rear:

Drilled the head off the original bolt.
Pulled the rear plastic and had to manipulate the headliner to get our hands in there to access the bracket with the bolt on it. Pain- in the A$$.

Front- had to remove the oh Crap handle, plastic pieces going up the pillar and pull down the headliner a bit. All this near the side air bag! Great!!! Pain, but completed.

After pulling the mounts off we had to place the remainder of the bolt in a vice and wrench the dang things off. Not exaggerating. It took us 20 minutes for one of the bolts. The second was less then 5.
Grabbed a metric tap and die set from a buddy and ran that through EVERY nut That really helped. We test fit a couple and they started to bind immediately and then decided to clean them out.

After that it wasn’t bad. Rack installed super easy. My only concern is water. We used RVT in and around all of the mounts. I’m going to go out this morning and finish the foremost front mounts and replace the rubber from the rain channel. I’m also going to apply one more coat of RVT.

We started around 1:44 and did not finish until 7:00 last night. Well, almost complete!!

I’ll take more pics later today after I finish it up. Here a couple from last night.

Oh... sold the OEM rack yesterday.

Excuse typos. Using IPhone. IMG_4726.JPGIMG_4725.JPG

Last edited:

Jeepinit

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Mateo, CA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Bright
Member #

What's not going as planned?? You get it on? I was knee deep in school work, just saw your post.
Take a look at the top pic. That’s the front right mount. The only way to remove the rack was to drill the head of the bolt off. That was the easy part!!

Reactions: H60Flyer

H60Flyer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

NC, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wolfen
Member #

Take a look at the top pic. That’s the front right mount. The only way to remove the rack was to drill the head of the bolt off. That was the easy part!!
Oh wow, I'm suprised those bolts were that hard to remove! That's ridiculous. Looks great though! You will now have much more room on top along with the extra lighting. Well done!
(No spelling errors - Android, lol)

Reactions: Jeepinit

Jeepinit

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Mateo, CA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Bright
Member #

Oh wow, I'm suprised those bolts were that hard to remove! That's ridiculous. Looks great though! You will now have much more room on top along with the extra lighting. Well done!
(No spelling errors - Android, lol)
LOL. Ha!

Yeah. It was crazy. I would have taken more pics, but had to call some buddies to assist. I didn’t want to take pics while everyone was working on it. Didn’t seem cool.

And.. figured I’d place the badges on it so I never will think about pulling the dang thing off!

H60Flyer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

NC, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wolfen
Member #

Off topic, but....

I think I’m applying the emblems to each side of the rack. Maybe at the rear. I’ll let you know.
I bet you made someone very happy with that factory rack you sold. [emoji106]

Jeepinit

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Mateo, CA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Bright
Member #

I bet you made someone very happy with that factory rack you sold. [emoji106]
I think so. He seemed like a great guy. Big BMW and 4Runner guy. Go figure... I’ve had both. He just sold his 4th Gen and is looking for a 5th gen. We laughed. Bought the rack without a vehicle.

H60Flyer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

NC, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wolfen
Member #

I think so. He seemed like a great guy. Big BMW and 4Runner guy. Go figure... I’ve had both. He just sold his 4th Gen and is looking for a 5th gen. We laughed. Bought the rack without a vehicle.
That's too funny!

H60Flyer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

NC, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wolfen
Member #

Oh. And hope all of your school work went as planned!
I just had to read 100+ pages on 18th century poetry then write a 1000 word formal essay in APA format (with title page, outline, and references) on Ozmandias, a 14 line poem that took form of a sonnet in iambic pentameter written by P.B. Shelley in 1818......followed by a 75 question test that had a time limit on crap that I'm not exactly into. Lol. I would periodically take breaks to go mess with my motorcycle to keep from going crazy. I do have a 99 in this class which is supprising. 3 classes left for my degree that I should have gotten 20 years ago. [emoji16] 20190218_162348.jpeg20181006_111318.jpeg

Jeepinit

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Mateo, CA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Bright
Member #

I just had to read 100+ pages on 18th century poetry then write a 1000 word formal essay in APA format (with title page, outline, and references) on Ozmandias, a 14 line poem that took form of a sonnet in iambic pentameter written by P.B. Shelley in 1818......followed by a 75 question test that had a time limit on crap that I'm not exactly into. Lol. I would periodically take breaks to go mess with my motorcycle to keep from going crazy. I do have a 99 in this class which is supprising. 3 classes left for my degree that I should have gotten 20 years ago. [emoji16] View attachment 86465View attachment 86466
Good for you!! Looks like you’re at least having fun working on the bike!!

H60Flyer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

NC, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wolfen
Member #

Good for you!! Looks like you’re at least having fun working on the bike!!
Always! Battery was not charging correctly so I replaced the stator, rectifier, and a few other electrical connections. I'll be riding wheelies in no time.