Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ive been running patagonias for a while. my only complaint is how difficult they are to balance. Other than that theyve outperformed every other maximum traction tire ive used both on and off road.

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Ive been running patagonias for a while. my only complaint is how difficult they are to balance. Other than that theyve outperformed every other maximum traction tire ive used both on and off road.
I have a sheet of wheel weights on one and almost zero on another. After this last trip they feel unbalanced again. lol

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have a sheet of wheel weights on one and almost zero on another. After this last trip they feel unbalanced again. lol
Yeah ive had a few weights come off on the trails and had to drive home feeling like i really screwed something up but ive run these long enough to know whats happened. Ive been using the clip on weights on inside edge of the rim, those stick on ones tend to loose the sticky after a few water crossings. The clip on ones still fall off sometimes when on rocky trails. My wife drove 400 miles with one of ours missing a weight it felt like the wheel was gonna fly off, but it didnt cause any damage and felt normal again after putting another on. Fun stuff

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Yeah ive had a few weights come off on the trails and had to drive home feeling like i really screwed something up but ive run these long enough to know whats happened. Ive been using the clip on weights on inside edge of the rim, those stick on ones tend to loose the sticky after a few water crossings. The clip on ones still fall off sometimes when on rocky trails. My wife drove 400 miles with one of ours missing a weight it felt like the wheel was gonna fly off, but it didnt cause any damage and felt normal again after putting another on. Fun stuff
I should probably check mine more regularly. My dad used to work at a body shop and they would play jokes on other employees using clip on weights. What a jerk. lol

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I should probably check mine more regularly. My dad used to work at a body shop and they would play jokes on other employees using clip on weights. What a jerk. lol
Yep they are now a part of the pre and post trip checklist. Actually i check em every other day or so just because it bothers me when things are off.
When i worked at a race shop we did the old air bag pranks, now that i farm/ranch i try like hell to get city folks to touch the electric fence.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Yep they are now a part of the pre and post trip checklist. Actually i check em every other day or so just because it bothers me when things are off.
When i worked at a race shop we did the old air bag pranks, now that i farm/ranch i try like hell to get city folks to touch the electric fence.
Lmao! Is that portable fence run off a 12v and solar or 110v? It makes a difference. Ask how I know. :openmouth:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Lmao! Is that portable fence run off a 12v and solar or 110v? It makes a difference. Ask how I know. :openmouth:
I have both for power outages and they are both 5 mile the ammount of miles they run makes a big difference too higher amp. Usually i take folks over to the fence ill lean on it (ive been shocked enough its no bother to me) and try to get em to pet a pig. Its fun, especially fun when said city person is wearing sandals and the ground is wet.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I had seen in another post you were talking about having lift shacles on your canyon. I have 2-3" lift shackles on my colorado duramax and have noticed the exhaust tip rubbing the shackle and heating up the rubber bushing on the leaf spring. Do you have this issue? Or are your shackles short enough to clear?
Im about to swap to blocks and build traction bars for mine to eleminate axle hop was going to do the traction bars anyway since i still had hop with shackles.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I had seen in another post you were talking about having lift shacles on your canyon. I have 2-3" lift shackles on my colorado duramax and have noticed the exhaust tip rubbing the shackle and heating up the rubber bushing on the leaf spring. Do you have this issue? Or are your shackles short enough to clear?
Im about to swap to blocks and build traction bars for mine to eleminate axle hop was going to do the traction bars anyway since i still had hop with shackles.
I just cut the exhaust off before the shackle. It was starting to heat up the bushing but I plan to have a turn down tip added but in winter it's not hot enough to do any harm so I've put it off. My buddy has the same shackles with a turn down pipe and it works great. You get increased clearance behind the rear tire too.

Reactions: Wallygator

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Is your a diesel? No dpf delete? I had thought of cutting it and doing a high clearance turndown but not sure if that would screw with the dpf scr system or not. My end goal with the exhaust is to make a 4 inch stack/ exhaust snorkle to match the intake. My biggest fear of just cutting it like that is during regen the exhaust temps after dpf are around 1500 degrees and lots of dry grass around me.
You can see where mine are touching even from afar also my tip is around 2 inch lower than it should be.
20190420_150141.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Wallygator

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Another thing i can say about the shackles, for light towing like camping/utility trailer they were fine but when towing a livestock trailer or car hauler with car on it the springs would look like they are about to snap they lay totally flat. Also with my roof rack loaded with kayak @135lb and a bed full of gear another 400lb the leafs would lay flat. and Over christmas i had to pull a car with locked up transmission and steering out of a garage on a icy driveway and was getting crazy wheel hop youd think the truck had 1000 hp the way i had it jumping. Before i did my lift i helped a semi truck and trailer out of a ditch and that was the only time i had seen the leafs lay flat like that stock but that was like 80,000lb vs 6200lbs so it was understandable.

My 3" blocks come saturday if the weather is good ill switch the shackles out for stock and put the blocks on this weekend also plan on replacing the rubber exhaust hangers since im sure theve been worn out over the last year or so. Ill do some towing and offroading and let you know which one feels better over time.

Last edited:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I finally got an alignment! It's been 3+ months since I installed the aftermarket UCAs but I've been working on getting my front suspension set where I want it so no sense in wasting money on an alignment until that was done.

Looking at the before numbers the UCAs added quite a bit of caster and toe but I was still having trouble rubbing the rear of the wheel well after adding the 1.00" wheel spacers. The tech at Less Schwab was great and he let me go into the work area to discuss my desired outcome. We ended up pushing the wheel as far forward as possible. It's easier to make room in the front of the well than the rear.

During my alignment last summer before the UCAs we set caster at 2.9 and 3.1.
20200123_112326.jpg

Reactions: RoarinRow

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I finally got an alignment! It's been 3+ months since I installed the aftermarket UCAs but I've been working on getting my front suspension set where I want it so no sense in wasting money on an alignment until that was done.

Looking at the before numbers the UCAs added quite a bit of caster and toe but I was still having trouble rubbing the rear of the wheel well after adding the 1.00" wheel spacers. The tech at Less Schwab was great and he let me go into the work area to discuss my desired outcome. We ended up pushing the wheel as far forward as possible. It's easier to make room in the front of the well than the rear.

During my alignment last summer before the UCAs we set caster at 2.9 and 3.1.
View attachment 136809
Nice! I'm surprised you were able to move the front wheel much, but agree it's almost always easier to make room up front than fight the hard-stop in the back of the wheel well (firewall, door, etc.).

-TJ

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Nice! I'm surprised you were able to move the front wheel much, but agree it's almost always easier to make room up front than fight the hard-stop in the back of the wheel well (firewall, door, etc.).

-TJ
Me too considering my UCAs are not adjustable.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Another thing i can say about the shackles, for light towing like camping/utility trailer they were fine but when towing a livestock trailer or car hauler with car on it the springs would look like they are about to snap they lay totally flat. Also with my roof rack loaded with kayak @135lb and a bed full of gear another 400lb the leafs would lay flat. and Over christmas i had to pull a car with locked up transmission and steering out of a garage on a icy driveway and was getting crazy wheel hop youd think the truck had 1000 hp the way i had it jumping. Before i did my lift i helped a semi truck and trailer out of a ditch and that was the only time i had seen the leafs lay flat like that stock but that was like 80,000lb vs 6200lbs so it was understandable.

My 3" blocks come saturday if the weather is good ill switch the shackles out for stock and put the blocks on this weekend also plan on replacing the rubber exhaust hangers since im sure theve been worn out over the last year or so. Ill do some towing and offroading and let you know which one feels better over time.
Please keep me posted. My leafs are already flat looking with or without the shackles. I tried to remove my AAL and run just the shackles and the leafs looked scary flat so I reinstalled them.

Ohh and no diesel here so I don't have to worry about the exhaust and the finicky sensors.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Please keep me posted. My leafs are already flat looking with or without the shackles. I tried to remove my AAL and run just the shackles and the leafs looked scary flat so I reinstalled them.

Ohh and no diesel here so I don't have to worry about the exhaust and the finicky sensors.
Dang you just ruled out aal for me, i kindof figured they dont do well. With my 3 inch shackles it really flattens out and almost inverts. Looks like now the options are air ride in rear, traction/ladder bar or 4 link it. The lift blocks came wednesday so saturday im switching over, in my minds eye i can see the block doing better since the leafs are going back to their stock location. I think the shackles were letting the rear shocks over extend on bumps also and probably giving terrible pinion angles offroad.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Dang you just ruled out aal for me, i kindof figured they dont do well. With my 3 inch shackles it really flattens out and almost inverts. Looks like now the options are air ride in rear, traction/ladder bar or 4 link it. The lift blocks came wednesday so saturday im switching over, in my minds eye i can see the block doing better since the leafs are going back to their stock location. I think the shackles were letting the rear shocks over extend on bumps also and probably giving terrible pinion angles offroad.
Have you ruled out the ARB/OME pack? Might solve all of the issues AND ride better.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Have you ruled out the ARB/OME pack? Might solve all of the issues AND ride better.
I would if i were running a bed rack and gear all the time. But ive heard they arent much different than the aal where unloaded its real stiff and loaded feel somewhat normal. Im hoping going back to the stock shackles it will let the bumpstops do their job again and that should take care of the flattening out. If not im probably going to go with air bag helpers first since the ride and load can be adjusted basically a big adjustable bumpstop.