Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I planted about 15 semi dwarf fruit tress in 1981, they are in their prime. Trees I planted in 2000/2001 are just starting to have great production. Peach trees are amazing.
That is what they say. The best time to plant fruit trees was 10 years ago! lol (Though... sounds like 20yrs would be even better!)

It does give me something to look forward to down the road. So far I have planted (as far as fruit goes) 2 peaches, 2 plums, 4 mulberries, 1 pear, and 1 fig... with 4 more figs going in soon, 2 high-bush blueberries (Will be pruned under 8ft tall for better production/easy picking), and 4 clusters of artichoke mounds in between for added privacy. The rest I planted were just ornamental for the front/side yard areas to raise curb appeal.

I made sure to get trees that are resistant to the diseases in my area... and made sure that their fruit ripens in staggered succession so as to have a solid flow of fruit vs a tsunami. Self-pollination for all as well except the pear.

I have plans/room for much much more. Next year I will likely get some Paw Paw fruit and Persimmons. Then come back and plant more in the understory of all the trees as they grow. I would not mind having a lot more blueberries, raspberries, etc.

My son eats over $100 worth of fruit every week or so. lol

Reactions: JCWages

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
New Engine and Trans coming in 2023...

Allegedly!

If you want a naturally aspirated V6 or Turbo Diesel you will want to buy before then. Otherwise, it looks like the twins will be getting the 2.7L Turbo Gasser and 10spd out of the Silverado. GM allegedly plans to line up the U.S. midsize market and global markets.

The upgrade will put the GM twins at around 40 HP more than the Ranger and a lot more torque as well.

Reactions: OverLamb24

JBurg540

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Michigan, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Burgard
Member #

Not too surprised that GM is going to share the engine/transmission across multiple vehicle lines. I've driven the 2.7L 4 cylinder turbo in a Silverado and it's a nice response. No doubt it would be even better in a smaller Colorado. The current 3.6L V6 is practically the same engine that's in my parent's both Buicks.

I hope it's not true about dropping the option of a diesel for the Twins, as that is a big differentiator for GM in the midsize market. Met a few guys who bought the ZR2 because of the diesel option, not to mention the better towing in non-ZR2 models.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
AEV has Both ZR2 Bison and plain ZR2 options!!!

I have not heard this anywhere surprisingly. I was just surfing around on AEV's website this morning and happened to notice it. AEV now has options of 35" tall tires and 4.10 re-geared trucks strait from dealers!!! What!!! And for those who prefer the ZR2 front bumper... you get to keep it.

1588164938711.png

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Just got and email from AEV stating that the Highmark fender flares are now available for ZR2 and Bison trucks.

Here is what the email said it enables you to do with the truck. Pretty impressive!

"These high clearance fender flares open up the front and rear wheel wells substantially, making room for a 35” tall tire with NO LIFT! This allows you to take full advantage of the ZR2’s extremely capable and incredibly well-engineered OEM suspension system, while also maintaining a lower center of gravity with all the floatation and ground clearance of a larger tire."

So... long story short... IF I were young and Single. I would now have a Colorado Z71 that I paid just $32.5k for... and be about to throw on a small 2" lift (but high quality)... and all of the AEV goodies like bumpers, skids, rims, and then throwing on some 35" tires/and a re-gear once the current ones wore out.

All for under $40k and spread out over time. Not bad.

Perhaps in a few years after I retire and make sure the economy has not tanked. (I work in aviation)

1588624690309.png

Reactions: madcratebuilder

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Epic Artic adventure by a guy in a 2WD minivan. Makes me think I wasted my time taking off my airdam. lol

I want to do this one day. Would have to be by myself though as I know what -65F to -100F feels like... and how deadly it can be. I lived in Fairbanks for several years back when I was in the Army. Saw it not get Above -65F for two weeks strait one year.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Upgraded the front tow hooks. I used red brake caliper paint (that I plan to add to the actual calipers at some point) after sanding roughing paint and then cleaning with alcohol. At least they are noticeable from further than 3ft away now.

Subtle but nice!

IMG_1718.JPG
IMG_1714.JPG
IMG_1715.JPG
IMG_1717.JPG

Reactions: JBurg540

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Pressurized Water

While I do already have the water pump/filter system that I will be bringing with me. Having some high-pressure water would be of extremely high use for me. Especially when cleaning fish after a fishing trip or getting sand off from the beach before climbing back into the truck. So I am looking at both of the following.

Pretty Sure I will be going with the Water Port. It auto-pressurizes as you fill with the garden hose. Which is amazing in my opinion. This would enable me to clean the fish and dump the carcasses before driving home. Keeping the awful smell out of my personal can!

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Boost Auto Parts

I just found yet another company providing several offerings for my truck (Several things for most brands actually).

I just made the purchase for the following light mod. From here on out... when I engage the High Beams... my lows, and fogs will come on as well. Which means, it will be of even more benefit to upgrade my fog lights to some driving lights!

It looks like a SUPER SIMPLE mod. Just probably a Diode integrated into the wire. Which allows power to flow one direction but not the other.

At just a $19.95 price tag... I will give them my money. lol They saved me a lot of time from having to figure out how to do it.

Mirrors, mirrors, big useful mirrors.

I really like their offerings! I can either just get the base version which will keep the power adjust and heated function of my truck's stock mirrors. However, offering a much more useful view for towing... AND... for keeping an eye on the back tires when off-road. This feature may pay for them if it just saves one set of rims/tires from pinching on a sharp rock.

Another option would be to get the high-grade version for around $60 more. Which would integrate LED blinker/running lights... AND... backup/work/cargo/camp light feature. You can actually choose to get either a high intensity or calmer light. I would opt for calmer since I could then use the cargo light for a camp light. This would help for backing up at night as well!

I will sit on the thought of the mirrors for a while though. I am leaning towards basic. I think I will just tie in my reverse lights to the cargo lights. Via something similar to the 6 way headlight mod.

Reactions: JBurg540

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Another semi-hidden winch bumper has hit the market. WARN

1592248196913.png

KEY FEATURES:

• Fits all current WARN mid-frame winches (excluding M8274-50 and PowerPlant)
• Easy install–no need to relocate the winch control pack
• Built-in port for clutch lever access or lighting (except 3rd Gen Tacoma)
• Provides two recovery points for shackles
• Low-profile 2” grille guard tube adds front-end protection
• Constructed of heavy gauge steel with a durable black textured powder coated finish to protect against corrosion.
• Made in the USA

Last edited:

CJP

Rank I

Enthusiast I

MI, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
P
Boost Auto Parts

I just found yet another company providing several offerings for my truck (Several things for most brands actually).

I just made the purchase for the following light mod. From here on out... when I engage the High Beams... my lows, and fogs will come on as well. Which means, it will be of even more benefit to upgrade my fog lights to some driving lights!

It looks like a SUPER SIMPLE mod. Just probably a Diode integrated into the wire. Which allows power to flow one direction but not the other.

At just a $19.95 price tag... I will give them my money. lol They saved me a lot of time from having to figure out how to do it.

Mirrors, mirrors, big useful mirrors.

I really like their offerings! I can either just get the base version which will keep the power adjust and heated function of my truck's stock mirrors. However, offering a much more useful view for towing... AND... for keeping an eye on the back tires when off-road. This feature may pay for them if it just saves one set of rims/tires from pinching on a sharp rock.

Another option would be to get the high-grade version for around $60 more. Which would integrate LED blinker/running lights... AND... backup/work/cargo/camp light feature. You can actually choose to get either a high intensity or calmer light. I would opt for calmer since I could then use the cargo light for a camp light. This would help for backing up at night as well!

I will sit on the thought of the mirrors for a while though. I am leaning towards basic. I think I will just tie in my reverse lights to the cargo lights. Via something similar to the 6 way headlight mod.
I’ve been following a guy on YouTube who does Canyon/Colorado mods and tutorials. He recently upgraded his mirrors to the boost auto ones, below is his video:

I like how clean they look once installed, they look factory.

Last edited:
  • Wow

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I’ve been following on guy on YouTube who does Canyon/Colorado mods and tutorials. He recently upgraded his mirrors to the boost auto ones, below is his video:

I like how clean they look once installed, they look factory.

Nice! Thanks for sharing. They do look very nice! Keep seeing the boost mirrors (or other similar mfrs) alllllll over the place now that I know that they exist. Mostly on other truck types.

This is one of those things I REALLY like. I shall sit on the thought for a while to make sure I still want them. Then I will pull the trigger if I do. I LOVE the thought of being able to aim the lower mirrors at the rear tires. Should help out on solo trips on the trail. Which is my main mission.

Now that we are in the midst of a long term pandemic. My wife really wants to get and RV to tow around the country for trips. In an effort to keep the kids out of public restrooms and such like that to minimize exposure. Especially since my daughter has her auto-immune disease.

Long story short, I may be getting a trailer brake controller, front/rear diff re-gearing, and a pair of these mirrors at some point.

It really sucks that I have to retire from the military next year. My job skill is working on aircraft. Seeing some of the mega airline corporations laying-off 45% of their employees recently is not giving me very good vibes for the next few years of life after the military.

We are now in saving mode. Stocking up on things slowly as we can... for the next wave of coronavirus. Usually the second wave in the following Fall time is much larger than the first wave. This thing is trying already starting to build a wave even during the Summer.

There is a small chance we may end up living out of an RV. lol

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I have pretty much stopped making progress on my build. It's not dead yet!

Just accumulating things that aren't really worthy... and waiting for things to cool down before working on the hot truck bed. I have been performing CPR on the large garden and 14 new trees I put in this year to keep them alive. Been cutting back/hacking away at the forest behind my house to make the shaded area under 3 large trees usable for the wife and kids. Turns out the yard was missing a usable shaded area.

This heat REALLY puts an emphasis on my need for some shade when out on the trail! I will have to figure that one out. I want something that can be popped open in an instant for lunch break. And something large for the stationary days.

I recently took an emergency trip down to GA to assist my brother to take care of my grandmother (Cancer). Anyways, I reset Trip A at the beginning of the trip. Took a pic after I pulled into the driveway at the end of the trip.

25mpg for 1k miles. Lots of 70mph driving. Lots of traffic at times too though. Air dam removed. The MPG was climbing on the return trip since the winds usually blow North during the Summer. Last 50mi or so were spent cruising slower and fuel economy was SUPER high.

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Well... it appears that COVID has altered my overlanding plans. My daughter has an auto-immune disease and we do not want her using public spaces if possible until this thing passes (If it ever does).

My truck shall now be used as a tow rig to get an RV down the road. Then the RV will be a home base while we explore different areas.

Yesterday I installed a Curt Spectrum brake controller onto my rig. The only modifications required were splicing a wire harness into the factory one (Which already had pre-made terminations made up so that was super easy)... and drilling 2 holes to mount the switch.

Here is the ONLY THING I can see from the trailer brake controller. Not too bad....

IMG_1907.JPG

The part that took the longest was running the wires securely and neatly so as to prevent chaffing/problems, find a place to secure the main module remotely, and figuring out where to mount the control head/interface switch.

Final product is simple and sweet. She automatically adjusts herself. Even applying more or less trailer brake depending on situations like going up or down a hill... etc.

If the trailer starts to sway I can just quickly press on the control switch and it will apply just the trailer brakes.

The trailer I will be towing will still be several thousand below my max tow capacity (Dry weight is 1/2 my max actually). So I can throw on a leveling/anti-sway hitch and still be able to have room for say 400 to 600lbs of gear in the bed before reaching that max level.

I will not need that much weight in the rear though... but it is nice to know that there is plenty of room.

It is looking like I will have some excellent time off next year!!! Time to go introduce the kids to the Alpine Loop Trail, the White Rim Trail, the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, and everything in-between and beyond.

Here is the RV we currently have our sites set on.

Last edited:

JBurg540

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Michigan, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Burgard
Member #

Also posted this in the ColoradoFans forum.

Like a lot of us, choosing an air compressor is difficult given the wide array of options and budget limitations. I ended up choosing the Puma PD1006 compressor and have used it for a couple of months now. It's a great little unit that doesn't seem as widely known in the off-road community. I wanted a compressor and an air tank, but I didn't want to mount a tank under the bed exposed to the elements. This thread on IH8Mud.com going back to 2007 helped me make my decision: Puma 12V Compressor Ordered mine via Air Compressors Direct with no issues for $270. Additional cost for materials to hardwire and mounting was about $125 (the 2ga wire being the bulk of that cost).

Here's the manufacture's site for their 12V products: PRODUCTS - PUMA PROFESSIONAL AIR COMPRESSOR D.C. OIL-LESS DIRECT DRIVE SERIES - PUMA INDUSTRIES, INC. - COMMERCIAL / PROFESSIONAL / INDUSTRIAL AIR COMPRESSORS AND AIR TOOLS. The PD1006 I have comes with a 1.5 gallon steel tank, but Puma also makes one with a 3 gallon aluminum tank.
Puma_PD1006_PD1012A_CompressorSpecs.JPG
Max Pressure: 135psi
CFM @ 0psi: 3.3
CFM @ 40psi: 2.0
CFM @ 90psi: 1.36
Amps 46 @ 12V

Pros:
  • Price and performance are both reasonable / comparable to the ARB single
  • Continuous Duty Cycle (the motor cooling fan moves a lot of air)
  • Air tank integrated (making it useful for various applications other than just airing up your tires)
  • Quiet (at 78 dB it's similar to a washing machine)
  • Quickly fills up my tires
Cons:
  • Large, takes up valuable bed space (having the long bed, so far not an issue)
  • Power cables w/ alligator clips were too short to be useful (not an issue if hardwiring)
  • Not weatherproof (However, others have mounted just the motor/compressor unit in their engine bay)
  • Needed to replace the tank draining valve and add a hose to drain condensate
  • Installation does not have ready made options as available for ARB compressors (the wiring harnesses, mounting brackets, etc.)

Installation:
While the PD1006 is a larger unit, it fit perfectly in the dead space between two jerry can holder mounts I already had installed in my bed. The compressor tank feet were bolted through a 1x10 board that forms the base of the jerry can holders. The jerry can holders are bolted to the unistrut rail forming a solid mount.
IMG_20200806_193303.jpg

I cut the alligator clips off the end of the unit's 10ga wire and replaced them with Anderson SB50 connectors. 8ga wire with a fuse then goes to the power distribution box. Main power from the battery is about 18 feet of 2ga wire with a 120 amp breaker to be able to shut off power when the compressor or other accessories are not in use. Measured voltage drop from the battery to the power distro box junction terminals was only about 0.3V when the compressor was running. So the compressor was receiving a little less than 13.5V while the engine is running. I removed the drain bleeder valve, replacing it with copper tubing to a ball valve to some vinyl tubing to drain condensate out the side of the bed. The air hose coupling was run to the back of the bed mounted with a bracket and bulk-head fitting to the unistrut rail.
IMG_20200806_193317.jpg IMG_20200806_193409.jpg IMG_20200903_135107.jpg IMG_20201005_104546.jpg

I created a handy deflator / inflator tool with Haltec lock on air chucks to deflate or inflate two tires simultaneously. Works well.
IMG_20201007_153459.jpg IMG_20201007_153538.jpg

Performance:
The compressor takes an average of 60 seconds to fill the 1.5 gallon tank from 0 to 135psi.

On stock 265/65R17 Duratracs, deflating two tires simultaneously from 35 to 15 psi with my deflator / inflator tool took about 2min 10sec.

Inflating the same two tires from 15 back to 35psi starting with a full compressor tank took about the same time of 2min 15sec.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Got some new shoes for the lady yesterday. Some stock sized KO2s.

Man those things look beefy compared to my work out stick tires!

She is now ready to embark on our trip out West starting Monday. We will be pulling the R-pod 193 travel trailer the whole way.

As of right now we plan on beating pavement strait to Glacier NP and spending 5 days in the area.

After that we will wing it for a few weeks out west between Olympic NP and Yellowstone

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Well... it appears that COVID has altered my overlanding plans. My daughter has an auto-immune disease and we do not want her using public spaces if possible until this thing passes (If it ever does).

My truck shall now be used as a tow rig to get an RV down the road. Then the RV will be a home base while we explore different areas.

Yesterday I installed a Curt Spectrum brake controller onto my rig. The only modifications required were splicing a wire harness into the factory one (Which already had pre-made terminations made up so that was super easy)... and drilling 2 holes to mount the switch.

Here is the ONLY THING I can see from the trailer brake controller. Not too bad....

View attachment 172357

The part that took the longest was running the wires securely and neatly so as to prevent chaffing/problems, find a place to secure the main module remotely, and figuring out where to mount the control head/interface switch.

Final product is simple and sweet. She automatically adjusts herself. Even applying more or less trailer brake depending on situations like going up or down a hill... etc.

If the trailer starts to sway I can just quickly press on the control switch and it will apply just the trailer brakes.

The trailer I will be towing will still be several thousand below my max tow capacity (Dry weight is 1/2 my max actually). So I can throw on a leveling/anti-sway hitch and still be able to have room for say 400 to 600lbs of gear in the bed before reaching that max level.

I will not need that much weight in the rear though... but it is nice to know that there is plenty of room.

It is looking like I will have some excellent time off next year!!! Time to go introduce the kids to the Alpine Loop Trail, the White Rim Trail, the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, and everything in-between and beyond.

Here is the RV we currently have our sites set on.

I tend to forget that not all z71 colorados came with the controller from factory.

TundraGuy

Rank 0

Contributor I

USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kia
Pressurized Water

While I do already have the water pump/filter system that I will be bringing with me. Having some high-pressure water would be of extremely high use for me. Especially when cleaning fish after a fishing trip or getting sand off from the beach before climbing back into the truck. So I am looking at both of the following.

Pretty Sure I will be going with the Water Port. It auto-pressurizes as you fill with the garden hose. Which is amazing in my opinion. This would enable me to clean the fish and dump the carcasses before driving home. Keeping the awful smell out of my personal can!

I would use the "auto pressure" loosely. The pressure in that thing sucks.

Contributor I

USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Leo
I would use the "auto pressure" loosely. The pressure in that thing sucks.
Agreed. I get way more use out of my RinseKit. I tried waterport but returned it right away. I really had to fight too because customer service tried to tell me i couldnt return it.