Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
These new line of Pelican Cases oriented toward Camping/Outdoors/Overlanding seem very promising! I like them.

Being able to systematize my truck bed and adapt it to different things would be HUGE! I could have a set of boxes for camping/fishing on the beach. Others for overlanding. And even more for working out of the truck (think tools and battery chargers).

Nothing new to update on my truck. Just been using it heavily as a truck for the new home. A truck this size is GREAT for a small homestead or someone in suburbia.

Did about 5 tows bringing everything down from Virginia. It performed amicably.

Loaded the bed over and over bringing things home from Lowe's. A load of around $175 worth of fruit trees/bushes fit wonderfully with the Diamondback bed cover. Just popped the gas shock bases off and folded the cover over on itself. It turns out that it will stay in track like that. Just held it down with a ratchet strap. It gave room for tall potted trees to stand vertically.

This feature of the Diamondback has also proved useful for loads of long boards hanging out the rear end of the bed.

Just this morning in fact I brought home about 250lbs of salt for the new water softener and about 350lbs worth of soil/peat moss/and fertilizer. The ride smoothed out wonderfully and the truck bed still had room to go before being leveled out. That is with the front end lifting up a bit since I put most of the weight at the far rear end of the bed (behind the axle).

I towed the Aquaponics system down and got her up and going now. Here is a time-lapse of the lettuce growing. I have the system set up to last about 3 weeks between maintenance cycles. So any longer than that and I will have to have somone swing by to add water and fish food. Everything is automated.

RETIREMENT!!!

I have officially submitted my retirement letter for next Summer in 2021. Have been saving up leave for many years in anticipation for this. I will be receiving full pay for exactly 100 days (maxed it out) while I am on "terminal leave'. That would make for an EXCELLENT trip! (Or sets of trips even)

I will only be 39yrs old at that point and my retirement pay will be very little. So after that I will have to start a second career. Getting that lined up as well. Hopefully I will be able to be fully retired 20 to 30 years after that. Maybe sooner, who knows.....

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
nice build! cant wait to see how it progresses!
Thanks!

I am planning out the next few steps soon. Mostly just obtaining new items and making plans for the layout for organizing gear in the bed right now. I want it to be easy to use/access everything... and be adaptable as well.

Hopefully when we go on the ski trip up in Virginia in a few weeks I will get to hit up some of those mountain trails. Got to start setting up my gaia app soon for that as well.

Reactions: RJCanyon and KA7USA

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Thanks!

I am planning out the next few steps soon. Mostly just obtaining new items and making plans for the layout for organizing gear in the bed right now. I want it to be easy to use/access everything... and be adaptable as well.

Hopefully when we go on the ski trip up in Virginia in a few weeks I will get to hit up some of those mountain trails. Got to start setting up my gaia app soon for that as well.
The new Pelican cargo system appears to be a sweet alternative to a drawer system, the brackets for the bed are easily removed and can be positioned in many different ways

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
This dude looks like he is from Dubai... and shows how to get a vehicle unstuck from deep sand. Essentially does the same thing crawl control from Toyota does. He buried his GMC Sierra up to the frame... and it came right out!

Cool...

Reactions: Atomizer

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If you're paying for the skids then definitely go with Superskidz or 589. The OEM ZR2 plates are likely to be given away by those who are upgrading. That's how I'm getting mine. If I planned on true rock crawling I wouldn't bother with them.
If you know someone just giving em away let me know heck even if they want $100 for the front skid ill take it and the engine skid for $50-$60.

Reactions: great08 and JCWages

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
BlueDriver - OBD II scan tool

I just purchased this little miracle from Amazon for $99

Anyways, this little beauty is one of the only scan tools that will read into virtually EVERY module on your vehicle. I got it to work on the wife's aging Ford Escape, my truck, and any vehicles we will own in the future that was built after 1996.

It does a great many things. From mode 6 scans (DEEP scans that most can't do), to self emission tests, to reading/clearing codes, to looking up recalls, to reading maintenance bulletins for maintenance practices, to maintenance schedules, to vehicle specs. I now even know my truck's exact build date and at which plant it was built.

When a code is thrown... I can look up the most common thing that solved the issue even. AWESOME!!!

I can even see at exactly what time/date each code was thrown and what the vehicles parameters were when the codes were thrown! That is a major tool to assist with troubleshooting.

I will be able to test all sensors within the vehicle to see if they are within specs. Things like ABS, Airbags, Speed, Intake temp, throttle position, MAP, coolant temp, fuel pressure, trans temp, O2, and more. It even graphs everything out for you.

This will be living in my glove box. The app is free and constantly gets updates. Being able to read into all of the modules within a vehicle makes all the difference in the world for a DIY type person. No reason to fear electronics anymore for us shade-tree mechanics. Here is an old/dated review. There are a lot more features on the app I just downloaded.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

BlueDriver - OBD II scan tool

I just purchased this little miracle from Amazon for $99

Anyways, this little beauty is one of the only scan tools that will read into virtually EVERY module on your vehicle. I got it to work on the wife's aging Ford Escape, my truck, and any vehicles we will own in the future that was built after 1996.

It does a great many things. From mode 6 scans (DEEP scans that most can't do), to self emission tests, to reading/clearing codes, to looking up recalls, to reading maintenance bulletins for maintenance practices, to maintenance schedules, to vehicle specs. I now even know my truck's exact build date and at which plant it was built.

When a code is thrown... I can look up the most common thing that solved the issue even. AWESOME!!!

I can even see at exactly what time/date each code was thrown and what the vehicles parameters were when the codes were thrown! That is a major tool to assist with troubleshooting.

I will be able to test all sensors within the vehicle to see if they are within specs. Things like ABS, Airbags, Speed, Intake temp, throttle position, MAP, coolant temp, fuel pressure, trans temp, O2, and more. It even graphs everything out for you.

This will be living in my glove box. The app is free and constantly gets updates. Being able to read into all of the modules within a vehicle makes all the difference in the world for a DIY type person. No reason to fear electronics anymore for us shade-tree mechanics. Here is an old/dated review. There are a lot more features on the app I just downloaded.

There are quite a few that work, there are a few sensors gm wont let you look at with any of them.
Ours is bafx running on the torque app.
15813396203481849632870.jpg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Also know that some of those codes it will show you are absolutely useless i bought mine because i had a engine code telling me i had a bad air fuel sensor(which i know was wrong mines a diesel) and everywhere i went advance, napa etc did scans and told me the same thing. I went to the dealership and of course they couldnt figure out the codes and ended up keeping my truck for 2 weeks and they never could figure it out. So i set forth to figure it out myself using the code scanner i could tell something wasnt right since my diesel was throwing gas codes intermittantly so i guess there was a short somewhere after hours of wire tracing i found the issue the wiring loom on the drivers side above the spring perch had worn through and was grounding out. Fixed the loom and no more codes since. Every few months ill run the diagnostic tool just to see if anything is awry

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Here is a pic of my BlueDriver installed. It looks like it will be completely out of the way to just leave installed for test drives.

I put it to the Mode 6 test (Most in depth... reading from many dozens of parameters). Now I know that this thing will keep a log of all said sensors. I will be able to do a drive and watch each of my 6 cylinders for misfires. It even logs the amount of misfires seen during the current drive. There are several dozen things that can be tracked at once with this mode alone.

My truck is about a decade newer than my wife's Escape... so several more modules showed up when I did the deep system scan for codes. I did find my first code!

It said something to the order of "User Interface Error". Opened it up and it said something about operator connecting to the system improperly. Must have been the dealer when I had them install new software way back. So I cleared the code from that module. I will check it again in a few months. What was cool was that it stated that my code (Forgot to write down the actual code number) was a rare one based on their database. Then it gave me the option to mark how I cured the code... so as to update their database. Cool. An instant way to share knowledge!

I threw it back into the box and put it into my center console.

EDIT: I just went back into the app. Even though I cleared the code from my truck... the app actually saved the deep scan results! My code was B127E... "Human-Machine Interface Module" code. This is another cool feature! I will be able to go back and se the results of both the scans... and Live Data streams. Awesome.

BlueDriver.JPG

Last edited:

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Gaia GPS/Navigation

It works! (Beta Test Version)

I just have the free version of the app too... and an old iPhone 5.

I was on the sideline waiting to see if the CarPlay thing came to fruition first. I shall now upgrade to the premium membership to gain access to the crazy amount of high-end maps that come with the premium membership. I think premium membership is about $40 per year but you gain access to maps that would cost thousands (and use them for navigation via phone/dash screen).

It basically just looks like a regular topo map in free mode (Beta test version too). I could not type in an address with turn-by-turn directions. However, the basic map was pretty darn detailed. Especially with things off of the beaten path. For instance the Cavalier Wildlife Management area to the North of me had it's full boundaries well marked.

Also, I imported my track labeled "Yellowstone" for a trip I am attempting to plan out. It showed perfectly fine. So I will map out the Alpine Loop in Colorado and White Rim Trail out in Moab, UT. When we make the trip to Yellowstone (seeing several other parks on the way) I will be able to follow my pre-drawn out trails to follow. I will just use my turn-by-turn direction apps like Apple maps, google maps, etc to get to the start point... then fire up the Gaia app at the beginning of the trail head.

What is cool is that I can "Record" and create a track when I am just randomly exploring back roads if I find something cool that I want to remember/share.

AS AN IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE:

A few months back I was ferrying a helicopter from here in Elizabeth City, NC allllll the way up to Kodiak, AK. The only two apps (that I have) that worked EVERYWHERE we went were...

1) Gaia
2) Navionics

These were the only two apps that use the GPS chip in my phone. They even worked way out in BFE in Canada and waaay out over the ocean.

Pic for proof that the app works in CarPlay. These are the apps that I have that work with carplay. (I could not take a pic once I opened the app) Yes... that is a YouTube... however it does not play on the screen. I can just hit play/pause with the screen. However, you can watch youtube and other apps if you jailbreak your phone... which I will never do.

IMG_1559.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I just stole this pic from the "Colorado & Canyon Enthusiasts" FB page.

Folks were posting up picks of their truck mileage... and this guy has some decent miles on his 16' Colorado with the old 3.6 V6/ 6 spd combo. I did the math and his truck has averaged 50miles... per hour of engine run time. lol

I am going to assume he will be like all of the guys in the GM, Toyota, Ford, and Nissan truck YouTube vids I have been seeing lately with over 1 million miles on their trucks with original engine/transmissions. In each case... Those guys were driving 300 to 800 miles a day... 5 to 6 days a week. So... I take them all with a grain of salt. Reason being is that most engine/trans wear occurs 1) at startup and 2) when revving/accelerating/shifting gears. Which does not happen at all hardly once you get up to speed.

Except with the HD truck guys that were pretty much towing the whole time... Those really impressed me. Of course, just a bank of fuel injectors getting replaced would cost more than a new engine for my truck probably.

My prior Chevy Colorado was an 05' Z85, 2WD, and 2.8L 4cyl with the 4spd auto. That thing was doing great at 223,000 miles when I sold her. I needed 4WD and more power for towing though. Payload capabilities and fuel economy were about the same. Which is amazing since I now have a larger truck, 4WD, larger tires, and darn near twice the HP. I still miss the simplicity of the old truck though. If I had had the 5.3 V8 option that came in 09' (and 4WD) I would likely still have that old truck for many many more years.

High Mileage 16' Colorado 3.6.jpg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Dont let the timing belt get thrown or break on you and keep up on the oil changes, water pump replacements etc and youll likely have no problem hitting a million miles. My wife was at 1 mil when we traded her mazda 3 in.

• Love

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I just found a new Colorado/Canyon dedicated website! I have spent the whole morning scrolling through and looking around. They don't have "everything", however, they do have several versions of anything you could ever imagine.

For suspensions I saw lifts, levels, just part upgrades, Off Road bumpstops, etc, etc. With brands like Old Man Emu, Fox, Timbren, ICON, MaxTrac, King, Fabtech, etc.

Heck, with the OME leveling suspension, you can even order SEVERAL different tunes based on "stock bumper", Aftermarket with no winch, and aftermarket with winch... so that it will have different spring rates and shock valving for the different setups folks run. How awesome is that!!! Another reason to wait until the rest of the build is complete before doing the suspension.

Several pages of off-road oriented Rims.

Fiberglass extended fender kits.

Lighting (plethora of sizes, shapes, and beam patterns) and brackets for them.

Lots of different bumpers as well.

Link to the website....

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have the OME +600 lb springs waiting for install on my ZR2. The +600 set has a extra leaf, if removed is the same set as the standard weight set. Most Tacoma and GM guys order the 600lbset and may or may not use the extra spring. Waiting for a shock relocation kit. The Timbren off road bump stops are killer. I was able to remove the front sway bar and not suffer any change to hiway driving, big improvement in off road manners. After market has really taken off for the 2nd gen Colorado's, ZR2 lagged for awhile but seems to have caught up.

Check out
589FAB
Midwest Overland Ind
ZR2 Zone.
Peak Suspension

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
The Timbren off road bump stops are killer. I was able to remove the front sway bar and not suffer any change to hiway driving, big improvement in off road manners.
Now that is some GREAT info right there! I have been trying to figure out how I would be able to disconnect/reconnect the sway bars easily. Just removing them entirely would be AWESOME.

I had the Timbren (for max payload) installed on my first gen Colorado. It really did make a difference. Just on the back axle though. They held up well for several years before I moved on and got the new truck.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
At $440 for front and rear the Timbren Off Road bumps are one of the best bang for the buck mods I've done. Street driving I forget they are on the truck, it's smoother over bumps and pot holes. Off road it is very noticeable.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
At $440 for front and rear the Timbren Off Road bumps are one of the best bang for the buck mods I've done. Street driving I forget they are on the truck, it's smoother over bumps and pot holes. Off road it is very noticeable.
I watched some YouTube vids on the Timbren Off Road bumps last night after reading your post. It looks like they are made of a much softer compound than the spring helper version I had on my old Colorado.

I just applied some critical thinking about the Timbren Off-road bumps this morning on the way into work. These are a list of the benefits I could think of that they would provide...

1) They would take stress off of your shocks and cause them to run cooler. Un-sprung weight is the main contributor to shocks over-heating and melting/failing when out on those long rough roads at higher speeds. This would be helpful for that. Especially if running larger/heavier tires. The smoother landing off of whoops and such is just an added benefit.

2) Since these are of a softer material than OEM (but taller) they would obviously make the hard hits softer... both for your butt... and also for the frame/suspension/and axles. Adding longevity.

In fact - for the rear axles I always liked the fact that it transferred a portion of the weight off of my leaf springs when under heavy load in my old truck. It would place some of the weight onto the frame section between the leaf spring connection points.

3) Since the suspension is less likely to compress as far with these on... your truck will be able to retain more ground clearance. Especially in-between the A-arms of out independent front ends. The entire middle section of the front half of our trucks moves closer to the ground each time we fall off of a large rock or something. These will lessen the compression most likely. Increasing ground clearance.

4) As mentioned... less vehicle roll. Especially when loaded for overlanding.

I think I have just about convinced myself to get some! lol

I did notice a long time ago that the clearance between the Yellow poly bump stop on my front end - to A-arm base was pretty darn small. I started paying attention on my way into work this morning... and I bet it would make a difference on those large bumps in the road in my area.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I watched some YouTube vids on the Timbren Off Road bumps last night after reading your post. It looks like they are made of a much softer compound than the spring helper version I had on my old Colorado.

I just applied some critical thinking about the Timbren Off-road bumps this morning on the way into work. These are a list of the benefits I could think of that they would provide...

1) They would take stress off of your shocks and cause them to run cooler. Un-sprung weight is the main contributor to shocks over-heating and melting/failing when out on those long rough roads at higher speeds. This would be helpful for that. Especially if running larger/heavier tires. The smoother landing off of whoops and such is just an added benefit.

2) Since these are of a softer material than OEM (but taller) they would obviously make the hard hits softer... both for your butt... and also for the frame/suspension/and axles. Adding longevity.

In fact - for the rear axles I always liked the fact that it transferred a portion of the weight off of my leaf springs when under heavy load in my old truck. It would place some of the weight onto the frame section between the leaf spring connection points.

3) Since the suspension is less likely to compress as far with these on... your truck will be able to retain more ground clearance. Especially in-between the A-arms of out independent front ends. The entire middle section of the front half of our trucks moves closer to the ground each time we fall off of a large rock or something. These will lessen the compression most likely. Increasing ground clearance.

4) As mentioned... less vehicle roll. Especially when loaded for overlanding.

I think I have just about convinced myself to get some! lol

I did notice a long time ago that the clearance between the Yellow poly bump stop on my front end - to A-arm base was pretty darn small. I started paying attention on my way into work this morning... and I bet it would make a difference on those large bumps in the road in my area.
How fast are you driving? Are you racing in the desert? Are you jumping the railroad tracks? Towing/hauling way more than your supposed to be? Ive not hit a bumpstop yet on my truck and im not nice to it in the least bit.
Ya know slowing down on the trails will make things alot smoother and wont cause more washboarding which in turn requires even better suspension parts to keep up speed smoothly on the trail.
Nearly everyone i encounter on trails are trying to drive 50-60 mph for some reason on unkept trails , whats the hurry?

Reactions: RJCanyon