Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I suppose it depends on the sand i have no problem with the sand bars alond the red river i havent been in any dry powdery sand yet with muds, i grew up on the bolivar peninsula so im no stranger to sand as long as you stay on the wet packed sand down there your golden with any tire but the thing ive learned on dry powdery stuff is air down and control your throttle or your gonna be stuck even with the biggest baddest rig.
I agree!

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Generally speaking ATs are better than MTs in deep sand. You want to float on sand, not dig down. A lot will depend on specfic tire design but more depends on tire pressure and sand conditions. For someone like @great08 I wouldn't recommend MTs for his current driving patterns. :) If he starts rock crawling and hittin mud bogs then MTs all the way.
Thanks for popping that vid link in! I had heard that before somewhere. Generally speaking that as soon as you start throwing sand with your tires... you are digging.

Reactions: JCWages

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Generally speaking ATs are better than MTs in deep sand. You want to float on sand, not dig down. A lot will depend on specfic tire design but more depends on tire pressure and sand conditions. For someone like @great08 I wouldn't recommend MTs for his current driving patterns. :) If he starts rock crawling and hittin mud bogs then MTs all the way.

I think this is one of those "well, it depends" situations. I spend a LOT of time offroad in the sand. For years I was doing 90-120+ in Glamis (huge sand dunes in the Southeast corner of CA). Obviously I was mostly using dedicated vehicles (sand rails, RZRs, and such) but toys break and we've done plenty of recovery using trucks. A few seasons back my Potter car murdered a ring and pinion (10" ring gear, no less) out in some of the biggest elements of Glamis, just South from Osborne Overlook. The Potter was a around 2600-2700lbs on a 36" paddle tire - not the easiest thing to tow out with a trans that would lock-up intermittently. I aired my pickup down to around 18psi (about as far as I dared do on 35x12.5-18" M/Ts with NON-beadlock wheels) and I was pleasantly surprised how well I was able to get it around the dunes.

(lovely noises from the trans, aye?)

I really liked how the M/Ts worked on my truck vs. A/Ts I had had before. My theory is this: when you have a big enough tire, aired down sufficiently that it'll provide lots of flotation you want a more-aggressive M/T to provide some forward bite or "scooping" more like a paddle tire. If you're running a smaller tire and/or not sufficiently aired down such that you're struggling for flotation you want an A/T, as any digging/scooping will work to sink you more. FWIW my truck is way over 8k lbs and the 35"s floated it well.

-TJ

• Love
Reactions: JCWages and great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I can't lie. I paused the attached vid at least 10 times as the camera panned around this built Z71.

I especially like how they integrated some of the power features with the OEM dash buttons... which takes them to another level. I already had some things of this sort in mind for future projects. Mostly having to do with lights... and obviously aftermarket lockers at some point.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
ARB website link...
As you can see in the link they allegedly have a locker option for the Colorado... however when you click on it there is nothing for sale there. lol

OME (Old Man Emu) suspensions are also available for sale there at the ARB site! They come in a plethora of configurations for tuning. You can keep the stock height, Level the suspension, OR add a mild lift. Tuned for... or without an aftermarket front bumper.

Here are my favorite 3 bumpers so far for the Z71... I like the first two due to their keeping the OEM look. All three seem to keep approach angles decent.

1. MidWest Industries...

2. GoFab

3. Relentless Fabrication... sticks out further. However, adds some great approach angles in front of the tires. Kind of like the ZR2 bumper. (Which would also aid in adding larger tires)

And... here is a VID of a guy who bought the bare metal bumper from Midwest Industries.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

ARB website link...
As you can see in the link they allegedly have a locker option for the Colorado... however when you click on it there is nothing for sale there. lol

OME (Old Man Emu) suspensions are also available for sale there at the ARB site! They come in a plethora of configurations for tuning. You can keep the stock height, Level the suspension, OR add a mild lift. Tuned for... or without an aftermarket front bumper.

Here are my favorite 3 bumpers so far for the Z71... I like the first two due to their keeping the OEM look. All three seem to keep approach angles decent.

1. MidWest Industries...

2. GoFab

3. Relentless Fabrication... sticks out further. However, adds some great approach angles in front of the tires. Kind of like the ZR2 bumper. (Which would also aid in adding larger tires)

And... here is a VID of a guy who bought the bare metal bumper from Midwest Industries.

I plan on the midwest overland one when i got the extra$$$ but til then my winch is on a front reciever hitch. Its not the best but i have not scraped on any approaches yet with it on.
20190629_133953.jpg

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I plan on the midwest overland one when i got the extra$$$ but til then my winch is on a front reciever hitch. Its not the best but i have not scraped on any approaches yet with it on.
View attachment 122036
The receiver mount winch has it's advantages, being able to do a pull from the rear can save your bacon sometimes. I've had the MOI for two years now, it's bullet proof, I have the MOI light bar also, still have full access to the winch controls.
I think these mid size GM's really respond to a tune and gear change, I have the Trifecta tune, more for transmission than power and 4.10's on 32's. This really made the truck much more fun. AEV is coming out with a fender kit to fit 35's, I may do that and run 33's, 35's would need more gear.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The receiver mount winch has it's advantages, being able to do a pull from the rear can save your bacon sometimes. I've had the MOI for two years now, it's bullet proof, I have the MOI light bar also, still have full access to the winch controls.
I think these mid size GM's really respond to a tune and gear change, I have the Trifecta tune, more for transmission than power and 4.10's on 32's. This really made the truck much more fun. AEV is coming out with a fender kit to fit 35's, I may do that and run 33's, 35's would need more gear.
What do you mean a fender kit? Im running 33s on a z71 with 3 inches of lift they dont rub anything on travel, but my tires do hit on full lock side to side since they are wider. If anything we need a long travel suspension, different wheel offset or wheel spacers.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
What do you mean a fender kit? Im running 33s on a z71 with 3 inches of lift they dont rub anything on travel, but my tires do hit on full lock side to side since they are wider. If anything we need a long travel suspension, different wheel offset or wheel spacers.
It's made for the Bison ZR2 and is larger fender flares, inner liners and a templet on cutting sheet metal, 35's and a stock height ZR2, the ZR is 2" higher than the Z71. I run a 5/8" spacer as a level and I get about 1" gain, I do have a winch on the front with light bar and lights, maybe 180-200 lbs total.
A 3" lift on a Z71 should be real close to a ZR2 with a level kit like mine. 32's clear 100% but 33's would rub off road at full deflection, trimmimg the bottom rear of the front fender should clear up the rubbing. Sever youtube vids on the mod. My front wheel well lip is 38 1/2" off the ground at the tire center.
This is with the oem 31's.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have zero rub offroad with 33s i imagine the zr2 shocks are way softer than the z71s, only when im parking and turn the weel all the way to lock do they rub on the frame and then just barely. My bushwhacker flares even take up some of the fender well real estate and tires have never touched em. Its close on the front and rear lower edges of the fenders.
20190420_112254.jpg

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The AEV flares look a lot your setup. I'm running a 255/75/17, tall and skinny.
I run the 285/70/17, (33x11.50x17) milestar patagonia m/t. Someone backed into me soon after i bought my truck in early 2017 and messed up the area on my passenger fender where it meets the bumper i found my snorkel and the fender flares cheaper than a new fender in australia and since the fender wast already damaged no big deal drilling that hole for the snorkel and the flares covered the damage. Then naturally i had to lift it and put larger tires on to match it. Thats how i ended up with a pre bison i didnt know at the time chevy was gonna start making animal names or i wouldnt have badged it as river runner id have named it billy goat or unicorn or antelope etc.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Fuel can

This looks like the one for me! I wonder if it would be able to mount vertically under my bed cover. I will have to take some measurements after I get back from this Alaska trip. I am bringing a new/refurbished helo up to Kodiak right now. A great way to see the country since we are low and slow compared to an airplane. However, I am without the family and sleeping in a hotel every night. Spent last night in Cheyenne, WY and tonight in Oregon.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
And... I am back! What a trip. We got to fly over some seriously AWESOME terrain! Things like volcano mouths, Massive Glacier fields high in the mountains, many pods of whales, etc. It was so cool. I took some pics but won't bore you with them since they are not technically overlanding.

MIDWEST INDUSTRIES bumper thread. This is a thread dedicated to the bumper from a few posts back. It is 9 pages long at the moment with lots of folks (mostly Canyon owners) posting up picks of their installs and modifications. If you take the time to scroll through you can see that some dudes were able to mount up their 12,000lb Smittybilt X20 winches in there without a problem.

I don't have any intention to get a winch. However, it would be a piece of mind to know that I can add one/upgrade later if desired. It would provide excellent space for adding some light into a protected area too. Speaking of lights some guys went that route and did some interesting things as well.

Reactions: Wallygator

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

And... I am back! What a trip. We got to fly over some seriously AWESOME terrain! Things like volcano mouths, Massive Glacier fields high in the mountains, many pods of whales, etc. It was so cool. I took some pics but won't bore you with them since they are not technically overlanding.

MIDWEST INDUSTRIES bumper thread. This is a thread dedicated to the bumper from a few posts back. It is 9 pages long at the moment with lots of folks (mostly Canyon owners) posting up picks of their installs and modifications. If you take the time to scroll through you can see that some dudes were able to mount up their 12,000lb Smittybilt X20 winches in there without a problem.

I don't have any intention to get a winch. However, it would be a piece of mind to know that I can add one/upgrade later if desired. It would provide excellent space for adding some light into a protected area too. Speaking of lights some guys went that route and did some interesting things as well.

Very cool where did you go iceland?

Midwest overland industries told me that out the door they can have my winch bumper to me in 2 weeks max. im still saving up for it but my wife is getting layed off in january so things are up in the air right now . I plan on stuffing a 13k winch in it but a 13k or 12k isnt much larger than a 10k .