2018 Chevy Colorado Z71

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

CG Sahara

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dickson, TN
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Grimes
Lot of Wildpeak owners and almost all love them. My concern is the extra weight, only light tire with a strong sidewall is the Duratrac with Kevlar. I've looked at KO2's and it the weight again. The Kevlar Duratrac's would save almost 40-50 pounds in rotating weight depending on size.
255/70/18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3 weigh 1lb more than the same Duratrac Kevlar....so I don't see the weight savings on my Jeep. I'm thinking you are comparing the higher load rating Wildpeak compared to the Duratrac Kevlar. All things equal tires weigh almost the same.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank VI

Traveler I

Lot of Wildpeak owners and almost all love them. My concern is the extra weight, only light tire with a strong sidewall is the Duratrac with Kevlar. I've looked at KO2's and it the weight again. The Kevlar Duratrac's would save almost 40-50 pounds in rotating weight depending on size.
Wow I didn't realize that there was that much of a weight difference! Un-sprung weight is what will cause shocks to overheat on those higher speed driving trails with endless washboards and such. I will have to keep an eye on that one. Thank you for the heads up!

great08

Rank VI

Traveler I

255/70/18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3 weigh 1lb more than the same Duratrac Kevlar....so I don't see the weight savings on my Jeep. I'm thinking you are comparing the higher load rating Wildpeak compared to the Duratrac Kevlar. All things equal tires weigh almost the same.
Either way I will make sure to pay attention. I am glad you took a look at the different load rating weights. I bet that makes a difference within the plies/building layers.

CG Sahara

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dickson, TN
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Grimes
Either way I will make sure to pay attention. I am glad you took a look at the different load rating weights. I bet that makes a difference within the plies/building layers.
An SL 255/70/18 weighs 42.8 lbs 32.1"
An E LT 275/65/18 weighs 60.1 lbs 32.1"

That's 4ply SL vs 10ply E rating big difference in weight. I have a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara I don't NEED 10ply tires. Neither does my wife's 17 Z71 Colorado. My 2004 Silverado Z71 has 10plys though.

Yes weight makes a big difference and purchasing unnecessarily heavy ply tires for the application will definitely hurt performance.

great08

Rank VI

Traveler I

An SL 255/70/18 weighs 42.8 lbs 32.1"
An E LT 275/65/18 weighs 60.1 lbs 32.1"

That's 4ply SL vs 10ply E rating big difference in weight. I have a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara I don't NEED 10ply tires. Neither does my wife's 17 Z71 Colorado. My 2004 Silverado Z71 has 10plys though.

Yes weight makes a big difference and purchasing unnecessarily heavy ply tires for the application will definitely hurt performance.
I am actually doing a bit of reading up on those tires now. I still have another 30k miles on the current ones since I run high 38psi up front and my mileage has been mostly hwy. The link below is a good read! It is a review done by offroadxtreme.com.

JCWages

Rank VI

Advocate III

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Some tires are pretty tough even in SL form. The SL Wildpeak AT3W is one of them because even though they are listed as only 2ply sidewalls the plys wrap around the bead then turn up and run back up towards the sidewall armor. The SL Wildpeak is closer to a KO2 in Load Range C. Compared to the notoriously weak-walled SL Duratrac the Wildpeak is very off-road worthy. In LT form the Duratrac is fine, however.

For hardcore off-roading in areas with sharp rocks, shale and thorns there's no substitute for a 10ply tire and few AT tires can match the Cooper ST Maxx in puncture protection. Wanna take a guess at what those weight? :)

I love this video. :)

Last edited:

great08

Rank VI

Traveler I

Some tires are pretty tough even in SL form. The SL Wildpeak AT3W is one of them because even though they are listed as only 2ply sidewalls the plys wrap around the bead then turn up and run back up towards the sidewall armor. The SL Wildpeak is closer to a KO2 in Load Range C. Compared to the notoriously weak-walled SL Duratrac the Wildpeak is very off-road worthy. In LT form the Duratrac is fine, however.

For hardcore off-roading in areas with sharp rocks, shale and thorns there's no substitute for a 10ply tire and few AT tires can match the Cooper ST Maxx in puncture protection. Wanna take a guess at what those weight? :)

That was a cool vid!

I just went to the Falken website. It looks like the Wildpeak A/T3W tires come in either 4, 6, 8, or 10 ply configs. So they label the SL tires as a 4 ply. The XL and C rated tires as a 6 ply. D = 8ply, E = 10 ply. If you go down the page and click on the "sizes & specifications" tab it will show everything from weight for that size/ply, to max load, etc.

The downsides of going up too high in ply are ride quality, flex/traction on rocks, deep sand, snow, etc, and heavier weight = harder on the suspension.

Last edited:

CG Sahara

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dickson, TN
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Grimes

Great vid. Tires have always been like oil. Personal preference . I don't do hardcore...worst I do is fire roads and some pass roads out west. I don't plan to do rock crawling....The snow rating for Falkens are spot on here in mid TN they are great in the snow. And as stated before they are better in the mud than the KO2 on my Silverado....so they work for ME... I'll be putting 10ply Falkens on the Silverado when the KO2s wear out....may be awhile don't drive it that much.... remember when you air down....air back up....

Reactions: JCWages

Influencer I

I know right. I thought it was yet another testament vid to the Colorado Durability. Did you ever see the first vid that channel ever put out on the Colorado? He jumped it like 20 to 30 ft and drove it home. lol

EDIT: Here is the vid.

I know right. I thought it was yet another testament vid to the Colorado Durability. Did you ever see the first vid that channel ever put out on the Colorado? He jumped it like 20 to 30 ft and drove it home. lol

EDIT: Here is the vid.

Carlos at 420Motors runs his truck hard and stays on top of maintenance, his super jump was amazing. I was really impressed at what the ZR2's did compared to the Raptors when running high speed in the desert.

Reactions: great08 and JCWages

great08

Rank VI

Traveler I

Rough Country... has 3 pages of things for our trucks

I just went to their website and saw that their 1" is $45 and their 2" is $55. Not Bad!

It says that the 1" will leave about .5" of rake and make room to fit "265/70/17 on factory wheels". That is basically jumping from the 30.6" tall tires that are stock (265/60/17) up to 32.5" tires. Nothing special... but something that though considered small by today's standards... is GIANT by yesteryear's standards.

So then I went out to the parking lot (At work during lunch break now) and used my hand to see what the difference is in upper wheel space front vs rear. It looks like the diamondback cover, tools, tow hitch, recovery hitch, recovery strap, large air pump, tools, etc. I have in there right now have taken away that .5" and the front/rear difference is just around 1".

I will sit on this for a while and will likely make a leap for a 1" @ $45. I like that it says you don't have to break down your strut to install. I would throw in an alignment though afterwards.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

great08

Rank VI

Traveler I

Torture test hill climb of both a ZR2 and a modified Taco.

All I have to say is... I am DEFINATELY getting a locker or torsion up front. Also, I am glad I have the excessive cooling on the transmission now and a much lower 47:1 crawl ratio. The Taco had to shut down due to overheating going up the hill. I wonder if he had it in 4Low.

Still... I may want to do some re-gearing some day. I know it will add stress to the half shafts and rear axles (between the diffs and rear wheels). However, I will allegedly get 1.5 better mpg around town... and the rest of the drivetrain will last much longer due to less stress during acceleration, towing, and off-roading. My commuting days are almost over. Almost time to start stepping up the off-road performance perspectives. Fuel economy won't matter anymore once I start driving 50mi per week instead of 100+ miles per day. lol

Influencer I

That Dirt Nation vid was great, watched that a few days ago. If you go with 4.10's your crawl ratio is 54-1, actually 53.64-1.

The tire manufacturers no longer use "Ply" rating. With the new materials and construction techniques a new "2 ply" may be as strong as a old 6-8 ply.

My oem Duratracs have a rep for soft sidewalls, so far I haven't had any issues when aired down to 14-16 psi. I stopped at my local Discount Tire the other day and they pushed the KO2's, they had the 255/75/17's in stock.

great08

Rank VI

Traveler I

That Dirt Nation vid was great, watched that a few days ago. If you go with 4.10's your crawl ratio is 54-1, actually 53.64-1.

The tire manufacturers no longer use "Ply" rating. With the new materials and construction techniques a new "2 ply" may be as strong as a old 6-8 ply.

My oem Duratracs have a rep for soft sidewalls, so far I haven't had any issues when aired down to 14-16 psi. I stopped at my local Discount Tire the other day and they pushed the KO2's, they had the 255/75/17's in stock.
I will have to read up on those new techniques for building tires you are talking about. I want just enough sidewall strength as to not have issues blowing tires... but as much flex as possible for added grip on rocks and floating/increasing traction in things like deep sand.

Do you happen to know of any good articles on the subject?

great08

Rank VI

Traveler I

Here is a great video of a guy in Australia with his son taking a trip for a few days. He looks to be driving a pretty close to stock Nissan Nivara. He has some decent tires of about stock size, minor protection, OPEN diffs, and a winch. Makes it through some pretty narly stuff on his own. I would say he winched at least 6 to 10 times.

I do like his style of front bumper. Every time I see something like it I have to stare at it for a few minutes. Eye candy! lol
I want a bumper that is something similar. Sitting on the thought for a while...

Influencer I

I will have to read up on those new techniques for building tires you are talking about. I want just enough sidewall strength as to not have issues blowing tires... but as much flex as possible for added grip on rocks and floating/increasing traction in things like deep sand.

Do you happen to know of any good articles on the subject?

Just google the tire size you want and you get a lot of info. Tiresize.com is good place to get specs. I'm looking at 255/75/17 (32") and 255/80/17 (33"), these are not the most popular size so it is some what limited. I'm leaning toward the 33" so I'm limited to Falken and BFG's. The Falken Wildpeaks are probably going to be the choice. It's a 10 ply rated at 52lbs. Can't get the Kevlar Duratracs in that size, 255/75 only, 49lbs and 32".

great08

Rank VI

Traveler I

Moving into my new home now in Elizabeth City, NC. Time to get my own garage back! As well as garden/fruit.

On an acre and less than half the taxes of Virginia. Plus the house is $100k less (even less taxes)... and sits on a full acre!

I will be about a 45min drive to Virginia Beach, Kitty Hawk, and Oregon inlet. Perfect for salt fishing. Lots of inshore fresh and brackish water in between. I love me some beach driving and kayak fishing.

This truck is awesome towing this size of load. Forget it is there at times.

IMG_1218.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks