Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
You want the front Timbrens just touching the LCA to 1/4 clearance, about 1.5-2" on the rear. They come with a single spacer and you can buy or fab more spacers if needed.

After you install them and get some road time disconnect the sway bar links and drive it for awhile. I bet you well really like it without the bar.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
How fast are you driving? Are you racing in the desert? Are you jumping the railroad tracks? Towing/hauling way more than your supposed to be? Ive not hit a bumpstop yet on my truck and im not nice to it in the least bit.
Ya know slowing down on the trails will make things alot smoother and wont cause more washboarding which in turn requires even better suspension parts to keep up speed smoothly on the trail.
Nearly everyone i encounter on trails are trying to drive 50-60 mph for some reason on unkept trails , whats the hurry?
No. On the trails I have always driven nice and slow. The Timbrens would only come in handy when falling off of larger rocks under those conditions.

However, if doing something like the long stretches of gravel crossing Kansas, or the unending stretch's of 55mph dirt roads on the Alaskan hwy... or the paved sections headed north in Alaska that are incredibly sunken/full of whoops due to permafrost thaws/or past earthquakes... these would come in handy. I have seen LOTs of situations to where things like this would come in handy.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
You want the front Timbrens just touching the LCA to 1/4 clearance, about 1.5-2" on the rear. They come with a single spacer and you can buy or fab more spacers if needed.

After you install them and get some road time disconnect the sway bar links and drive it for awhile. I bet you well really like it without the bar.
If I ever end up getting some of these. I will be sure to post up my experiences in this thread.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Update:

My truck now has a Much Better Approach angle!!!

I achieved this by registering my truck in North Carolina... now my taxes are lower... AND I only have a rear license plate. I removed the front license plate holder and gains a good amount of approach angle. lol

I have been getting prepared for lockdown. On a plus note I now have a good quality camping stove that runs off of propane, a pressurized water filtration system, and I got a camping lantern/USB charger made by Ryobi for my +1 system. Which is cool as they make many things that would be useful while out on the trail. I even got the 12V charger and plan to build up a system for camping/offroad.

Here is a great vid on different tire sizes. The best I have seen!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Update:

I achieved this by registering my truck in North Carolina... now my taxes are lower... AND I only have a rear license plate. I removed the front license plate holder and gains a good amount of approach angle. lol

I have been getting prepared for lockdown. On a plus note I now have a good quality camping stove that runs off of propane, a pressurized water filtration system, and I got a camping lantern/USB charger made by Ryobi for my +1 system. Which is cool as they make many things that would be useful while out on the trail. I even got the 12V charger and plan to build up a system for camping/offroad.

Bout time you yanked it off mine broke off a long time ago while offroading i have the warrior products lp holder now on the moi bumper , your next issue will be the brakeover angle which ends up being right at where the front and rear door meet and where your transfer case is( its why the tcase skid was the only skid that came with non zr2s) then if you clear that the rear hitch, the steps and lower edge of the bumper is the problem. If you got the diesel the tailpipe likes to flatten itself coming off ledges, rocks and over big logs too.

GR8WHTE

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Dylan
Last Name
Verrastro
Member #

Update:

Great thread! My Mother lives in Hertford and just bought another place out there, its an old bed and breakfast, the 1812 house. planning on full resto and re open! I live in Southern California and trying to plan a road trip out there and check out some trails! Outer banks looks like it has a lot of cool options ! Any local Mountain trails to go out on?

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Bout time you yanked it off mine broke off a long time ago while offroading i have the warrior products lp holder now on the moi bumper , your next issue will be the brakeover angle which ends up being right at where the front and rear door meet and where your transfer case is( its why the tcase skid was the only skid that came with non zr2s) then if you clear that the rear hitch, the steps and lower edge of the bumper is the problem. If you got the diesel the tailpipe likes to flatten itself coming off ledges, rocks and over big logs too.
Adding more skids is on the list of mods... as well as a few other mods I have had my eyes on. I REALLY want the AEV transmission skid and rear bumper. I would do the trans skid and likely wait to rip the bumper off before replacing it.

I do not have the diesel... but still want to chop the exhaust pipe back a bit.

Just got my Ryobi Hack Saw in the mail the other day actually. It runs off of the 18V+1 battery system as well. I figured it would be nice to bring on the trails as well since I can clear small trees with it and charge the battery as I go. It will also be insanely helpful around the home for all of the brush/young trees I want to clear back and chop up for things like firewood and mushroom logs.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Great thread! My Mother lives in Hertford and just bought another place out there, its an old bed and breakfast, the 1812 house. planning on full resto and re open! I live in Southern California and trying to plan a road trip out there and check out some trails! Outer banks looks like it has a lot of cool options ! Any local Mountain trails to go out on?
Hertford is just around the corner from me. I am new to the area and hardly know anything about it. But I do love it here! It seems like it will be a fishing paradise… fresh, brackish, or salt (inshore and offshore). There is a Harbor Frieght, Lowe's, Tractor Supply, and many other similar stores within 10mins of the house.

I will do a Google search for the 1812 house. Sounds like an awesome plan!!!

There are indeed some local mountain roads. I have been reading up on them but not yet headed out that way to check them out. Even some great YouTube channels from local NC'ers doing both mountain and beach drives. Sad to say... I have not done many trips yet! Driving me nuts to be honest.

JBurg540

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Michigan, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Burgard
Member #

Great thread and info for the Colorado/Canyon! Many thanks to great08 and the others I recognize from the Colorado Fans forums like JCWages.

So far my Z71 CCLB has performed well in out on the Michigan ORV routes. The goal is to head out to the Rockies this summer for some mountain trails.

Since my truck is my DD, I've been setting it up as the "incognito" overlanding rig where all the gear fits under the Diamondback cover.

Truck mods so far:
- Removed Air Dam
- Added OEM Fender Flares
- RC wheel to wheel side steps w/ third bed step (don't do rock crawling...yet)
- Diamondback SE Tonneau cover
- 589 Fab Skid Plate Support Bracket
- 589 Fab Ultimate Rear Shock Skids
- Front Skid Plate, non-ZR2 OEM aluminum, Part #84352135
- AEV Engine, Transmission, Exhaust Crossover, and Transfer Case skid plates
- Peak Suspension Summit Kit w/ Add a Leaf, 550lbs/in, set to 2.7" lift, and diff drop
- Sway Bar drop kit
- Merchant Automotive SS Tie Rod Sleeves
- Unistrut bed rails for equipment mounting
- Sealight S3 LED Headlights (9005 HB, H11 LB) / Fog Lights (5202)

589 Fab is fairly local for me and did an in person pick up, good guys and quality products. The AEV transfer case skid plate will fit CCLB, you just have to use some rivet nuts to anchor it into the side frame (install pics and notes here: AEV Bison parts - thread for info and discussion)

Future plans:
- DV8 887 wheels
- 275/70/R17 tires, probably K02s
- Bed plate for anchoring, use 1/2" Baltic Birch with Tee Nuts for bolts (similar to Goose Gear's base plates)
- Pull Out kitchen / Bed Drawer (see PapaDave's project Tacoma Overland Drawer 2.0)

Cheers!
IMG_20200304_183948.jpgIMG_20200303_080228.jpgIMG_20200329_171645.jpgIMG_20200401_122222.jpg00_All_Plates.jpg20190705_203601.jpg20190705_203537.jpg

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Great thread and info for the Colorado/Canyon! Many thanks to great08 and the others I recognize from the Colorado Fans forums like JCWages.

View attachment 148589

Awesome Build!!! And thank you for the compliment!

Yes there is indeed several folks from the Colorado Fans forum lurking around on here.

I especially am attracted to how you have your spare fuel tank setup!!! (Above pic)

I have been wanting to permanently mount one in the same location... but tucked in behind the fender well. That way... I would never have to remove it. Not when filling OR when using it to fill the main tank of the truck. I would just grab my auto-siphon hose and fill up the truck when needed (Or mower or ATV)

Placing the fuel tank in there would keep it out of the elements (mainly rain) as well as just not be in the way at all. All while making it painless to use too.

What fuel tank and tank bracket are you using?

I like those brackets along the bed sides! I am currently trying to figure out how to have a station setup for my Ryobi 18V +1 system. I may turn the underside of my back seat into a power toolbox/charging station.

EDIT:
I just realized that I have the Tool Boxes installed inside my DiamondBack bed cover. So I would likely need to either re-locate them to the rear half... OR orient the tank into the same position as you have your's in.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army

Yes there is indeed several folks from the Colorado Fans forum lurking around on here.

I especially am attracted to how you have your spare fuel tank setup!!! (Above pic)

I have been wanting to permanently mount one in the same location... but tucked in behind the fender well. That way... I would never have to remove it. Not when filling OR when using it to fill the main tank of the truck. I would just grab my auto-siphon hose and fill up the truck when needed (Or mower or ATV)

Placing the fuel tank in there would keep it out of the elements (mainly rain) as well as just not be in the way at all. All while making it painless to use too.

I like those brackets along the bed sides! I am currently trying to figure out how to have a station setup for my Ryobi 18V +1 system. I may turn the underside of my back seat into a power toolbox/charging station.

EDIT:
I just realized that I have the Tool Boxes installed inside my DiamondBack bed cover. So I would likely need to either re-locate them to the rear half... OR orient the tank into the same position as you have your's in.
Check out a spare tire carrier like from Wilco. You gain departure angle getting the spare out from under the truck, you can add a pair of Jerry cans and even a Hi-Lift to the carrier.
I have the 589Fab shock relocation kit ordered along with OME rear springs and the AEV diff skid, together I should have great departure angle.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Check out a spare tire carrier like from Wilco. You gain departure angle getting the spare out from under the truck, you can add a pair of Jerry cans and even a Hi-Lift to the carrier.
I have the 589Fab shock relocation kit ordered along with OME rear springs and the AEV diff skid, together I should have great departure angle.
Like one of the ones in the following link? They have 5 different options.

Nope. My spare is staying where it is... and out of the way. I use my truck as a truck will never put the tire into the bed... on the roof... or in the way of my rear tailgate. I would rip that thing off within a week and never put it back on the truck. Then... I would not have a spare anymore/when I need it.

Also, I tow a lot. That would be in the way for that as well.

I want a fuel can just above my fuel fill spout... but under my diamondback bed cover. Something out of the way that I would not have to move. Neither when filling.... nor when using it to fill.

JBurg540

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Michigan, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Burgard
Member #

Thanks! The truck is a work in progress like most of us here, getting things when I need them and budget allows.

I used the 20L Jerry Can Holder, usually about $45: or Jerry Can Holder 20L

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Thanks! The truck is a work in progress like most of us here, getting things when I need them and budget allows.

I used the 20L Jerry Can Holder, usually about $45: or Jerry Can Holder 20L
And... thank you! I added it to my cart and then saved for later. Looks like Amazon has a massive amount of options for holding jerry cans... and jerry cans as well. You get what you pay for though and yours looks like it is likely one of the top-notch ones out there.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Like one of the ones in the following link? They have 5 different options.

Nope. My spare is staying where it is... and out of the way. I use my truck as a truck will never put the tire into the bed... on the roof... or in the way of my rear tailgate. I would rip that thing off within a week and never put it back on the truck. Then... I would not have a spare anymore/when I need it.

Also, I tow a lot. That would be in the way for that as well.

I want a fuel can just above my fuel fill spout... but under my diamondback bed cover. Something out of the way that I would not have to move. Neither when filling.... nor when using it to fill.
The Hitchgate opens in a few seconds and swings out of the way. You retain full towing capability. Under truck spare is great if you don't go off road much. They tend to get packed with mud or damaged by rocks. I with you on no roof or bed mount, I've used both in the past and they can be a major pita.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
The Hitchgate opens in a few seconds and swings out of the way. You retain full towing capability. Under truck spare is great if you don't go off road much. They tend to get packed with mud or damaged by rocks. I with you on no roof or bed mount, I've used both in the past and they can be a major pita.
That does indeed look nice on the back of the truck! I will sit on the idea for a while. I assume it would affect tongue weight just a smidge... and thus effect max towing. However, I never ever tow anywhere near max and so it would not matter.

It does look to drastically decrease departure angle. However, it would be the attachment that would be dragging instead of the bumper. So... it would kind of be a type of "protection". lol

That looks like it has a simple hold-open lock-pin. Looks like it would possibly bend on something though. Same for the hold-closed latch.

Two questions...

1) When spinning the hand crank to raise/lower the trailer on/off of the tow ball... Is the tire in the way? It looks like it would at least be close... if not actually in the way.

2) If it is in the way... can you swing the tire out of the way to attach/dis-attach the trailer? As in... will it clear the crank as it swings?

3) Is the bed accessible with a trailer attached to the tow ball?

4) Is the reverse camera lost? That would make hooking up the trailer a pain! As well as turning around off-road and such.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
GM now has an upgrade for the Z71 Colorado!

Looks like they essentially did the same things I did to my Z71.

1) Added the sliders off of the ZR2
2) Replaced the plastic factory skids with the OEM aluminum (ZR2 Style) skids
3) Left the tires the same size but upgraded them (I am waiting for mine to wear out for this one)
4) Put the Raptor style grill on (I didn't and won't do this one. I like my black bowtie too much)

However, they STILL did not remove the air dam!!! lol
I suppose that is easily remedied in about 30mins though... and would be hard to add for folks who want it.

Tow rating and payload remain unaffected. Which is a major plus compared to the ZR2 for some folks.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
That does indeed look nice on the back of the truck! I will sit on the idea for a while. I assume it would affect tongue weight just a smidge... and thus effect max towing. However, I never ever tow anywhere near max and so it would not matter.

It does look to drastically decrease departure angle. However, it would be the attachment that would be dragging instead of the bumper. So... it would kind of be a type of "protection". lol

That looks like it has a simple hold-open lock-pin. Looks like it would possibly bend on something though. Same for the hold-closed latch.

Two questions...

1) When spinning the hand crank to raise/lower the trailer on/off of the tow ball... Is the tire in the way? It looks like it would at least be close... if not actually in the way.

2) If it is in the way... can you swing the tire out of the way to attach/dis-attach the trailer? As in... will it clear the crank as it swings?

3) Is the bed accessible with a trailer attached to the tow ball?

4) Is the reverse camera lost? That would make hooking up the trailer a pain! As well as turning around off-road and such.
You can lock the swing arm at 90*, 180*, it can go more than 180* open depending if you the fuels cans mounted. The hold open pin is very robust, the close pin is 3/8 and not going to break. I've had this for two years now and it's rock solid, no rattle.

About the crank handle, depends on how close to the hitch it is, my tire is about 8" out from the ball. Opening the swing arm depends on how long the tongue is. maybe this pic shows the room avaliable. You block about half the camera view, you can relocate the camera or use the mirrors, I got used to it quickly. You don't give up much departure angle, you extend the receiver hitch about 6" at oem height.

Reactions: JCWages and great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
You can lock the swing arm at 90*, 180*, it can go more than 180* open depending if you the fuels cans mounted. The hold open pin is very robust, the close pin is 3/8 and not going to break. I've had this for two years now and it's rock solid, no rattle.

About the crank handle, depends on how close to the hitch it is, my tire is about 8" out from the ball. Opening the swing arm depends on how long the tongue is. maybe this pic shows the room avaliable. You block about half the camera view, you can relocate the camera or use the mirrors, I got used to it quickly. You don't give up much departure angle, you extend the receiver hitch about 6" at oem height.

Thanks for going through the trouble of adding a angled pic and describing your setup a little better!

It does indeed look like it is pretty darn solid as well. I am sure it would be a great option for a LOT of folks.

I hope everyone is doing well out there during these troubling times. I have been planting a garden and fruit trees like my family's life depends on it! lol

Sadly... it would be a solid 10 years to reach max production for the fruit. The garden would take 3 to 5 years to mature fully. However, I tried planting directly into mushroom compost this time (Composted Horse manure, peat moss, and composted straw). Looks like it will work! Time will tell... However, my seedlings are already showing signs they love it just a few days after planting.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Thanks for going through the trouble of adding a angled pic and describing your setup a little better!

It does indeed look like it is pretty darn solid as well. I am sure it would be a great option for a LOT of folks.

I hope everyone is doing well out there during these troubling times. I have been planting a garden and fruit trees like my family's life depends on it! lol

Sadly... it would be a solid 10 years to reach max production for the fruit. The garden would take 3 to 5 years to mature fully. However, I tried planting directly into mushroom compost this time (Composted Horse manure, peat moss, and composted straw). Looks like it will work! Time will tell... However, my seedlings are already showing signs they love it just a few days after planting.

I planted about 15 semi dwarf fruit tress in 1981, they are in their prime. Trees I planted in 2000/2001 are just starting to have great production. Peach trees are amazing.

• Love