Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Crawl Ratio:

Watched this new crawl ratio vid on TFLTruck this morning. It got me wondering what the ratio is on my truck... and some of the other similar trucks.

Anyways, Here are the numbers for the trucks in the vid... as they were configured. Obviously several brands not included.
Dodge Ram = 48.74
GMC Sierra = 41.14
Nissan Titan = 38.99

And here are Some of the numbers for mid-sized trucks..

2017 - Newer Chevy Colorado with V6 and 8psd Auto (1st Gear 4.62 x xfer 2.72 x diff 3.42) = 42.98 to 1

2017 - Newer Chevy Colorado with V6 and 8psd Auto... and the $950 Nitro Gear Upgrade to 4.56 = 57.30 to 1

Chevy Colorado with the diesel and 6spd Auto = 36.42 to 1 (gobs of tq down low though... so it would be a tractor)

3rd Gen Toyota Tacoma with V6 and 6spd Auto = 36.17 (43.98 for Manual) (oh and there are 5.something gear upgrades as well)

Nissan Frontier with V6 and 5spd Auto = 33.86 to 1 (womp womp) The Manual has 42.33 to 1

Upcoming Ford Ranger with Turbo I4 & 10spd Auto = 47.6 (Also noticed that it too will have the Dana Diffs... like the Colorado and Jeep Wrangler) Pretty impressive Ford.

The Wrangler has a drastically higher # than all of these. 77:1 for the Auto and 84:1 for the Manual Rubicon JL. They are dual solid axles and built for slow crawling through large boulders. It is also common to see guys throw on some 37" or larger tires onto them... which will of course effect the outcome.

Toyota Reference...
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/final-drive-and-crawl-ratio-compare-toyota-mini-trucks-and-new-rubicon.548175/

Nissan Frontier reference...
https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/07/compared-nissan-frontier-vs-titan-midsize-or-fullsize-which-truck-to-buy/

Diesel Colorado reference...
http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/13761/2017-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-review-finally-a-right-sized-off-road-pickup-truck-warrior

Ford Ranger Reference...
https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-ford-ranger-should-put-up-a-strong-off-road-fi-1829949945

Last edited:

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Keeping the Weight Down:

Just saw this YouTube video on things to consider and why we should keep the weight down on our Overland Rigs. I enjoyed it. My truck does have almost twice the payload of a Jeep though. So it is a little less important... but I still plan on packing as light as possible.

Every pound I add to my truck... is another pound of traction my truck will have to gain to climb over every obstacle... or the suspension will have to absorb over every bump.

Atomizer

Rank I

Contributor III

GM has been using electric power steering for years, it's a trouble free system.

till it goes out. Mine went out on my Colorado when rounding a corner. When it fails it takes all your strength to control and or turn the vehicle. It suddenly went back on and I almost flipped the truck as a result.
Turned out that there was a loose connection. Super scary situation. There was also a recall on the 2015’s for the same reason...

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
That is pretty much how I feel about adding complexity to any system. It is just going to have more points of potential failure. In your case it was just a bad connector.

At least I know if the power steering goes out that there is a solid direct link to the gearbox from the steering column. It would be like driving an old Ford Model T @ that point though. But I would be able to get home. I was originally worried that it was entirely electric instead of just electric assist.

That is one of the things I LOVE about the locking diff. on the Z71 actually. Most folks with air lockers have lots of issues on the trails. Folks with E-lockers have problems with them as well but @ a much lower rate. Then you have the 40yr old (estimated) design of the Eaton Auto Locker that GM has been throwing in from the factory for many decades. They are just a few moving parts bathed in heavy weight oil. Pretty darn reliable. They work... they are automatic... no need to change that. I like it.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
That is pretty much how I feel about adding complexity to any system. It is just going to have more points of potential failure. In your case it was just a bad connector.

At least I know if the power steering goes out that there is a solid direct link to the gearbox from the steering column. It would be like driving an old Ford Model T @ that point though. But I would be able to get home. I was originally worried that it was entirely electric instead of just electric assist.

That is one of the things I LOVE about the locking diff. on the Z71 actually. Most folks with air lockers have lots of issues on the trails. Folks with E-lockers have problems with them as well but @ a much lower rate. Then you have the 40yr old (estimated) design of the Eaton Auto Locker that GM has been throwing in from the factory for many decades. They are just a few moving parts bathed in heavy weight oil. Pretty darn reliable. They work... they are automatic... no need to change that. I like it.

Loss of electrical assist is like loss of hydraulic assist in other vehicles. My only issue with the G80 is it needs to have one tire slipping before it engages. With a locker I have both tires providing traction as soon as it turns. I agree about the complexity issue, the more you have the more that can fail.
The front E locker in my truck is the first time I've had this option, it is amazing.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
The front E locker in my truck is the first time I've had this option, it is amazing.
I may very well be throwing one of those into my truck one day! We shall see.

One of my co-workers just got a 4Runner TRD Pro. He is originally from Colorado. Started a text string with him yesterday. Turns out he is VERY interested in doing a trip to one of the trails I listed to him during the texts. He wants to do a trip next Summer once school is out for the kid(Me too). He said he has been on pretty much every trail out in Moab, UT already. So we will discuss what we are most interested in doing/seeing.

The only trails I discussed so far are... the TAT, the WRT out in Moab, the Trans-Georgia Trail, and the Alpine Loop out in Colorado. I can't wait!

I did the WRT, Cinnamon Pass, and Engineer Pass back in the day on a trip on a dual-sport. What a beautiful area.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Last edited:

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Real World Bison Test Run...

This video just came out this morning. I just want to share. Saw both sliders and the front bumper get tagged at least once during this vid.

I really hope the skids are reasonably priced when they become available via aftermarket next month or so!

If nothing else I will be going with the super skidz for the main sections... and AEV skids for the fuel tank & diff. For the sliders I have narrowed it down to either AEV or Old Man Emu... price being the main factor. Not forgetting the shock mount skids since they are cheap insurance and an easy install.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I am officially and OB member now!
Member # 15745

I went to the dealer earlier. Put a new window seal on order for the truck. Someone tried to break into my truck about a month after I bought it. The put a large hold through all of the seals on my Driver door window and a hole through the door frame(just saw that when I pulled the seal back). So I will get some touch up paint too. $50 for the seal plus whatever the paint will cost. I don't want to door frame to rot out in 10 years.

Got a Dealership quote for spray in bedliner. Said it comes with a lifetime warrantee... they would keep the truck for 24hrs so it will cure... and give a loaner vehicle. Then added that they will do any side mods to the spray I wish. I will keep the factory rail caps and get them to removed the plastic attachment hold covers/re-install them afterwards. Was $575 last month when I called(Black Friday Deal). Was $675 today. I may make an appointment sometime soon now that I know they will give me a loaner for they day.

Time to start turning wrenches on the truck. Finally!

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Un-Sprung Weight

Here are a few more vids I just found on controlling weight. However, these are more about un-sprung weight and what it can do to your suspension on a long bumpy road.

So things like larger and heavier tires, or the solid axles most of us have in at least the rear, not airing down/slowing down, or the wrong shocks(for those conditions) can... basically cause things to fail.... especially on those long stretches of bumpy roads we seek.

This is why I opted for the Z71 package on my Colorado actually... or one of anyways. GM throws in basic Nitrogen shocks on the Z71... as in no heat build up issues caused by heavy fluid friction. You will see in the vids... The rear shocks essentially melt/blow up on the two solid axles of the pickups. They have to deal with big truck tires/rims... and the axle/diff weight.

The ZR2 IS hydraulic, But has a massive surface area for cooling... And the crazy valves in it that open to let the fluid flow fast(less friction/heat).

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Un-Sprung Weight

Here are a few more vids I just found on controlling weight. However, these are more about un-sprung weight and what it can do to your suspension on a long bumpy road.

So things like larger and heavier tires, or the solid axles most of us have in at least the rear, not airing down/slowing down, or the wrong shocks(for those conditions) can... basically cause things to fail.... especially on those long stretches of bumpy roads we seek.

This is why I opted for the Z71 package on my Colorado actually... or one of anyways. GM throws in basic Nitrogen shocks on the Z71... as in no heat build up issues caused by heavy fluid friction. You will see in the vids... The rear shocks essentially melt/blow up on the two solid axles of the pickups. They have to deal with big truck tires/rims... and the axle/diff weight.

The ZR2 IS hydraulic, But has a massive surface area for cooling... And the crazy valves in it that open to let the fluid flow fast(less friction/heat).

Nitrogen shocks are still hydraulic, pressurized Nitrogen reduces aeration of the shock fluid. When bubbles in fluid are compressed adiabatically at high pressure, the temperature of the bubbles rises sharply, and the surrounding fluid temperature also rises.

Larger diameter tires not only increase stress on bearings, axles, differentials, they can weigh a lot more, up to 25lbs, than the oem design tire. This effects acceleration and braking.

Some of the early 35" tire guys with the ZR2 that actually go off road are finding the mechanical limits of these mid sized trucks. I'll replace my 31's (30.6") with a 32" (32.4). Just going up a that much adds about 10lbs a tire, it goes from a 4 ply sidewall to a 6 ply. They just came out with a 4:10 gear set for our trucks, perfect for the 32" tire IMHO. Another 1k shot to hell.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
It appears I was taught wrong about Nitrogen shocks. Thank you! So are you saying Nitrogen shocks are able to keep cooler by keeping the bubbles out if the fluid? (Slow learner here lol)

That is more of a weight difference than I realized when jumping up in tire size! Good info. Thank you again.

[emoji106]

EDIT:
I just found a link to read up on shocks for a bit. Looks like Nitrogen shocks keep bubbles from forming in the hydraulic fluid somehow... decreasing fade and heat build up. You were right madcratebuilder!
https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/Pick_The_Right_Shocks.shtml

Last edited:

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Today I replaced the damaged seal on my driver door from the person who decided it looked like a good thing to shove a metal rod through.

I then put on some vent visors. They make it possible to leave the windows cracked during the rain when on the trail to listen out for trail rubs and guide directions. They are also important for those naps during wet weather (when on the road) without the windows fogging over. Not to mention leaving all windows cracked on a hot day without worry of rain. Keeping all items inside about 100deg F cooler.

IMG_0830.JPG

Reactions: BCBrian

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Just went through this thread from the beginning. Looks like you are getting some great use out of your nice rig!

Get some sliders on it before you tear up the rockers!!

This is the truck I'd buy if I was in the market for a truck. Since I have my X for off road I'd probably get a 2WD though.

Sub'd for updates.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Vent visors are the first thing I put on mine, let the heat out in summer and rain in the winter...sorta. I'll say the window and door lock switches are fairly water proof, I get a lot of drips off the vent visor if the window is open to far. Heat in the summer was the big deal for me, it gets hot in the interior. I finally added window tint to the front side glass to match the rest and it helped a lot. The tint also helps with security, makes it difficult to see whats in the truck.

I see you added pin stripping similar to what I did, I put a "Rampart" decal on the side also, 18 months now and holding up very nicely. Looking back I did this the month of ownership, this photo I owned it 3 weeks.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Most of the trucks I have owned were just 2wd with the auto locker in the rear. Nothing wrong with that. Less maintenance, cheaper insurance, better fuel economy, usually higher payload and towing, and do just fine in snow less than 1ft deep (super flat terrain where I live) and flooded roads.

Vent visors go on every vehicle I own. The pin striping was already installed by the dealer along with paint protection that included some white rhino lining along the bottom trim. So well done I didn’t even know it was there until I climbed under the truck to get a feel for the lay of the land. Lol

I want tint up front as well! I like to have privacy while picking my nose... and don’t like thieves either. Lol

Another plus of window tint, especially with a thin strip across the top front... is it is easier to drive without sunglasses. Which increases vision for me.

Thanks for the subscription! I have not yet been on any epic trips. However, the truck has been awesome for daily life for commuting, short camping/road trips with my family of 4, moving, and many trips to the store to build a greenhouse and such.

Last edited:

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Best Trailer Width

Now this is obviously just IMO.

The width of my enclosed cargo trailer is 6' x 12'. It is a V-Nose so it is really around 15' @ the tip of the point.

Anyways, I do not feel the need for tow mirrors at all with my current or prior 1st Gen Colorado while I tow it. It is about the perfect size for a Midsize truck. I just adjust the mirrors down and slightly out when towing so I can see the trailer tire swing when making turns.

It is a single axle that maxes out @ 3500lbs. Which means I can still throw a lot of weight into the bed/cabin of the truck... and it does not struggle one bit. Got around 14.5mpg on the way up to Virginia this past Summer with it maxed out (maybe a little over) and around 1000lbs worth of people/gear in the truck.

Trailers are so handy! This particular one cost me $2k dollars used. It is around 6.5ft tall inside and has built in cabinets from the prior owner. Basically cheaper than a similar sized shed... but made of sheet metal(will last longer)… and is very mobile.

I am thinking about going to Ebay and ordering an RV door to replace the heavy locking door with and to add some RV windows for light. Would not be bad for dry camping during wet weather. You can see in the last pic that there is enough room for sliding my 12.5ft (4 meter) pedal drive fishing kayak in there... and setting up a cot on the side for sleeping. I may do some trips in this thing.

Attachments

Last edited:

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Super Charger

It looks like Edelbrock will soon be offering a super charger for the Chevy Colorado and Camaro (same engine)!

340 Wheel HP = Drastically higher than the stock 308hp @ the flywheel. So it is like throwing in a V8

Just a simple bolt on kit. Awesome. I will never do this but good to see that the market keeps growing at an accelerated pace for my truck!