Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Just found another awesome YouTube video of some guys messing around in Baja. That looks like a fun place to explore!

There are Raptors, ZR2 Colorados, and a modified Tacoma in this video. Every truck looked like they were doing awesome. One of the Raptors popped a few tires and one of the ZR2s was the only truck to get some trail damage. He said he was keeping up with a fast moving/heavily modded old Ford Bronco and the Tacoma. At some point he hit something hard enough to cave in his skid plate so hard that his front drive shaft flexed up and cracked his oil pan! He ended up fixing it with JB wield and kept going the following day.

What I learned... I will likely not get the GM skids. Probably the Super Skidz… though... who knows... it may have done the same thing. lol

Reactions: JCWages

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Post #2

Just did some searching around to learn about the Hot Stamped Boron Steel skid plates that AEV is coming out with soon to put on the Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison (and aftermarket too I assume).

Here are the specks of a differential cover/skid that he covers in the following video...
1/4" Steel skid - Weights 22lbs and takes 28,000 lbs per square inch to bend it
2.5mil Boron Steel skid - Weighs 6lbs and takes... wait for it... 215,000 lbs per square inch to bend it!!!! That is impressive.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Want a SUPER in depth look @ the new Bison ZR2 coming out? Think it will be good for overlanding? Check out this video by Overland Bound YouTube channel interviewing the AEV founder and what all was put into designing the new Bison with GM.

These new Colorado Trucks have had some serious effort put into them! Just the Bison project alone had somewhere around 15million dollars put towards it.

Zillon

Rank II

Enthusiast II

CNJ
First Name
Zack
Last Name
R
What LED upgrades are you running?

I currently work night shift and would like a little more of an edge to see the deer I keep passing in the middle of the night on my 52mi drive home in the dark.

I am watching this LED lights explanation video at the moment...

Website...
https://headlightrevolution.com/vehicles/chevy/colorado/
Diode Dynamics SL1s in the high and low beam positions and Morimoto XB LED projectors for the foglights.

Very very happy with the performance on dark backroads.

If you want even better lighting performance, go with the BajaDesigns pocket kit with the wide/fog lens. My buddy with the blue Z71 in my photos is running those and he said it’s like having two small suns for foglights.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Thanks Zillion! I shall look into them. I want to know what the difference is in lumens.

My Reasoning for Staying Stock:

The following vid is of a guy having CV joint issues while out on the trail. I watch most of his vids. He needs to start carrying spare steering components and CV joints. This is like the 30th time(OK not really that many) his Tacoma has had an issue while out on the trail. Another reason I am leaving mine stock. Usually just has steering alignment issues.

He has custom extended CV joints for his long travel IFS. So when his CV joint broke... he had to buy a new axle and do a major mod for the repair. Spending around $1500 (paying for many hours of labor and multiple CV joints)... not even getting it fixed. This is one of the most modified trucks I have seen. Pretty much the entire truck is an aftermarket upgrade. If I were planning to go to a level like this for long distance overlanding... I would just get a ZR2(or a keeping it stock Z71 in my case). All of the bugs would be worked out and tested. His truck does look sweet though for sure! He even put 5.29 Nitro gears to get more power (which certainly put more strain on the CV joints as well).

After watching this series I am thinking more heavily about gear security as well. He had $7000 worth of camera gear stolen out of his truck at the beginning of his trip in this series. Poor guy!

I do like how the Colorado has the same part #s on both sides of the truck for things like CV joints, rear axles, tie rod ends and their arm links. They are very affordable and I just have to bring one of each with me.

EDIT:

Here is a link to a vid of a lot of folks with stock vehicles enjoying some overlanding. Just throw on some armor and go. I don't plan on even throwing on larger tires. IMO (for now) it will just add tire expense, decrease fuel economy, increase drivetrain wear, and decrease braking capacity (which is bad for towing all around).

Last edited:
Reactions: Fozzy325

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Here is a link to a Colorado LT (Trim level below my Z71) that has a lift with a lot of travel and some larger tires. Seems like the LT would make a wonderful overlanding rig as well. Looked like he had the Auto Locker in the rear in the vid. Just get a Colorado with the factory tow package and it will then come standard. It will have the option code "G80" on the sticker in the glove box for the factory installed Eaton Auto-Locker.

Down in the comment section... saw the OP put this up as his list of mods "Rough Country, Fox, Atlas Spring, Procomp Sport ATs"

Reactions: OverLamb24

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Here is a video list of factory available suspension upgrades you can get for the ZR2!

These are the exact parts used on the Hall race/Baja truck. Nice... but $21k total. Some side items were added in there with Overlanders in mind. Just watch... these are all bolt-on items that can be bought separately.

Neat to see a market growing for this truck!

And... an old video I saw of the actual Hall Racing truck a long time ago. I see the same parts under it!

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
The BDS 4 inch ZR2 lift kit is the economical way to go, 90% cheaper than GMPP, not as much travel. The AVE stuff is interesting, like the skid plates but I already have a set of Supermods. The AVE bumpers and flairs don't do much for me. The Bison is 8k over the ZR2 sticker price. For 8k I would buy the GMPP front axles, steel drive shaft and supermod skids and have 3k left.

I'm trying to make my truck as bullet proof as possible, I have the skids (need diff and fuel), tie rod sleeves, steel drive shaft. Sure wish those GMPP axles had a more reasonable price tag.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
The BDS 4 inch ZR2 lift kit is the economical way to go, 90% cheaper than GMPP, not as much travel. The AVE stuff is interesting, like the skid plates but I already have a set of Supermods. The AVE bumpers and flairs don't do much for me. The Bison is 8k over the ZR2 sticker price. For 8k I would buy the GMPP front axles, steel drive shaft and supermod skids and have 3k left.

I'm trying to make my truck as bullet proof as possible, I have the skids (need diff and fuel), tie rod sleeves, steel drive shaft. Sure wish those GMPP axles had a more reasonable price tag.

The Bison is going to be a $5,800 package actually I believe ($6k).

I am basically looking into just armor for my Z71 to toughen it up some as well. It is pretty naked under there! Once AEV comes out with the price for their skids... then I will either be just buying their fuel tank and diff skid... or the whole lot.

Pretty much decided now to go with just keeping my rear stock bumper. The rear tow package should do a decent job protecting the middle. The side steps are held on with some steel brackets. So if they drag... I should be able to hammer it all back strait... and just replace the plastic cover.

For the front I removed the airdam... and will likely end up with the Midwest Overland Industries heavy steel center bumper/winch mount. It only weights 75lbs and is 1/4" steel.

Then either aluminum or steel skids... and rock sliders. After that... just small bed upgrades and I am done.

I looked into the parts online for these trucks (ZR2 and Z71). The trucks trims have their own seperate parts for everything(based on trim level). But for each truck... it looks like the same part# is for either side of the truck. So one tie rod will fit on either side of the truck. Same for half shafts, rear axle, shocks, tie rod arms, etc. So on a plus note... it will be easy to carry spares!

The parts are very affordable too. Except for a spare ZR2 shock of course. They are like $600 each compared to my $65 - $75 per shock... if I remember correctly.

That ZR2 you have is one mean looking truck! I am just a cheap bastard... need the higher payload/tow ratings... and this is the nicest truck I have ever owned. So I am super happy.

On a plust note... most trucks ride A LOT better with 1000lbs in the bed. Just have to keep the weight centered above the rear axle to keep the front from lifting too high/ getting too light.

Here is a vid of the MOI front bumper...

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I just went to the AEV website and found out that they have a forum!

I found a thread (ok there are currently only about 5 threads) in the Chevy Colorado section. They were talking about when the parts will be available!!!

Starting in January as soon as the Bison goes up for sale. I am assuming that there is going to be a severe backorder for some time since they are not a large company. I wonder how big they ramped production too.

Anyways... they said that all of the Bison parts will bolt right up to Any 2015+ Chevy Colorado. Regardless of cab type, trim level, bed length, etc. So that is good to hear.

Thread...
https://forum.aev-conversions.com/forum/zr2-bison-chevy-colorado/253886-bison-colorado-parts-questions

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Now that would be sweet. Its cool to see other 757 members posting on here.
It does look pretty fun.

It is good to see someone from my area as well! I just moved here this past Spring. Do you know of some areas within a days drive to cut my teeth with my vehicle on?

I want to familiarize myself with my truck a little before taking on some long trips. I plan to do some beach driving/fishing down in the Outer Banks pretty soon. Other than that I have spotted some muddy/abandoned back roads (I think).

I have found some trails out in Western VA in the mountains that look like they might be fun to explore.

Natchez

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Chesapeake, VA, USA
Member #

It is good to see someone from my area as well!

Theres not much for elevation change inside of two hours but there are some fun trails. Croatan National Forest in North Carolina isnt too bad of a drive (zero traffic getting there) and theres some fun trails. Other than that public trails that I know of are forest service roads and the roads within the national forests up in the Blue Ridge Mountains. You can PM me on instagram @2kidscontent or on Facebook @2kidscontent. Im not on here often enough.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Theres not much for elevation change inside of two hours but there are some fun trails. Croatan National Forest in North Carolina isnt too bad of a drive (zero traffic getting there) and theres some fun trails. Other than that public trails that I know of are forest service roads and the roads within the national forests up in the Blue Ridge Mountains. You can PM me on instagram @2kidscontent or on Facebook @2kidscontent. Im not on here often enough.
I will check it out. Thanks!

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
And... A video of the Z71 Colorado and an old K1500 in a jeep park. Lots of flexing and muddy hill climbs. Anyone else think the Colorado is the same size as full size of old?

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Here is a look at my average mileage over the past 4K miles. Not bad considering the mix of things I have been doing and now that cold weather has arrived... airdam removed.

IMG_0765.JPG