2018 Chevy Colorado Z71

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

great08

Rank VI

Traveler I

AEV Chevy Colorado Rims

This is a vid of two ZR2s and a Raptor out having fun off-roading and followed up by taking some scenic high speed off-road most of the way home. The gas ZR2 has on some new AEV rims and said that in the high speed dirt road cruising it was much more stable... and that it was getting him into trouble due to cruising about 15mph faster than normal.

He accidentally jumped his truck, and almost flew off of the side of the road a few times, as well as hitting some rough obstacles too hard. His truck survived for the return trip but he had to get out and inspect it a few times.

I have a feeling that I will one day be wanting to upgrade my shocks so that it will perform better for this type of driving. My stock shocks should be fine @ handling the heat... but will not handle as well @ higher speeds like these guys were doing. However, I am a cheap bastard... so I may just slow down and deal with it. Also, throwing a load into a truck (AKA what overlanders tend to do) has a tendency to settle down the suspension and provide a much cushier ride. I once threw about 1200lbs into the back of my old 1st Gen Colorado. That thing rode like a Cadillac... but somehow had even less lean into corners! I wonder how that worked?

Looks like the ZR2 can take a beating and keep on going after seeing some of those hits.

The high speed dirt track driving starts @ around the 8:30min mark...

Last edited:
Reactions: jplemons

jplemons

Rank III

Contributor I

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

He beats Raptor times all the time with his ZR2, especially when on tighter courses. His times are even better with his new rims. And he punishes that poor thing, lol. But it always seems to take it.

Reactions: great08

Influencer I

He beats Raptor times all the time with his ZR2, especially when on tighter courses. His times are even better with his new rims. And he punishes that poor thing, lol. But it always seems to take it.
The new bead locks allow high speed corners at low tire pressure without debeading the tires. Carlos does the best vids around imho, shows the strong and weak points of the different rigs. I was surprised that the ZR2 competed so well against the Raptors.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank VI

Traveler I

The new bead locks allow high speed corners at low tire pressure without debeading the tires. Carlos does the best vids around imho, shows the strong and weak points of the different rigs. I was surprised that the ZR2 competed so well against the Raptors.
I was surprised too. I am still trying to figure out if it is just driver capability/skill/guts... or the truck. I imagine that driver confidence makes a huge difference.

I know that my confidence would double by... just having a truck that costs half as much! lol

If I had a massive Raptor and a massive payment... I would ease off of the throttle a lot. Which is something that does not show up in a vehicle's specs sheet.

Both trucks are super amazing machines though. It is a good time to be a truck guy! No matter your favorite flavor.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

great08

Rank VI

Traveler I

Those guys had a grand time.
What is really cool is that they did the same test in the same spot in the same conditions with a Raptor... and had to use a winch to get unstuck! Being lighter... and skinnier matters a lot when off road.

Did you know the Raptor is almost as wide as an H1 was? 1/4” skinnier than a H1.

The Tundra didn’t get anywhere near that far though. It needed some tires pretty badly, which makes a massive difference.

JCWages

Rank V

Traveler I

Auburn, CA
Snow is weird. I've gone up a trail and had excellent traction only to come back the same way later in the day to find out that the traction levels have dropped significantly due to some top layer melting. Snow traction can change drastically so it's hard to discredit the Raptor unless they drove both trucks on the same exact trail at the same time taking turns leading. :)

great08

Rank VI

Traveler I

Snow is weird. I've gone up a trail and had excellent traction only to come back the same way later in the day to find out that the traction levels have dropped significantly due to some top layer melting. Snow traction can change drastically so it's hard to discredit the Raptor unless they drove both trucks on the same exact trail at the same time taking turns leading. :)
You are right on that one. The Raptor is a beastly truck no matter how you look at it. I would not mind owning one.

Reactions: JCWages