2018 Chevy Colorado Z71

• HTML tutorial

Red Stick

Rank 0

Contributor I

One very important thing that these reviewers (as well as pretty much every reviewer I have ever seen) left out about the Chevy Colorado is... the benefits of the "Auto" mode in the transfer case. It has hands-down been the #1 useful thing in daily driving. It unlocks the Transfer Case (aka center diff) and allows you to drive in circles on dry pavement without worry. No binding of the drivetrain.

That means that this is a 4x4 system that is actually usable when the pavement is patches of dry and snow/ice. You can turn it on and forget about it. That is what we usually get in my area. Snow... with rapid melting over the next few days... except where shaded by trees.

Binding your drivetrain is very tough on it.

When I turn it on (@ speeds of up to 75mph I might add) I will see my instant fuel economy gauge drop by only about 1mpg with the cruise set to 55 - 60mph. So fuel economy does not drop much when in use.

I know the Taco does not have this feature but the Ranger may. IDK enough about that truck yet.
I have auto 4 wheel drive on my Sierra and it’s great. Like you said , excellent for winter road conditions.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
You would love 4.10 gears. It made a amazing difference in my ZR, I acually got increased gas mileage in town, lost 1-2 on road.
Reply #2 lol

I just remembered that my truck has a Tow/Haul mode for the transmission. Next time I am doing a hill climb in deep sand (that was when it felt like it was bogging down some) I will leave it in 4HI and tap that button to see if it still engages! Just changing the shift points will greatly increase engine tq at the wheels. If that does the trick I will likely leave the gear ratios stock. We shall see.

The one bonus of leaving gear ratios stock is that it decreases the amount of engine power/tq that can be applied to the wheels and axles past the diffs. Decreasing the chance of those snapping out in the trail. Which tends to be the one thing heavy off-roaders tend to snap out in the trail.

I will analyze it over time to figure out what is best for me. For now I commute about 112mi per day and love the hwy fuel economy I am getting. For a V6 4x4 with skids and all it sure is nice to see the instant fuel economy feedback hovering around 30mpg.

If course, however, the rpms are super low and they would not increase very much with a regear either. I think my rpms are around 1300 to 1400 @ 55mph

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Gears well cost 2-3 mpg at hi way speeds. I have 31's oem and want to go with a 33" tire, that kinda cuts the gear change in half.
Does the Z71 have "Off Road Mode" a button in the 4X4 knob?

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Gears well cost 2-3 mpg at hi way speeds. I have 31's oem and want to go with a 33" tire, that kinda cuts the gear change in half.
Does the Z71 have "Off Road Mode" a button in the 4X4 knob?
That is true. I only have what equates to 30.5" tires. If I were to throw on some larger tires I would def. do a re-gear beforehand as well. Then put on whatever sized tire brings the speedometer back into calibration (Or just get it recalibrated).

No. My Z71 does not have a button on the 4x4 knob. Just the 5 selectable drivetrain modes for the transfer case (including neutral).

However, I just realized I also did not disengage Neither Stabilitrac Nor Traction Control! So... that also may have been what was making the drivetrain feel like it was bogging down! lol (I am a little slow sometimes).

I know that the traction control on my old first gen Colorado was super simple. It would electronically retard the engine and shift from say 2nd gear to 3rd or 4th gear when it detected wheel slippage. Which... would obviously make the truck feel like it was bogging down. Geese I am slow.

I suppose I would have given it more thought had it been a hinderance while out there climbing the hill in deep sand. The truck just slowed down slightly and chugged right on up.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Not sure if the Z71 is the same but the ZR allows me to completely disable Stabilitrac. When it's on it acts to reduce throttle when the tires slip. Push Stabilitrac once and it is partially disengaged, push and hold for 12-15 seconds and it is turn off completely.

My "Off Road Mode" changes shift points and reportedly increases low end power. I have not found real good info on just what all it does, just general comments at the GM sites. With the nannies off you can spin the tires at will. The ZR2 front axles are slightly beefier than the Z71 but still the weak point in the front drive. I have gone to a rear steel drive shaft with bigger u-joints and the Dana 46 should hold up OK with 33" tires, I think 35" would be pushing the limits of both diff's.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
That sounds like mine. Press and hold to disengage both traction control and stabilitrack. It will reingage at a certain speed. Put it into 4LOW and all that turns off and stays off.

That “Off Road Mode” button you have sounds like it is just an extra button for the Tow/Haul mode.

I was not aware that button existed on the ZR2. Still learning about the Colorado!

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I just messed around with my 4WD on the way into work. The Tow/Haul button Does engage with 4WD enabled. Next time I am going up a hill with deep sand I will play around with that and disengage the stabilitrack and traction control to see what difference it makes.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
That sounds like mine. Press and hold to disengage both traction control and stabilitrack. It will reingage at a certain speed. Put it into 4LOW and all that turns off and stays off.

That “Off Road Mode” button you have sounds like it is just an extra button for the Tow/Haul mode.

I was not aware that button existed on the ZR2. Still learning about the Colorado!
Sounds like the Z71/ZR2 have the same stabilitrac control. I have tow/haul mode but I really haven't used it much. I need to play around with the descent/auto brake control.
I'm almost at 500 miles since the gear change so I can dump fluid now and start to abuse this thing.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Sounds like the Z71/ZR2 have the same stabilitrac control. I have tow/haul mode but I really haven't used it much. I need to play around with the descent/auto brake control.
I'm almost at 500 miles since the gear change so I can dump fluid now and start to abuse this thing.
Me too. I read up on the Hill Descent Control back when I first bought the truck. I have never tried it out yet though. I bet it would be nice on those super slippery slopes! It will likely only rarely ever get used but it is likely one of those things you are glad you have when you need it. Like a winch.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Here is quick video of a few parts of the White Rim Trail out in Moab, UT. I want to go back there some day. What a beautiful place! The truck doing this trail spent two days out on the trail. Camping, and hiking along the way to make memories.

It looks like a stock Z71 GMC Sierra to me. Did the trail @ a time of year when it was muddy with non-aggressive tires as well. Just threw some camping gear into the back and went. That is all most trails really need.

I did the trail many years ago on a dualsport bike. Did it in about 6 hrs cruising @ high speed and stopping for the views/lunch only.

Some old pics from my old dualsport days...

Somewhere in Arkansas

P5270009.JPG

I believe this was climbing up Cinnamon or Engineer Pass in Colorado (Late July just after the roads opened)
P5310500.JPG

Overlooking Moab, UT with the La Sal mountains in the background over in Colorado

P6020069.JPG

White Rim Trail - Large parts of this trail are on bare white rock on the edge of a canyon rim... aka... where it got it's name
P6040286.JPG

Somewhere in Moab, UT
P6040290.JPG

I can't wait to get out there again!!!

Reactions: dj_mccomas

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Here is an interesting video of "Which trucks are customers most happy with after 3 years? ;(Over the last 15 years)"... and ….. "Which brands received the most awards over the last 15 years?"

As with anything in life... It Depends! lol

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Here is a Great video of some ZR2 Colorado’s and TRD Tacoma’s our on the trail. They were coming across some obstacles Overlanders are likely to come across and having some struggles. After seeing this video I would kind of Absolutely like to get a front locker some day. It appeared to make a massive difference out on the trail. I am also glad I got the sliders. Lol every truck did great.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
This is a dude that set up his Tacoma Sport for Overlanding mostly using CBI products like what I linked to a few posts back. He likes it!

Also he was able to do the White Rim Trail in Moab Without lockers. Murphy’s Hogback section would be hard without a rear locker but he made it!

Reactions: OutsideSeth

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Here is a video of a guy climbing "Murphy's Hogback" on the WWT in his Jeep. It looks like the trail has been made a little more tame since I went up it a long time ago. I remember having to stack rocks up to be able to make it up that last bit at the top. It was a little hairy on a 450lb dual sport... while suffering a mild heat stroke on a Summer day. lol

Be sure to pay attention to the wonderful views in the background of each scene. It is 90 miles of wonder views while enjoying 4wd at the same time.

The last few seconds of the video shows the leftover wreckage of someone who didn't make it to the top and slid over the edge. Not much of that truck left!

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Top 4 Newish Midsized trucks compared. In this video they did a great job comparing price, angles, payload, towing, fuel economy ratings, prices, and got in depth as to what configuration of the new Jeep Glad can tow what weight. It turns out that it can go up in price to over $60k and only the Sport model can tow more than my truck. The Rubicon version drops in tow capacity significantly just like the ZR2 package does.

Colorado ZR2 vs Gladiator Rubicon shootout...
I was watching the Gladiator's pumpkin/diffs in the video. I know the Wrangler uses the same Dana Diffs as the Colorado but with different axle housings coming our of the pumpkin. It looks like the Gladiator may have the same pumpkins as well.

Last edited:

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Mid Sized truck Reliability over 3 years ranked. The trucks in the following links are the 2016 models (3yrs old) ranked from most to least reliable. The Jeep and Ford competition won't be showing up for a few more years on this particular list. Honda should be showing up soon. You can click different years to see which vehicles top the 3yr list on a givin year. Not surprisingly... the longer a vehicle has been around... the better it does. lol

JD Power has several other lists as well for things like re-sale, quality, etc. You can have some fun digging around.

lucky_strike

Rank III

Contributor I

love these trucks....I recently looked at the zr2, the bison and the ford ranger. I realllly wanted the zr2 badly. the only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger was the feedback on lifting and fitting bigger tires on them. everything I have read says the truck just wont fit much larger of tires. that and the 45k price tag....ouch

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
love these trucks....I recently looked at the zr2, the bison and the ford ranger. I realllly wanted the zr2 badly. the only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger was the feedback on lifting and fitting bigger tires on them. everything I have read says the truck just wont fit much larger of tires. that and the 45k price tag....ouch
Level kit fit's 32's, level and minor trim fits 33's. A 4" BDS lift fit's 35's. 35's require gears and puts a lot of stress on drive train, a lead foot could be damaging a few parts. There are several owners with the BDS 4" lift and they are pleased with the performance. There is also a 1.5" body lift if inclined.
The 31" Duratrac's that are on the ZR2 are a really good tire.
I've had my 4.10's for several hundred miles now and I think I'll go with 32" tires, actual 32.4" so it's 1" more ground clearance.

Reactions: jplemons

fs_overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

Mesa, AZ, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Tul
Member #

Nice! I am a huge fan of the Colorado. I really hope the aftermarket runs with it. Seems like a good start to a truck that will hopefully be around for a long time!

lucky_strike

Rank III

Contributor I

Level kit fit's 32's, level and minor trim fits 33's. A 4" BDS lift fit's 35's. 35's require gears and puts a lot of stress on drive train, a lead foot could be damaging a few parts. There are several owners with the BDS 4" lift and they are pleased with the performance. There is also a 1.5" body lift if inclined.
The 31" Duratrac's that are on the ZR2 are a really good tire.
I've had my 4.10's for several hundred miles now and I think I'll go with 32" tires, actual 32.4" so it's 1" more ground clearance.
Good info. I wasn’t aware that anyone was running a 35” tire yet. I’ll have to re-google that and take a deeper look into it.