Rank I

Enthusiast I

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Jossay
Last Name
Jacobo
Member #

Is this specific to the ZR2 or would a Z71 be able to run these sizes as well with minor trimming?

Also, can you define "minor trimming"? Lol

I just put in a 2" leveling kit on my Z71 and I am getting minor running (on the mud flaps it seems) which is 31.6" tires.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Is this specific to the ZR2 or would a Z71 be able to run these sizes as well with minor trimming?

Also, can you define "minor trimming"? Lol

I just put in a 2" leveling kit on my Z71 and I am getting minor running (on the mud flaps it seems) which is 31.6" tires.
A 2" lift on the Z71 puts it at ZR2 level, just doesn't have the additional width. Mud flap take away from tire clearance and it's difficult to move them back. Coloradofans.com has a few threads on trimming the rear of the front wheel wells. Basically you pull the plastic trim, remove part of the pinch weld, trim, heat and bend the plastic then reinstall.

Reactions: jossay and great08

jossay

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Jossay
Last Name
Jacobo
Member #

A 2" lift on the Z71 puts it at ZR2 level, just doesn't have the additional width. Mud flap take away from tire clearance and it's difficult to move them back. Coloradofans.com has a few threads on trimming the rear of the front wheel wells. Basically you pull the plastic trim, remove part of the pinch weld, trim, heat and bend the plastic then reinstall.
Great, thanks for the info.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
The BDS lift for Z71 Colorado trucks is 5.5”. That must be why it is taller than the ZR2 BDS lift. It puts the two trucks on the same level for both clearance and wheels. Pushing the angles on drivetrain components to the same amount as well.

I am on the road without WiFi. Taking a helo across country to Oregon.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Can you elaborate?
I am part of a group that overhauls H60 helicopters for the Coast Guard. We tear them down and strip off the paint to bare metal for inspection (fabricating/replacing anything that needs to be replaced) and then build them back up.... and then fly them to their new unit... which gives us a highly used plane in return.

It is an awesome job!

I am an Avionics guy. At this unit I am also doing a lot of mech work too... which is cool.

The H60 is basically a Blackhawk(Army), or Seahawk (Navy), etc depending on what branch you are in. We get our helos for basically free from the Navy. They will only put a certain amount of hours on them before they are not allowed to fly them anymore. We double to triple the hours doing this process.

Reactions: jplemons

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
White Chevy Colorado doing some tough obstacles @ Anza Borrego!

It is kind of cool t see the Exact same truck I have getting a workout like this. He even has upgraded to black bowties like me but otherwise looks stock.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
The Z71 is very capable, the gas V6 has plenty of power, I think most have the G80 rear locker. You should be able to go just about anyplace my ZR2 goes.
420motors has a bunch of vids with Raptors, ZR2's, Taco's and other rigs, it comes down to the driver in most cases.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
The Z71 is very capable, the gas V6 has plenty of power, I think most have the G80 rear locker. You should be able to go just about anyplace my ZR2 goes.
420motors has a bunch of vids with Raptors, ZR2's, Taco's and other rigs, it comes down to the driver in most cases.
I have definitely noticed that in a lot of the vids I have seen you can have a lineup of the same truck. Some make an obstacle look easy while others get stuck.

Yes. All Z71 trucks have the G80/Eaton Auto Locker. Non-Z71 trucks can still have the auto locker if they have the factory tow package option which adds the actual tow package, a locker, extra cooling, and some wiring to the truck.

I have almost always purchased used vehicles before this one. When purchasing something made by GM I ALWAYS look at the sticker in the glove box. If it has the G80 option code on there... then it has it.

My last few trucks had the auto locker. They were super reliable and pretty darn tough. I did a few doughnuts in a paved parking lot with my old long bed 00' Silverado. It had well over 200k miles on it at the time and the auto locker held up.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Here is a vid on which trucks are most often sold within one year of purchase. Keep in mind... the lower on the list the better. Interesting....

Out of the current midsized pickups the one that placed best was the Ridgeline. Followed up by the Colorado in second place. Then down the list a little ways you have the Tacoma, Canyon, and finally the Frontier in last place.

Last edited:

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Diesel ZR2 Bison vs Gladiator Rubicon

This is a cool vid putting them head to head. Which would you choose based on your needs? (I would still take the Z71 that I paid $32k for but I am a cheap bastard. Lol)

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Just found something new to me on a ZR2 build thread in this forum.

There are now shock skids for both ZR2 and non-ZR2 trucks that Do Not require drilling. I am likely to get some of these!

$134 shipped.... and powder coated.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Two years ago there wasn't much for the Colorado and nothing for the ZR2. We have a lot of support now and it appears that prices are up and not down. I bought one of the first sets of 589 shock skids for $80 i think. I waited a year for 4.10 gears and it was worth the wait. Rumor has it that there is going to be a E-Locker avaliable for the twins soon. I'm about done with mods, still looking at tires, a 32.5 looks like it well fit with out lifting the truck and destroying cv angles.

Reactions: CJP

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Two years ago there wasn't much for the Colorado and nothing for the ZR2. We have a lot of support now and it appears that prices are up and not down. I bought one of the first sets of 589 shock skids for $80 i think. I waited a year for 4.10 gears and it was worth the wait. Rumor has it that there is going to be a E-Locker avaliable for the twins soon. I'm about done with mods, still looking at tires, a 32.5 looks like it well fit with out lifting the truck and destroying cv angles.
That is the first I have heard of an E-locker coming our way. That is def something I would be willing to get! I would take a front locker first before traction boards and a winch any day. (OK maybe some boards/lumber would be #1 since they are cheap. Lol)

The market is def growing fast. Makes me happy too. As long as the products are of quality and I actually need them... then they are usually worth their weight in gold.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
This is a vid of a heavily modified ZR2 with the BDS lift, 4.10 gears, 33” but some 35” tires, and a tuned Diesel engine/transmission. I will subscribe to his channel to get updates.

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

I am part of a group that overhauls H60 helicopters for the Coast Guard. We tear them down and strip off the paint to bare metal for inspection (fabricating/replacing anything that needs to be replaced) and then build them back up.... and then fly them to their new unit... which gives us a highly used plane in return.

It is an awesome job!

I am an Avionics guy. At this unit I am also doing a lot of mech work too... which is cool.

The H60 is basically a Blackhawk(Army), or Seahawk (Navy), etc depending on what branch you are in. We get our helos for basically free from the Navy. They will only put a certain amount of hours on them before they are not allowed to fly them anymore. We double to triple the hours doing this process.
I served for 12 years in the Coast Guard and did a tour at an air station just before we took those on. Ended up being an electrician instead of an airdale.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I served for 12 years in the Coast Guard and did a tour at an air station just before we took those on. Ended up being an electrician instead of an airdale.
Thank you for your service!

I basically do the same thing but on an aircraft. I spent 6yrs in the Army and wish I had spent that time in the Coast Guard. The aviation community in the CG is so small that I see someone... usually several someone’s I know at each unit I go to. It is like a family reunion. Lol

Reactions: jplemons