Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Everyone nerds out on something! Thank guys for the response. I have had older versions of the KO2 and loved them. I am likely to return.

The things I nerd out on are this truck, fishing, gardening, investing, and many more things. A super nerd I guess. Lol

Reactions: JCWages

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Everyone nerds out on something! Thank guys for the response. I have had older versions of the KO2 and loved them. I am likely to return.

The things I nerd out on are this truck, fishing, gardening, investing, and many more things. A super nerd I guess. Lol
+1 for investing! Hasn’t been fun lately with the trade war but in the long run it always works it’s self out. As well as fishing.

Once I’m feeling better after chemo I’m hoping to go up to Ross Lake or Lake Ozette here in Washington and do some boat in camping, and fishing. Pumped!

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
+1 for investing! Hasn’t been fun lately with the trade war but in the long run it always works it’s self out. As well as fishing.

Once I’m feeling better after chemo I’m hoping to go up to Ross Lake or Lake Ozette here in Washington and do some boat in camping, and fishing. Pumped!

Now that sounds fun! A real fishing trip.

I hope your chemo goes well! Some of my friends have had it over the years and it sucked while they were going trough it. However, they had some great success, regained their strength and got back to normal. Fishing and enjoying life!

Reactions: alexdnick

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army

I used to fish Ozette all the time back in the 70's, great place, Used to have to cross one stream on the way in or out, almost a tank trap, not wide but deep.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Hot-Stamped Boron Steel Skids

All of the skids are now available from AEV. Hot stamped Boron Steel is 4x stronger than regular steel.

I now have buyers remorse with my OEM aluminum skids. Their oil pan skid is affordable!!!

Skid options are for (Front skid not there yet) Engine, transmission, Transfer case/fuel pump, fuel tank, and rear diff.

The engine skid is actually the EXACT same shape as the OEM aluminum. So they will work in conjunction with the OEM aluminum skids. How cool is that! They were designed to keep the same crash test ratings.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Glad they are available. That Boron Steel is amazing stuff.

Question for the more informed: Have they used the Boron Steel properties to make the skids lighter, or have they used the same thickness skids as a usual skid plate maker would, making for heavy but SUPER strong skids? If Boron steel if 4x stronger, theoretically these skids could be 4x lighter, but they might also be the same weight/thickness as a typical steel skid. I don't know how scientific an answer we can get but I'm wondering more about AEV's design philosphy/goal with these new skids.

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Glad they are available. That Boron Steel is amazing stuff.

Question for the more informed: Have they used the Boron Steel properties to make the skids lighter, or have they used the same thickness skids as a usual skid plate maker would, making for heavy but SUPER strong skids? If Boron steel if 4x stronger, theoretically these skids could be 4x lighter, but they might also be the same weight/thickness as a typical steel skid. I don't know how scientific an answer we can get but I'm wondering more about AEV's design philosphy/goal with these new skids.
I saw an interview video of them on the Bison... and I actually have your answer. They said in the video that.... the skids will be about 1/2 the weight and 2x stronger.

So they went the double positive route. These steel skids will be 2x stronger than normal Steel skids (Which are already strong) and 1/2 of the weight.

I am trying to remember the name of the YouTube channel that interviewed them but I know I posted the vid in this thread somewhere. It was a channel that does expeditions in Toyota 4Runners, Tacos, and a Tundra. They just recently got a Jeep Gladiator as well.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

CJP

Rank I

Enthusiast I

MI, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
P
I saw an interview video of them on the Bison... and I actually have your answer. They said in the video that.... the skids will be about 1/2 the weight and 2x stronger.

So they went the double positive route. These steel skids will be 2x stronger than normal Steel skids (Which are already strong) and 1/2 of the weight.

I am trying to remember the name of the YouTube channel that interviewed them but I know I posted the vid in this thread somewhere. It was a channel that does expeditions in Toyota 4Runners, Tacos, and a Tundra. They just recently got a Jeep Gladiator as well.
I believe this is the video your referring too!

Last edited:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Chemo sucks! 3.5yrs of it and although I'm happy to still be here I haven't been the same since. Good luck with your treatments and stay strong. Being surrounded by nature is healing.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I stole this pic from the coloradofans forum. There is a thread/discussion about the AEV components. The guy in this pic has a ZR2 and just made the AEV protection upgrade.

I wonder when the bumpers will become available on the AEV website. I know the rear bumper is available through the GM performance parts site.

Also, I found out that if you have a Crew Cab Long Bed Colorado... the Tcase skid does not work. The frame area between the forward side of the fuel tank and the back of the Tcase is longer and it causes things to not work out.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Saw this posted in the Chevy Colorado FB page earlier. Just thought I would share. lol

I thought that was going to end badly but it didn't.

The original style CCSB Z71 Chevy Colorado in action...

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
ARB Air Compressor mounting space in the engine bay...

There is a large area on the aft end of one of the fender wells in my engine bay. It is a pretty large space and I have been wondering if there would be enough room to mount either an air compressor or dual battery in there without need of moving anything. Turns out that there is indeed plenty of room to mount an ARB Twin air compressor. That is good news.

589fab sells a mount for it. Either for the single compressor or the dual compressor.

I am still considering mounting my compressor permanently into the bed of my truck so I don't have to pop the hood to use it... AND it will be much cooler before I start using it... adding to longevity since they build heat during extended use (which we do when refilling 4 large tires back up from 15-20psi).

I am still leaning towards saving that space in the engine bay for either a toolbox or second battery.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Yeah, every time I see that space, I think it would be perfect for a second battery. I ended up getting the portable ARB dual compressor with airtank. Luckily it fits in the wide decked drawer, but I went with the portable one in that I can use it in the trailer or pass it to someone that needs to use it. I can't believe how fast I can air up tires (especially using the inde flat). Not as convenient as having it on-board, which I'm sure I'll end up doing at some point in the future, but for now provides much more options.

I would think about mounting the compressor underneath the bed (high up) and just bringing ports into the bed or making a cool fender panel like in the AEV Bison concept from SEMA.

That would be pretty cool actually. A similar setup that is protected inside the bed but not taking up space. It would def be out if the weather with my bed cover.

On a side note... my house hunting is finally over! I will be about 10 to 15min from work which will free up about 2hrs a day! It will be like having a free day off every week. Lol

That being said... it is a new yard that is a mud hole the size of an acre. So I will be a slave to it for a while. The home will be done in another month though and is way under budget. Which is a good thing!

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Check out this guy's ZR2 mods!

He has a massive infotainment system upgrade and his ARB bed cover raises/turns into a tent. I considered that pop-up pathway but it was expensive and I have a family of 4. AKA I would have to use a ground tent anyways.

The coolest part of his infotainment system is that he can now play video on the dash. Something I would have to jailbreak my phone to do on the stock system.

I wonder if Gaia gps works with what he has??? I have been waiting for it to become compatible with Apple Carplay (they said it is in the works).

Oh... and he has fitted 37" tires for testing.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
Yes... Gaia GPS Does work with the massive display Unit he installed! I asked him and he said yes.

I just went through his vid link and watched his install vid. That unit actually comes with a GPS antenna as well!

EDIT:
Here are some more links. One to the YouTube vid that Pheonix made themselves... and one to their website.

It looks like their Tesla 12.1" vertical screen for the Colorado can come in either software version 7.1 or 8.1 with different prices. They have products for many different vehicles.

Last edited: