Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hamel
Member #

Jeep Wahoo: 2016 Grand Cherokee Laredo

I stumbled upon Jeep Wahoo by accident. Truck Norris, our gas guzzling 2013 XTerra, was a little rough to drive from the flat lands of North Eastern Ohio to our vacation destinations in the mountains. We'd made several, annual road trips out west in the XTerra and it was great off- road, but pavement manners weren't exactly comfortable or forgiving. It also felt a little top heavy when we were off camber in the rocks. I have to say though, I loved the low range transfer case when I used it a few times each year and snow- donuts are a blast in a 2 ton SUV.

I was in a bit of a rut on which direction to go with my next vehicle. Pickup or Crossover... I wanted something that could tow, but I love SUV's. 4Runners are a little out of budget and I didn't really want to buy used. Subarus aren't my thing and, in my opinion, most domestic crossovers are BORING.

I randomly saw an online- advertisement for a holdover 2016 Grand Cherokee Laredo in early 2017 and decided to give it a drive. Two hours later I watched my Night Armor XTerra slowly disappear in the rear view mirror as Stevie Nicks sang the chorus to "Landslide" in my head. I had just purchased my first "Jeep"... an AWD Unibody Crossover. No 2wd option for daily driving, no low- range transfer case, no rear bumper big enough to rest a beer can on and chrome bits shining all over. I regretted the purchase before I turned my first mile... but I did it for many reasons: better gas mileage, improved road experience, more cargo space. After a week of ownership, I realized it was the nicest vehicle I'll probably ever own and I needed to make the most of it.

18 payments later and I'm comfortable in my rig. It's frequently covered in mud and I've even learned how to do donuts in it. Jeep Wahoo and I have become good friends and have decided to take our relationship to the next level.

Build list:

Money spent...er... Mods thus far:
  • PlastiDipped badges and front grill (regrettable rash decision early in the game)
  • DIY Roof Rack (constantly evolving) with the mounts for the things
  • 2.5" OME MD Spring Lift (looks MEATY)
  • General Grabber AT2 265/70 R17 (OEM wheels with a full size spare)
  • Recovery Boards, Cheap Compressor, Hi-Lift Jack (with lift mate), Shovel
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" with Gaia GPS
Items eventually moving to the list above:
  • Front Recovery Points
  • Drawer/ Storage solution
  • Rock Rails
  • Communication Solution
  • Lights, fridge, MORE POWER!!, etc...
  • Skid Plates

radventurer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hamel
Member #

The first thing I did was PlastiDip the badges to make it look “cool”. PlastiDip and dead bugs don’t mix and we have several bug seasons along the shores of Lake Erie. That’s all I care to say about that.

Step 2 was the roof rack. I used a cheap-o Hotel Foxtrot mig welder, an angle grinder, and an old k-mart landscaping cart.

I fabricated roof rails that mounted to the existing hardware using longer bolts sourced from a big box store.

It’s basically 1 1/4” unistrut welded to flat bar brackets lifting it off of a 1” wide steel plate that bolts into existing holes in the roof.

IMG_7279.JPG

Cross bars are 1 1/2” angle iron welded to 1” square tubing. I sprayed everything with bed liner.

IMG_7436.JPG

Here's a picture of everything mocked up before painting. The basket came on the rack and is basically angle iron welded together with expanded steel. It's a temporary solution and does what I need it to do.

IMG_7386.JPG

My welds look like varicose veins, but they hold. The whole project cost me about $100.00. Most everything was lying around the garage. I dig the bed liner, but one day I'll make something a little nicer and powder coat it.

radventurer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hamel
Member #

Last weekend, I made some mounting brackets for the traction boards. I used adjustable clevis pins. Hitch pins will keep everything tight and I have a bike lock to deter an honest thief. They got hit with some bedliner spray too after their photo shoot. Spare tire is too fat to fit in the existing space inside the vehicle, so it's going on the rack as well. I'm working on a ratchet strap contraption that will hold it up there.IMG_7663.JPG IMG_7662.jpg IMG_7665.JPG

Reactions: leonbmx

radventurer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hamel
Member #

It's lifted. The process wasn't fun... but it's done. I measured a 4" net increase in ride height with the tires and the springs. I went with OME 2.5" suspension lift using Medium Duty springs so I could haul more beer back from Colorado. I had to take the front springs and struts to a shop to have them compressed. IMG_7606.JPG IMG_7619.JPG IMG_7605.JPG IMG_7614.JPG