2016 Chevy Colorado Build

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 CCLWB. I built the storage system in the back to house everything. It is actually surprisingly light at about 110lbs empty. I have a Trail Geara light bar in the lower grill, a TG light bar on the roof rack, and some small 8" lights on the sides and in the back. All controlled by a sPod switch system. I have a Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized tent in Olive Green. An ARB 2000 Awning, and ARB onboard Air Compressor. I also have a National Luna split charging system with a Optima Blue top battery. Also a 1000w Xantrex pure sine wave inverter to charge my camera gear. If you have any questions or feedback let me know.

FlexyColorado_InspirationWash.jpg

31928489325_c6f72254c2_o.jpg 31928491125_c851463c7d_o.jpg 30414061102_79381ba951_h.jpg

Attachments

redman333

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Nice truck and setup bud! I like it. I was wondering if anyone would setup the new Colorado or canyon since they seem like nice vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveler I

plans for lift or tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am working with Baja kits right now on a lift kit for it with new leafs Springs, and king shocks all the way around and uniball upper control arms. This should add a bit of lift to the vehicle. As far as tires go, I am pretty much maxed out right now without hacking apart the fenders to clear, so sadly I'm not sure I'm going to go any bigger than the 32" that are on there

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Traveler I

I have a Canyon with the same roof racks and front light. Just installed the light yesterday....whistles like a son of a gun. You have any issues with sound from yours?
The cover from front runner helps a lot, but I found 2 factors help even more. Tilting mine down just a little bit helped get rid of the whistle, and adding these rubber isolators: http://www.trail-gear.com/product/4766/led-light-bar-rubber-isolator#.WNvocTNHaEc
I put 3 of these on my upper light bar, and it only makes noise if there is a strong cross wind

Gravel Travel Canada

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Ouch, that links wants $85 bucks shipping for a $5 part (Canada). I have the cover as well, tried tilting up and down in increments. Like I have a flute up there. Just bought some window trim, I'll try to put pieces of it here and there on the fins...

Sent from my STH100-1 using OB Talk mobile app

Traveler I

Ouch, that links wants $85 bucks shipping for a $5 part (Canada). I have the cover as well, tried tilting up and down in increments. Like I have a flute up there. Just bought some window trim, I'll try to put pieces of it here and there on the fins...

Oh wow, if you're close enough to the American border, it might be cheaper to send it to a UPS store or FedEx store and just pick it up. The main thing is the "cooling fins" in the back vibrate like crazy and that is making all the noise. Put something between those and it will probably solve your problem.

Traveler I

Wow this is fantastic!! Very tasteful with the wood drawers. Although I'd love to see what it looks like with bigger tires :)
Me too, but that would require kind of a lot of clearancing of the inner fender and plastic bits around there. Or get a custom wheel with a different offset to push the tire out... that might help[emoji848]

Gravel Travel Canada

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Oh wow, if you're close enough to the American border, it might be cheaper to send it to a UPS store or FedEx store and just pick it up. The main thing is the "cooling fins" in the back vibrate like crazy and that is making all the noise. Put something between those and it will probably solve your problem.

Thanks for the advice.

I believe your right about tire size. I've tried 1 inch and 1.5 inch spacers, after market wheels with a different offset, a 3 inch lift in the front, a 1.25 inch body lift, grinding the pinch weld, etc and still can only fit 32.5x11 inch wheels. Someday I'll trim, bend, etc the fenders to fit 35's but only after gears are available.

Traveler I

Thanks for the advice.

I believe your right about tire size. I've tried 1 inch and 1.5 inch spacers, after market wheels with a different offset, a 3 inch lift in the front, a 1.25 inch body lift, grinding the pinch weld, etc and still can only fit 32.5x11 inch wheels. Someday I'll trim, bend, etc the fenders to fit 35's but only after gears are available.

Wow!! Your truck looks really good!! Who did the rear bumper? Also, I talked with Nitro gears at SEMA and they said they should have a few gears out by this summer. So hopefully that happens!

Gravel Travel Canada

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Wow!! Your truck looks really good!! Who did the rear bumper? Also, I talked with Nitro gears at SEMA and they said they should have a few gears out by this summer. So hopefully that happens!

A local fabricator made them for me. Good news about gears!

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
Shawn if you ever have any tech questions feel free to contact me. I fortunately am VERY educated on the new colorado platform.
Hi, Cliff here. I have a 2015 Canyon, and I love it. But, I just completed the Mojave Road trip and it was obvious that I need more ground clearance and larger tires. I am still running the stock Wrangler Fortitude HT tires.
So what do you recommend for lifting this truck? I have been looking at the Rough Country 5 inch lift, but, don't know if this is the way to go. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using OB Talk mobile app

15frontier

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Easley, Sc
Member #

Hi, Cliff here. I have a 2015 Canyon, and I love it. But, I just completed the Mojave Road trip and it was obvious that I need more ground clearance and larger tires. I am still running the stock Wrangler Fortitude HT tires.
So what do you recommend for lifting this truck? I have been looking at the Rough Country 5 inch lift, but, don't know if this is the way to go. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using OB Talk mobile app
Ive got a co-worker we installed a bds lift kit. I want to say 5" kit. BDS is super high quality and keeps near factory steering geometry. Matched with coilovers and it even rides better than factory. I tend to steer people away from rough country as they dont seem to do as much r&d, rough country = rough ride alot of times.

I also have a real younger fella who just has a 2" fox coilover set upfront it levels the 4x4 trucks out almost perfect and he has matching rear fox shocks. Rear at stock height think he runs a true 33" tire.

Reactions: SilverShadow

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
yeah, I looked at the BDS lift kit. But, it is $3300. A lot more than the RC at $1000. I know, you get what you pay for, but I just can't justify $3000.