akmedic77

Rank 0

Traveler I

Anchorage, AK
First Name
Levi
Last Name
McLaren
I’m sure that when all the pictures load, I’ll be drooling, because I like what I see so far! Thanks for sharing.

I’m on the North Slope of Alaska, so I have slow internet. No dig on the amount of pictures, haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: Cort

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
742B5DA4-E4E4-4A0C-8A92-34D1B22B4D9B.jpeg C7FBA1A7-DB95-439D-BCD2-2B8250D0A66F.jpeg 3A0B771A-5D8A-4773-82E3-46BF360F04C2.jpeg I’ve been working and camping so I haven’t done much with the truck over the winter.

Yesterday I upgraded my cock[it with the new Built Right dash mount. I was previously using a RAM two ball hard mount. This set up allows me to mount my HAM, cell, gps, GoPro, dash cam, and more. I am very pleased with this system, much cleaner than what I had before.

I grew sick of the snow on my bacflip f1 so I ordered a Leer 100xq for my bed and I’m currently researching roof racks for it. Suggestions are appreciated. I plan on using the rack for canoes, kayaks, bikes, skis, aux lights, etc. I like the K9 system but not sure how I would mount it.

Monday I should be receiving Fox 2.0 coilovers for the front and 2.0 shocks for the rear which should give me a 2” level up front.

I still need to install my Air ride compressor with wireless remote for the rear bags.

Reactions: Lindenwood and Road

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
The Fox 2.0 coilovers arrived and set to 2” of lift along with the 2.0 shocks for the rear. Daystar airbag cups are going in also.

Stock suspension measurements are(from level concrete to top center of wheel well lip:

DF: 36.75”
PF: 36.5”
DR: 39.25”
PR: 39.25”

I’ve been riding with 25lbs of air in the bags to smooth out the ride and the rear sits at 40”.

215E5262-66D7-4372-8B6C-ABF7B9C2DC4B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
It’s snow raining and nasty so I didn’t take any cool guy pics. Coilovers and rear shocks installed. I need to get a front end alignment now. Mounted the compressor, manifold, and lines for the onboard air for the bags as well as the daystar bag cups which where a pain but I can tell they will be worth it. This weekend I’ll run the power to the compressor and do an oil change. Initial feeling is that these puppies are far more rigid but not in a bad way. Much more responsive, the damping is light years better than stock. I’ll be interested to see how these settle.

DF: 39”. Increase of 2.25”
PF: 39”. Increase of 2.5”
DR: 39.5” 40.5” with 25lbs of air
PR: 39.5” 40.5” with 25lbs of air

The increase in the rear is likely due to the thickness of the daystar cups.

12B5D73F-A567-4DCD-B2D9-8FB47125C2DE.jpeg 6FE0AC08-6958-4DF9-B6B7-46FCAC5A4627.jpeg

Reactions: .30 Al

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Very nice! I’m using the same truck but not for the same purpose. I’m nearing retirement from the FD and looking forward to putting all that in the rear view mirror. I’ve Got the Century cap on mine (which is the same as the Leer) and got it with the Thule aero blades.
Great looking ride brother!

Reactions: Dansmach

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Installed the onboard compressor and wireless controller from air ride. I can independently or simultaneously inflate/deflate my rear bags and it will automatically keep each bag at the set PSI. As you can see in the bottom pic the drain on the filter hangs below the frame so I plan on putting a spacer between the bracket and the frame to raise it up a bit. I’ll trim the bolts at the same time. Right now I’m trying to decide on skid plates. RCI seems to be the only game in town. Now to figure out if I want steel or aluminum.

61DF6346-A089-4F44-8739-B93A7FC32177.jpeg 45E05F78-E4A2-4B3E-8FA5-B07BB1F1420B.jpeg 3DA66E86-87CF-4DE9-876E-3E03CB7C8A25.jpeg

akmedic77

Rank 0

Traveler I

Anchorage, AK
First Name
Levi
Last Name
McLaren
...so I ordered a Leer 100xq for my bed and I’m currently researching roof racks for it. Suggestions are appreciated. I plan on using the rack for canoes, kayaks, bikes, skis, aux lights, etc. I like the K9 system but not sure how I would mount it. ..
Did the Leer Dealer give you an option of order it with a rack? Mine came with a Thule rack installed.

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Installed the onboard compressor and wireless controller from air ride. I can independently or simultaneously inflate/deflate my rear bags and it will automatically keep each bag at the set PSI. As you can see in the bottom pic the drain on the filter hangs below the frame so I plan on putting a spacer between the bracket and the frame to raise it up a bit. I’ll trim the bolts at the same time. Right now I’m trying to decide on skid plates. RCI seems to be the only game in town. Now to figure out if I want steel or aluminum.

View attachment 50683 View attachment 50684 View attachment 50685
Both RCI skids for these trucks are too light, but if I was to choose it would be steel because then you can at least easily reinforce them yourself.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Did the Leer Dealer give you an option of order it with a rack? Mine came with a Thule rack installed.
They did but I wanted to research other options out there that might work better. The rails will be installed one i gourd it out.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Both RCI skids for these trucks are too light, but if I was to choose it would be steel because then you can at least easily reinforce them yourself.
Too light as in gauge of material or mounting system? I know of some local fabricators if the RCIs are in fact not good enough.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Your project is awesome! And your work with Team Rubicon is inspiring, I have several friends who have left Incident Command Teams here in CA to go help Team Rubicon and they have nothing but great stuff to say about it. Hope to someday meet you and pick our brain about stuff.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Your project is awesome! And your work with Team Rubicon is inspiring, I have several friends who have left Incident Command Teams here in CA to go help Team Rubicon and they have nothing but great stuff to say about it. Hope to someday meet you and pick our brain about stuff.
Thanks brother! I’ll buy the first round!

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Too light as in gauge of material or mounting system? I know of some local fabricators if the RCIs are in fact not good enough.
Too thin material thickness just over 1/8" steel is not going to support a 7000lb truck very well neither is soft 1/4" 5052 aluminum. I know for my truck I plan on using 1/4" or 5/16" AR plate.

akmedic77

Rank 0

Traveler I

Anchorage, AK
First Name
Levi
Last Name
McLaren
Too thin material thickness just over 1/8" steel is not going to support a 7000lb truck very well neither is soft 1/4" 5052 aluminum. I know for my truck I plan on using 1/4" or 5/16" AR plate.
Aren’t skid plates meant to slide over objects and not support? I know that the some of the Ford Raptor guys are fond of RCI. Aside from that, aren’t they formed/shaped plates which gives them structural rigidity? Most OEM plates, if I recall correctly, are of even thinner material.
I only ask, as I’ve looked at picking up a set of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Yes they are ment to slide off objects but sometimes you have all of the vehicle weight on the skid, or youvey dropped onto it falling off another object or into a hole. They may have some forming to add rigidity but that only can only do so much, but it cant compensate for the material being too thin or too soft. And while I understand these skids dont have heavy duty rock crawling in mind sometimes shit happens and the skids have to take a pretty good hit.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Awesome project!

I am finishing up a Master's in Emergency and Disaster Management right now, with my thesis being focused on promoting emergency management at lower levels. So, seeing you develop a personal rig specifically for response operations is close to home for me right now, and your nods to incident command are icing on the cake :) . Do you have a link so I cohld learn a little more about your job / profession?

Great build!!

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Awesome project!

I am finishing up a Master's in Emergency and Disaster Management right now, with my thesis being focused on promoting emergency management at lower levels. So, seeing you develop a personal rig specifically for response operations is close to home for me right now, and your nods to incident command are icing on the cake :) . Do you have a link so I cohld learn a little more about your job / profession?

Great build!!
Thanks Lindenwood! Www.teamrubiconusa.org. I’ve deployed to 16 or so disasters. I’ve been a general responder up to an incident commander for a type 3 disasters and a type 1 Air Force exercise. Our local SAR team doesn’t have a public webpage for OPSEC/PERSEC but we are certified through the national association for Search and Rescue. Www.nasar.org.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Thanks Lindenwood! Www.teamrubiconusa.org. I’ve deployed to 16 or so disasters. I’ve been a general responder up to an incident commander for a type 3 disasters and a type 1 Air Force exercise. Our local SAR team doesn’t have a public webpage for OPSEC/PERSEC but we are certified through the national association for Search and Rescue. Www.nasar.org.
I am going to read a bit more into it, but expext a modest donation. This is amazing!

Would you have any issue with me using this as a positive example in my thesis?

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I am going to read a bit more into it, but expext a modest donation. This is amazing!

Would you have any issue with me using this as a positive example in my thesis?

Thank you and please do!

If you check out the Team Rubicon You Tube channel there are some good vids there. It’s a killer org. Jake Wood is the CEO and founder, there are some good stories on him online. Outside Magazine did one of the most recent write ups.

Reactions: SeattleBeardo