Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
@Cort Did you ever locate some proper rock sliders? The only ones I can find appear to be the SmittyBilt M1 Rock sliders which bolt to the frame, but appear to use a sandwich like bracket.

I'm still looking, because most "sliders" just bolt to the cab...
I haven’t. I wouldn’t trust a smith built product. I might go to a local fabricator to have something built. Keep me in the loop on your hunt.

Reactions: Billiebob

Lee Mims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Mims
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5STC
I haven’t. I wouldn’t trust a smith built product. I might go to a local fabricator to have something built. Keep me in the loop on your hunt.
Will do, and I agree, not a fan of Smittybilt.

I also would worry that the sandwich style bracket could shear if you were riding your frame rails (which I've done plenty of times in my 4Runner on rocks).

I even looked at RCI Metalworks, who make a nice set of Skids for the f150, and they sell "Heavy Duty Side Steps" but still bolt to the cab, so ....

I'm thinking a custom slider is in my future. If I can discover a decent way to bolt them to the frame without too much hassle and not have to drill a million holes I'll be happy.

Reactions: Cort

TSW9

Rank 0

Traveler I

Utah
Looks Great! Curious on your thoughts on the Shiftpod in terms of durability. I believe I read somewhere that its advertised to be able to be pitched for a continuous 5 years. Shiftpod is more than twice the expense of a reputable heavy canvas tent. Would your evaluation support these claims? Thanks

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Looks Great! Curious on your thoughts on the Shiftpod in terms of durability. I believe I read somewhere that its advertised to be able to be pitched for a continuous 5 years. Shiftpod is more than twice the expense of a reputable heavy canvas tent. Would your evaluation support these claims? Thanks
I don’t think comparing the Shiftpod to a high end canvas tent is a fair comparison similar to comparing it to a roof top tent, all can be great options for people.

Could it last 5 years with non stop use, probabably. The owner sets up tent cities with thousands of these tents at events like burning man or naturals disasters. The insulation on the shiftpod is better than any canvas tent. Another positive is that if you lay against the wall during rain you won’t be soaked like in the canvas I’ve slept in.

Would I buy the Shiftpod again? Absolutely without hesitation. It fits my needs far more than any canvas or rooftop tent. I’d say the biggest drawback is it’s length while folded up so make sure that works for you before purchasing.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
1B9389D5-0236-4092-B7C7-D88A09EE1DD1.jpeg 20679764-9A36-44AD-A317-5235199D3974.jpeg I haven’t done a lot to the truck this winter. Became a single dad, bought a house, all good and for the better.

Perfected the Overland Bar and upgraded to larger tires. I went with Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT LT295/75 R18 which is a hair over 34” in trues size. I have a tiny bit of trimming to do but I’ll get to that once things thaw out a bit.

Super excited to try these on the trail, they do awesome in the snow.(Better than my BFG KO2s)

Brad-150

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Concord, CA, USA
Member #

Hey man! I followed your build link, and it looks great! It seems like you and I have done some of the same or very similar mods, which I guess makes sense based on how limited parts are for the F-150 haha.

I was already going to order the rear seat latch and dash mount from BuiltRight. I really like the location of the dash mount for some Ram Mounts like you have set up for my iPad with nav on it, and a spot for a CB/HAM radio. Those bedside racks were on my radar too, and after seeing them installed on your rig I think I'm gonna have to get those also. I knew this forum was going to be horrible for me lol

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Hey man! I followed your build link, and it looks great! It seems like you and I have done some of the same or very similar mods, which I guess makes sense based on how limited parts are for the F-150 haha.

I was already going to order the rear seat latch and dash mount from BuiltRight. I really like the location of the dash mount for some Ram Mounts like you have set up for my iPad with nav on it, and a spot for a CB/HAM radio. Those bedside racks were on my radar too, and after seeing them installed on your rig I think I'm gonna have to get those also. I knew this forum was going to be horrible for me lol
If you are thinking about doing a bed rug I highly recommend them however if I did it again I would buy the whole beg version including the sides just for a little insulation for cold nights. I’m digging your build so far!

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I was getting a little rubbing at full lock with the new tires so I picked up a portable power pack and spread the crash bars out a little bit. Worked perfectly!

My passenger/front side caliper took a dump so I did new brakes, rotors all around and replaced both front calipers. And with every project comes another, the passenger/front side wheel bearing is bad so that’s getting worked on this week. I almost wonder if the heat from the wheel bearing going bad had anything with the caliper failure.

Also, just in time for summer..... I finally got around to making the window panels out of reflectix. I wasn’t sure if these would really do anything considering I wasn’t addressing the metal bed sides but as I was working on them I could feel the heat reflect off them. I think this is a super easy and effective way to warm up the back of the truck. I’ll mess with the bed walls another time I guess but for now it’s a win. I simply used adhesive backed industrial Velcro to attach to the carpet in the truck cap.1B415E82-1288-4154-BA13-22756B036BA5.jpeg95CC3094-8860-4D57-80A6-217D62DEB52A.jpeg95CC3094-8860-4D57-80A6-217D62DEB52A.jpeg24C92D3D-DB3F-45D7-9089-6559A5FD1CF4.jpegF4B1448B-ED9A-4DD6-9DBD-DC216A147B40.jpeg4F5CEA0B-FDDE-44C1-91A1-3D06A6136E00.jpeg

Attachments

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Finally bit the bullet on a front runner rack for my camper shell. I spent 6 hours yesterday from start to finish removing the Yakima system to assembling and installing the rack, extra slats, bike rack, double Jerry can holder, ladder mount, 40L water tank, spigot and over a dozen ring mounts for their stratchets. I still have alubox mounts, hi lift mount, max track mount and dry bag to go. I’m also going to order an Alucab shadow 270 awning.

The quality of the front runner is very impressive, I am very happy with the investment. This rack is crazy stout and the structure is incredible. B191C9BF-8524-4EEF-AF9D-18B50C2B3F29.jpeg8B8EE67B-D26D-446E-8991-CC297404B9CD.jpegACF4A504-CEA8-4F18-8E18-0627C2563889.jpeg4DD957A8-CBD5-427F-9091-926501A352A8.jpegD691B025-B72A-4C6E-AF29-7FE1F7F57251.jpeg

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I’ve played with the layout of the rack and I think I’ve landed in a good spot. The left and right side hold bike racks. I have 2 spots for my Aluboxes(42L), Double Jerry Can mount, 47L water can with spigot, maxtrax mount on the passenger side, space to hold my shiftpod down the middle or the front runner drybag as seen in the pics. I removed the ladder stand offs as the maxtraxs will do that job just fine. I’m driving it around town looking silly for now to shake things out and make sure nothing comes loose before my first adventure.

I am not a fan of the alubox mounts and I would prefer the EZ Awn versions but they are sold out. I would also prefer a double jerry can holder that will accommodate the Scepter MFCs in the future but these will do for now.

I have ordered an Alucab 270 degree shadow awning and look forward to trying it out soon. This will be mounted on the driver side. I may invest in the walls but want to try the awning as is first. I also hope for good coverage on most of the tailgate as this is where I cook most of the time.

Any feedback or suggestions are always welcome.

930DD830-0024-4B9B-B1BB-78605B78FE99.jpegDE31823A-9A35-41FA-996B-BA45231074CA.jpegF08F834C-8AB6-4E3E-953D-F95416A92F0B.jpegB75E2B0E-C907-470D-8DCF-615C184DDED5.jpegEFC6BFC1-38C0-44ED-8926-DA42B0116008.jpegEEA06BFC-E4A5-4283-9548-3F1B0EC488A3.jpegBA020E37-EBD4-463C-AB74-30BD764C3276.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: ❤️Lovey❤️

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Installed the Alucab Shadow 270 degree awning a few weeks ago and have put it to use a few times. I’m pretty impressed so far. The mounting brackets are really stout, the build quality is pretty great and I like the small details included like the integrated guy lines and aluminized awning material that helps reflect the heat. I expected that to be marketing crap but it actually works. I’ll likely order the wall system in the near future as well. I give this two thumbs up so far.8942A0F1-CEB9-4E64-BEA1-FD79DC7D9427.jpeg76217234-ACA4-4E0C-B870-7AFEE965ECB1.jpegFB0693F6-C0FB-4459-A6EA-E30D04C7FB09.jpeg

ovrit

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

los angeles
First Name
Errol
Last Name
Williams
Member #

like the alu cab looks good just wondering why you chose it, trying to decide between the alu cab and a bundutec for mine

Jackson1881

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Jacckson
Any plans for a winch? I just installed the Swarf Works winch mount. It's marketed for raptors but fits the 2015-2017 F150s with a cut off wheel and about 30 seconds worth of work. I also went with the VR10-S so I modified my RCI front skid plate to improve winch access. This won't be necessary if you shell out the bucks for a zeon. IMG_20190804_134041.jpg

mjherron

Rank V

Member III

Smithville, Missouri, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

Any plans for a winch? I just installed the Swarf Works winch mount. It's marketed for raptors but fits the 2015-2017 F150s with a cut off wheel and about 30 seconds worth of work. I also went with the VR10-S so I modified my RCI front skid plate to improve winch access. This won't be necessary if you shell out the bucks for a zeon. View attachment 110888
Jackson1881, what engine do you have?

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I have the 5.0L V8 however, Swarf Works and others sell intercooler relocation kits for the eco boost.

By the way, customer service from Swarf Works was awesome and the winch mount is stout. Here's a link to the install video.

That’s good to know, I’ll have to look them up. I just don’t want to lose my adaptive cruise and auto parking if possible.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
like the alu cab looks good just wondering why you chose it, trying to decide between the alu cab and a bundutec for mine

I chose the Alucab for a lot of reasons but a huge one is the large, squared off coverage on the rear where I’ll be cooking or making cocktails. The fabric is superior to many other awnings and I believe the hinge and beams are as well.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Cort, very nice setup! Any other plans for your rig and setup? May have to read this thread again from the beginning!

I’d really like some real rock sliders as well as a winch bumper but that’s it. I’m really happy with everything else. Thank you!