Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
This is my daily driver 2015 F150 which I also use for SAR, disaster response, and over landing.

My goal is to keep it stealthily, modular, and quickly adaptable. I want to keep a low profile.

I will not be doing any rock crawling, mud bogging, or pre running so I don't need any extreme mods.

I will be towing multiple trailers such as my 8,000lb travel trailer and 7,000lb disaster response command center. This will require me to compromise on what type of suspension capabilities I will have off road.

I like to have safe power so I have a Livernois tuner with 3 different tunes(87 towing, 91 towing, and 93 performance) along with a stainless down tube, different thermostat, and plugs. Insane power and drive ability increases.

The interior has some simple mods. I installed a rear under seat organizer as well as a Builtright Industries rear seat latch to access some extra storage.

I had great luck with SPOD accessory management on my Jeep so I added the SE system with touchscreen and Bluetooth. This is amazing and also allows me to flash and strobe my lights during call outs. (not legal everywhere so be careful).

I installed Rigid LED lighting, they are top notch and a brand that I can trust. I used their custom bracket to replace the stock fogs with one pair spots and one pair dispersed each pair on their own circuit. I mounted 2x2 scene lights in the front stake pockets and are individually controlled. The rear lights are SRQ2 dispersed. This is an awesome combo. I added smoke covers to the scene lights so they better blend with the truck.

The stock tires stunk in anything beyond good weather or rougher than dirt roads so I went to BFG KO2 tires, wow what a difference!

To keep people from peeking in I added 35% tint all around except the front windshield.

My bed cover is a backflip f1. Pretty awesome and very strong.

I just installed BuiltRight's truck bed system, it's not too bad, I've only populated one of the four panels using quick grips with stainless hardware. I also am testing some homemade cargo bars using untreated 2x8 lumber, quick grips, and some e track brackets/mounts to add modularity to the bed. ill tweak the design and perhaps have a welded up steel or aluminum version eventually. The front section has the perfect space for Jerry cans of gas and water in addition to my solar panels, tripod, or bag chairs, the middle section for cooler, chuck box, etc, and the rear my aluboxes.

One alubox holds my SAR sustainment pack, boots, shirt, paints, and socks and during trips will be clothing. The second holds my tools and recovery gear/bottle jack/jack stand/ratchets straps/etc. instead of a winch I use the larger capacity more power puller with synthetic line.

I am not a fan of RTT set ups so I went with a Shiftpod 2. That stores perfectly under the cargo bars.

I made this checkbox when I was 16 and it has been awesome however it doesn't fit under the bed cover so this winter I will be designing something a bit different.

My next project is to install my Icom ID5100A. The radio will be in my unused glove box, the remote head on the top of the center stack, external speaker mounted near the SPOD screen out of sight, and the mic will be routed through the center console for cable management. My antenna will be on the drivers side fender. In an NMO mount, it's a 40" Comet. Once again, low profile and clean install is key.

I'm currently using RAM suction mounts for my cell and handheld Icom ID51A. Once my mobile ham is installed I will likely add a cellular iPad mini where the handheld currently is.

I have a wireless air ride airbag kit to install for towing, I'll remote mount 2 shraeder valves behind the gas filler door in case the compressor fails.

An ARB compressor is in the future, I will either mount it in the bed or under hood this winter. No tank, just the compressor. Mainly for airing up tires and kids toys.

I have a Yakima rack for my canoe that goes on the roof. I would like to install rails on the bed and find a high end aluminum rack to use as a platform/hardmount point/bike rack. We will see what winter brings.

I doubt I will lift it but I wouldn't mind an extra 2". That would be the most I would want to see so I don't lose the ability to park in structures. I would also like to find some low profile fairly stock looking rock sliders/steps.
IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_9423.JPG

IMG_9390.JPG

IMG_9322.JPG

IMG_9317.JPG

IMG_9321.JPG

IMG_9318.JPG

IMG_9320.JPG

IMG_9316.JPG

52694845179__9A12BEBD-C39B-4900-ABBC-04E626BDB4DC.JPG

IMG_9323.JPG

IMG_9412.JPG

IMG_9410.JPG

52787693596__5482133C-83D8-4E64-9F67-C2A566DBE32B.JPG

IMG_9415.JPG

IMG_9413.JPG

IMG_9416.JPG

IMG_8972.JPG

IMG_8974.JPG

IMG_6499.JPG

IMG_6501.JPG

IMG_6502.JPG

IMG_9418.JPG

IMG_9419.JPG

Last edited:

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Today I installed most of my ICOM ID5100A and antenna. I hard mounted a double ball ram mount in the tray of the upper center stack. One ball to hold the HAM faceplate, the other my cell phone so I can eliminate the suction mounts. I routed the control cable down the stack through a grommet so it looks clean.

On the radio I changed the stock plug to an Anderson power pole for easy swap out. I will eventually pick up a DC power supply and mount an antenna on my home so I can use this as a base station. In my truck the radio will go in the main compartment of my center console.

I have a Comet antenna on a stainless NMO mount and I RTV sealed the cable for extra protection.

The power wire is 10 gauge with a fused Anderson power pole plug running to my SPOD. I could have went right to the battery but I like the circuit protection and battery run down capabilities the SPOD gives and I shouldn't get any additional radio noise.

Tomorrow I'm letting a pro finish the install so I don't destroy my center console, the hand mic will set in a tray by my right leg next to the hard mounted 20w Icom speaker. I'm excited to see how much better this does than my handheld, it will surely be easier to use on the road.

IMG_9430.JPG IMG_9439.JPG IMG_9435.JPG IMG_9433.JPG IMG_9432.JPG

Matt L.

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX
Member #

May I ask where you got the anchors you used to mount the boards to the bed interface plates? I could sure use a set of those.
52787693596__5482133C-83D8-4E64-9F67-C2A566DBE32B.JPG

Reactions: Cort

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Mounted my external speaker and RAM mounts double ball to hold my cell phone and HAM head unit. No more suction cups!

I made a different divider as the 2x10 was just too big and wouldn’t allow my shiftpod to pass under it. I added a full length shovel, rogue tools fire hoe, and my high lift jack. The IFAK will get filled shortly, the other pouch may hold air tools.

The Aluboxes hold my recovery gear and my SAR gear.

I’m planning on installing an ARB compressor but I’m not certain if it will be in the bed or under the hood. 9947F939-EB2F-4588-8FE1-8D37AFB6D8D7.jpeg34CA50EC-B962-4F4D-B6C5-4C8E09DABF37.jpegCD534490-876B-49A5-B582-9081510FA6D1.jpeg9D27BE35-802B-477E-B9B1-FE285CCD083B.jpeg8ECAAC9E-A525-4CD2-A0D4-AA309BD50455.jpeg20A884BC-5C9F-42C5-B952-2BECE7964B81.jpeg1A627BB1-5DB0-45F5-B2DB-0FB900071D14.jpeg478455E5-AFDB-4F83-B5CD-642C766ACB84.jpeg

Attachments

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
This is my daily driver 2015 F150 which I also use for SAR, disaster response, and over landing.

My goal is to keep it stealthily, modular, and quickly adaptable. I want to keep a low profile.

I will not be doing any rock crawling, mud bogging, or pre running so I don't need any extreme mods.

I will be towing multiple trailers such as my 8,000lb travel trailer and 7,000lb disaster response command center. This will require me to compromise on what type of suspension capabilities I will have off road.

I like to have safe power so I have a Livernois tuner with 3 different tunes(87 towing, 91 towing, and 93 performance) along with a stainless down tube, different thermostat, and plugs. Insane power and drive ability increases.

The interior has some simple mods. I installed a rear under seat organizer as well as a Builtright Industries rear seat latch to access some extra storage.

I had great luck with SPOD accessory management on my Jeep so I added the SE system with touchscreen and Bluetooth. This is amazing and also allows me to flash and strobe my lights during call outs. (not legal everywhere so be careful).

I installed Rigid LED lighting, they are top notch and a brand that I can trust. I used their custom bracket to replace the stock fogs with one pair spots and one pair dispersed each pair on their own circuit. I mounted 2x2 scene lights in the front stake pockets and are individually controlled. The rear lights are SRQ2 dispersed. This is an awesome combo. I added smoke covers to the scene lights so they better blend with the truck.

The stock tires stunk in anything beyond good weather or rougher than dirt roads so I went to BFG KO2 tires, wow what a difference!

To keep people from peeking in I added 35% tint all around except the front windshield.

My bed cover is a backflip f1. Pretty awesome and very strong.

I just installed BuiltRight's truck bed system, it's not too bad, I've only populated one of the four panels using quick grips with stainless hardware. I also am testing some homemade cargo bars using untreated 2x8 lumber, quick grips, and some e track brackets/mounts to add modularity to the bed. ill tweak the design and perhaps have a welded up steel or aluminum version eventually. The front section has the perfect space for Jerry cans of gas and water in addition to my solar panels, tripod, or bag chairs, the middle section for cooler, chuck box, etc, and the rear my aluboxes.

One alubox holds my SAR sustainment pack, boots, shirt, paints, and socks and during trips will be clothing. The second holds my tools and recovery gear/bottle jack/jack stand/ratchets straps/etc. instead of a winch I use the larger capacity more power puller with synthetic line.

I am not a fan of RTT set ups so I went with a Shiftpod 2. That stores perfectly under the cargo bars.

I made this checkbox when I was 16 and it has been awesome however it doesn't fit under the bed cover so this winter I will be designing something a bit different.

My next project is to install my Icom ID5100A. The radio will be in my unused glove box, the remote head on the top of the center stack, external speaker mounted near the SPOD screen out of sight, and the mic will be routed through the center console for cable management. My antenna will be on the drivers side fender. In an NMO mount, it's a 40" Comet. Once again, low profile and clean install is key.

I'm currently using RAM suction mounts for my cell and handheld Icom ID51A. Once my mobile ham is installed I will likely add a cellular iPad mini where the handheld currently is.

I have a wireless air ride airbag kit to install for towing, I'll remote mount 2 shraeder valves behind the gas filler door in case the compressor fails.

An ARB compressor is in the future, I will either mount it in the bed or under hood this winter. No tank, just the compressor. Mainly for airing up tires and kids toys.

I have a Yakima rack for my canoe that goes on the roof. I would like to install rails on the bed and find a high end aluminum rack to use as a platform/hardmount point/bike rack. We will see what winter brings.

I doubt I will lift it but I wouldn't mind an extra 2". That would be the most I would want to see so I don't lose the ability to park in structures. I would also like to find some low profile fairly stock looking rock sliders/steps.
View attachment 35220

View attachment 35222

View attachment 35223

View attachment 35224

View attachment 35225

View attachment 35226

View attachment 35227

View attachment 35228

View attachment 35229

View attachment 35230

View attachment 35231

View attachment 35232

View attachment 35233

View attachment 35234

View attachment 35235

View attachment 35236

View attachment 35237

View attachment 35239

View attachment 35241

View attachment 35242

View attachment 35243

View attachment 35244

View attachment 35245

View attachment 35246
Love the camp kitchen box. We made something similar to this in my Boy Scout Troop years ago.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I dig it! And the Coleman stove and lantern. I have an old duel fuel from 1971 and a milspec 252 lantern from 1963. The stove works great! The lantern is in pieces getting rebuilt.
That’s awesome! I am all for tech and new gadgets but this lantern and stove works every single time with close to zero maintenance. Show that lantern off when it’s rebuilt!

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
That’s awesome! I am all for tech and new gadgets but this lantern and stove works every single time with close to zero maintenance. Show that lantern off when it’s rebuilt!
I believe my stove is the 242E. Works like a charm. Managed to snag another lantern for dirt cheap. It's a 220F from '66!

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
IMG_9814.jpg IMG_9819.jpg IMG_9818.jpg IMG_9817.jpg I put together an on board air set up. I used a fat .50 ammo can that I cleaned the stencil off with acetone, and ARB compressor, compressor kit, 10 gauge wire, alligator clips, and Anderson power pole connectors.

I don't have room under my hood and I don't want to mount it in the cab or bed. This set up allows me to connect to any 12 volt battery with the 12' extension cable I made. I can easily change ends with the Anderson power pole connectors at each end. I didn't need to use any of the ARB wiring harness. I bolted the compressor to the bottom of the can using two carriage bolts in the recessed area of the bottom of the can so it's not wobbly. The pressure switch cuts off the compressor at 120 psi so it's not constantly running. Simple and effective.

kickkem

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Independence, MO
Member #

Today I installed most of my ICOM ID5100A and antenna. I hard mounted a double ball ram mount in the tray of the upper center stack. One ball to hold the HAM faceplate, the other my cell phone so I can eliminate the suction mounts. I routed the control cable down the stack through a grommet so it looks clean.

On the radio I changed the stock plug to an Anderson power pole for easy swap out. I will eventually pick up a DC power supply and mount an antenna on my home so I can use this as a base station. In my truck the radio will go in the main compartment of my center console.

I have a Comet antenna on a stainless NMO mount and I RTV sealed the cable for extra protection.

The power wire is 10 gauge with a fused Anderson power pole plug running to my SPOD. I could have went right to the battery but I like the circuit protection and battery run down capabilities the SPOD gives and I shouldn't get any additional radio noise.

Tomorrow I'm letting a pro finish the install so I don't destroy my center console, the hand mic will set in a tray by my right leg next to the hard mounted 20w Icom speaker. I'm excited to see how much better this does than my handheld, it will surely be easier to use on the road.

View attachment 35450 View attachment 35451 View attachment 35452 View attachment 35453 View attachment 35454

Love the work you have done on this rig! Really like the antenna mount, need to find one for my Dodge!

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign