Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Growing up in the mountains here in Montana, I was always into camping, hiking, skiing, biking, pretty much anything to get outside. I always have enjoyed camping and exploring the backroads, but had never really known too much about overlanding or overlanding vehicles until a few years ago. When I decided to replace my old truck a couple of years ago, I knew I wanted to get something that would work for what I envisioned for my overland base camp. I looked at the Tacomas, but they just didn't seem like the right fit. In the end I went for the extra room, both in the cab and in the bed, of a full size. Brought home a gently used 2013 Silverado 1500 in early 2015 and hence, "The Raven" was born.

My goal with this build is to put together a capable off-road truck that is still comfortable as a daily driver.

Current Mods:
ARE Z series topper
Front Runner slimline roof rack
CVT awning
Custom gear organization in the bed
Sleeping/storage platform
King Shocks on all 4 corners - OEM replacements with external reservoirs, adjusted to level the front
Ultra Phantom wheels
BFG KO2s (275/70 R18)
Rigid dually lights for the front bumper - 2 spots, 2 floods, and 2 amber floods
S&B Cold Air Intake

Planned Mods: Im sure more will be added to this list, but here's whats on the radar right now:
Dual battery system
Solar panel set up to battery system
Front bumper - probably will go the custom route here
Rear bumper - haven't completely decided, but right now am leaning towards the mazzula bumper
Mazzula mid travel kit
Mazzula shackles and hangers with replacement springs
Exhaust system, set up for cut/high clearance bedsides and bumper
Fridge/freezer

Potential Mods:
Electronic lockers front and rear
Re-gear for 35s
35s with fiberglass fenders
Rock sliders

Last edited:

UnderPressure

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Okc
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Brooks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5YRP
Sick rig name.
Great pics!

OB 1864

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Thanks everyone! It's been a great rig so far. The topper may not be quite as roomy as some other options, but I really like the ease of camping out of it.

Hows the pods work for you? I have a 24 inch bar but was wanting something for more distance
So far I like them. In terms of distance, the way they're set up right now they are definitely aimed a little low. I haven't had the time/opportunity to really dial them in for my tastes yet unfortunately. They are really bright however, definitely gave me the added light I was looking for. I havent used one of the light bars so I can't speak for a direct comparison, though I like the way the look on the bumper and the flexibility to add or change them as I go.

Hoping to get the spots failed in here soon, I'll try to post up a few pics of the light pattern when I do!

Reactions: roamingram44

MLW4341

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Saint Johns, Florida, United States
First Name
Monique
Last Name
Wallace
Member #

Service Branch
Marine Corps
Love the rig. I also have a full sized Chevy and am considering getting a topper. Would make everything easier when going out with my kids.

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Love the rig. I also have a full sized Chevy and am considering getting a topper. Would make everything easier when going out with my kids.
Thanks! Really have been enjoying mine. The topper is great too, nice to have a protected space to store stuff. Also really great for stealth camping!

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Had been noticing that the battery was starting to go out, so I decided it was time for a little upgrade. Picked up an Optima red top and got it installed tonight. Getting to the battery is definitely a PITA in these trucks, this was the first time I had replaced the battery in one of them and it definitely took some finagling to get everything situated. Got it all back together though and she starts right up, definitely notice the difference over the old dying stock battery...

Here are a couple pictures of the bed storage I put together:

Passenger side, shovel and fire extinguisher mounted on quick release holders. Jerry can for water when I'm out camping.

Driver side, ax/Pulaski mounted on quick release brackets, CO2 canister for airing back up, and spare fuel, just in case...

The next project currently in the works is the sleeping/storage set up

My helper, not very good with the tools, but he has the posing part down...

Got most of the supports in, need to figure out a few more pieces then the deck goes on. The cross supports and the deck are not going to be bolted on so I can pull it out quickly if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: ASNOBODY and Conroe

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Finally got the sleeping and storage platform in the bed of the Raven functional. Need to clean up a few edges and figure out exactly how I want to organize gear underneath, but I went out and tested it last weekend and it worked great! Was hoping to get down to Utah for the weekend, but unfortunately life didn't allow that. Stayed locally instead and had a great weekend in the closest we have to the desert around here.

Right now I have the spare tire under the platform in the back. I got a couple of front runner boxes for recovery gear and food storage. They've been working great so far, so I think Ill get a third for my kitchen supplies. Got a couple of front runner chairs to slip under the platform, and everything fit in great with plenty of room for some more additions. Also got an LED rope installed in the topper, so the camping portion of the build is starting to take shape!

Johnnys Trip

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Great looking rig, you can never go wrong with a black Chevy. What is the weight capacity of the platform on top of the topper? I have been looking into something along the lines for my 2010 Silverado. For now I plan to leave the back uncovered and picked up a Kodiak Canvas truck bed tent for it. I am going to build a custom low profile platform in the bed. This way I can bolt down some extra tie in points, quick releases for the bikes and slide a folding table under it. Thanks for sharing your build it has inspired me to get moving on mine.

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Great looking rig, you can never go wrong with a black Chevy. What is the weight capacity of the platform on top of the topper? I have been looking into something along the lines for my 2010 Silverado. For now I plan to leave the back uncovered and picked up a Kodiak Canvas truck bed tent for it. I am going to build a custom low profile platform in the bed. This way I can bolt down some extra tie in points, quick releases for the bikes and slide a folding table under it. Thanks for sharing your build it has inspired me to get moving on mine.
Thanks! Definitely glad I went that route. Frontrunner rates the rack at 660 lbs, though of course that is only as good as the weight capacity of whatever its mounted to. I forget what the rating on the topper is. I don't intend to put that much weight up there, never have been a fan of putting a lot up high on a rack... Glad to give some inspiration, Ive gotten plenty around here myself!

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Great looking Silverado sir. I think our trucks must be cousins, haha.
Haha thanks, they are looking pretty related... Going to be keeping an eye on how your build evolves, always looking for more ideas, not that I need any more though!

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Not a whole lot has happened on the build recently, been busy with work, traveling in Scotland, and getting out in the mountains. Right now trying to decide what I want to do with the dual battery/solar panel set up. So many options, not really in my experience either...

Finally did get my badges on though, I mean you have to do the important stuff first, right?

Had a good trip into the mountains over memorial day weekend. Wasn't the trip we had originally planned, but had a perfect camp spot, some great food, friends, and relaxation. The highlight was getting treated to a nice show from the northern lights!

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Also have about decided to pull the trigger on a set of MaxTrax. Thinking about the tan, but black would match pretty well... Any opinions?

Reactions: 805RADO

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Great looking rig. How are you liking that awning?
I really like it, so far it's been perfect for what I wanted. It's a breeze to set up compared to my old tarp rigging days, and is pretty sturdy in the wind. I don't stake it out unless I am expecting some decent wind... It is maybe a little smaller than I'd like, but no surprise considering I wanted something compact and over the tailgate. I cook off the tailgate, and getting in and out I wanted the awning over the back as opposed to the side.

Haven't put it through the wringer enough to really say, but zero durability issues in the year or so I've had it!

I am planning on looking into getting a couple of wall pieces made locally for it. I didn't get the wall set up CVT offers as it was way more than I wanted. I don't think 4 walls, even with a door, would work with the tailgate set up, and I want the option of only having 1 or 2 walls up as wind/rain blocks and the rest open.