• HTML tutorial

Roverlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stockholm
Member #

Hi all!
I'm new here on the forums and would like to share our build and get your feedback.

We are leaving in a couple of weeks for a 3 month overland trip around Europe.
The object is to have a capable overland vehicle that sleeps 4 adults and still has 5 seats. A bit of a challenge, right? We will start by getting it ready for me, my wife, our 7m old son and our dog with the Alu-Cab Icarus rooftop conversion but will try to get an extra bed with the Hesch Interior asap.

So the base vehicle is a 2011 Land Rover Defender Rough Edition that has about 54.000km on it (i guess thats about 33.000 miles??). Its running on General Grabber AT2.

Right now we plan on adding the following.
- Alu-Cab Icarus roof top conversion
- Alu-Cab 270 Awning
- IBS Dual battery system
- Webasto Airtop 2000 + High altitude kit
- Snomaster BD/C-82D Fridge/Freezer
- Safari Snorkel
- Snow Cowl
- GMB Floor safe
- Front runner roof rack
- LED Bar
- Some type of water system (might just be portable jerry cans)
- Ashcroft MT82 Output shaft
- Maxtrax
- Snow chains
- Hi Lift Jack
- Hi Lift Handle-all
- Primus Atle 2 propane stove
- Trasharoo

Later we plan on adding:
- Hesch Outback interior for storage and an extra bed
- Hesch Backdoor kitchenboard
- Warn Zeon 10-s Platinum and a Winchbumper that is approved in Sweden
- Solar Panels and regulator
- Diff guards
- 230v inverter
- HD Shocks and springs
- Auxillary fuel tank

We are getting most of the work done in Hamburg at Offroad Manufaktur in a couple of weeks so I will keep you posted here (or you can follow us on instagram @roverlanders or roverlanders.com. In the meantime i would really love to get your opinions on this build Any substitutes you would advise? What have we missed?

Cheers!
Anders

Last edited by a moderator:

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
@Roverlanders This will be an awesome build, Please keep us posted of the progress. And if I didn't say it yet i'm DEFENDERJEALOUS
Enjoy!!!!!!!
And a very big WELCOME to the group!!!!

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Well, you are already starting with one of the coolest and most iconic vehicles in history, so I'd say you are off to a good start. I'm looking forward to seeing it all decked out.

Roverlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stockholm
Member #

Hi guys!
Hope you are having a great weekend!
Just thought i'd update you on the build as some rather big pieces are in place.

Added:
- Alu-cab Icarus pop top
- Alu-cab 270 shadow awn
- 7" JW Speakers LED headlights

I think it looks great and I'm so excited taking it out of the shop next. Just need to fit the IBS battery system , the webasto airtop and do some other electrical stuff

Sorry for being a bit slow with the updates. Follow us on instagram.com/roverlanders to see the action straight away.

Cheers!

erinw.rrc

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Clara. CA
Member #

So jealous! And sad that the US has prohibited import on the newer model years due to safety regulations. It just jacked the price up all around because they are very desirable. Some day in my dreams...

Reactions: Roverlanders

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

Absolute beauty. I keep having the defender itch and have so far stopped myself from getting one. Builds like this make me want one. If you get to the UK as part of your euro tour and are passing the midlands area, then feel free to contact me and we can meet up for a coffee so I can drool over your rig. :grinning:

Reactions: Roverlanders

Roverlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stockholm
Member #

Hi guys! Thank you for all the comments!
I completely forgot about this thread when we got on the road.
We traveled for about three months through Europe and everything worked like a charm.

Been back in Stockholm for a couple of months and just sent the Defender of to SafariTec in Norway to get fitted for a used custom interior, water tank and some additional lights. Then it hit me, that I forgot about this thread.. SORRY! :)

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

Great 110, I love the Icarus pop top. I have been considering what we do in the future as sleeping on the ground is becoming more and more difficult, my poor old bones. I would love to hear how easy the pop top is to live in over an extended trip.

Roverlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stockholm
Member #

Great 110, I love the Icarus pop top. I have been considering what we do in the future as sleeping on the ground is becoming more and more difficult, my poor old bones. I would love to hear how easy the pop top is to live in over an extended trip.
It's absolutely great and even more comfortable if you have a nice heater in the car. For us, thats one of the greatest advantages compared too a RTT, being able to get extra heating to the sleeping area. Setup and take down is really easy and quick (up in 30 sek and down in 1-2 minutes). What i like with the Icarus compared to other brands of pop tops for the defender is that the bedding can be pushed up on gas struts giving you a lot of room for cooking/changing clothes. In many of the others the bed is made up of sections that can be lifted and pushed a side.

We are now putting in an interior that gives us a lot of storage and room to drive and sleep 4 adults, which will be amazing!

Attachments

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

Great pictures, your Defender is so shiny, my 110 is scratched and dented. But I still want a pop top like that. Where did you go, we had 3 weeks around the Black Forest, Tyrol and Alps last summer.

somerset-andy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Middlezoy, UK
Member #

It sounds just right for the two of us. Our Defender is a 3 door hard top so storage isn't such an issue for us but something to use all year around and sleep in comfort would be just great.

Roverlanders

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stockholm
Member #

Thats a nice area to spend some time in!

We went down through Germany, took the Romantische Strasse to Neuschwanstein. Then across Austria to Slovenia (bled and Soca river valley) and then the Croatian coast. The plan was to continue down Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania and Greece, but the weather forecast was ridiculously bad, so we turned to Italy, visiting Venice, Verona, Garda lake, then to the west coast via Florence to Pisa and then Cinque Terre. We continued along the coast to France, via Nice then to see the Verdon Gorge. Then to Annecy, up towards the Alps via Chamonix then back accross to italy where we spent some time in Cortina exploring the Dolomites. Then we started heading back home. Salzburg, Prague, Dresden through Luxembourg and Mullerthal. Then Belgium to stock up on some beer in Bruges and Brussels (as well as Westvleteren for the really good stuff). We then drove through the Netherlands back to Hamburg to fix some issues before heading home via Kiel.

Any trips planned for the summer?

Reactions: Mike W