• HTML tutorial

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

It's nice to see one of these offroad, I work at a Honda dealership and almost none of the customers use them for anything other than commuting.
Thanks,
I find that the Pilot is a very unique vehicle. It has been incredibly reliable, seats 8 people, has decent clearance (with a 2” lift), has active awd (there when you need it), but can still lock the rear axles in a pinch (3wd? LOL). It is not too big or too small and in my opinion still looks good in 2019.

SomeGuyNamedPaul

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Little Rock, AR, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hurn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5DFZ
I’m very interested in your sway bar findings.
2 questions:
-what do the air springs do for you?
-what are the pros/cons of disconnecting front sway bar vs rear sway bar?

Reactions: b0wfin

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I’m very interested in your sway bar findings.
2 questions:
-what do the air springs do for you?
-what are the pros/cons of disconnecting front sway bar vs rear sway bar?
The air springs allow you to adjust the ride height in the rear (useful for people hauling or towing). In my experience they also add stability and stiffness while not making the ride uncomfortable (air suspension). Despite having a lifetime warranty they can be a chore to keep full of air. The macro fittings can be a little finicky and leak slowly from time to time. I originally rigged them up on separate air lines, but found it better to join them together with a y fitting on one supply line. This keeps the pressure the same on both sides at all times. This is especially important in the event of a blowout (I have never had one). My Firestone W237604135 Coil-Rite Kit has been incredibly durable and does not show any noticeable wear from over 2 years of use. If/when I buy another 2006-2008 Pilot I will be adding this kit again.

Definition of sway bar:
"An anti-roll bar (roll bar, anti-sway bar, sway bar,stabilizer bar) is a part of many automobile suspensions that helps reduce the body roll of a vehicle during fast cornering or over road irregularities. It connects opposite (left/right) wheels together through short lever arms linked by a torsion spring."

On road anti-sway bars are great with nearly zero downside. Off road however they limit suspension flex. With the sway bar disconnected each wheel acts independently allowing one side to compress completely while the other side extends completely. This translates to improved traction on uneven ground and can be the difference between getting stuck. A wheel that isn't touching the ground can't assist with forward motion and with an open differential will take power from the wheel that is touching. You may have seen people performing diagonal tests on vehicles. These tests are designed to see if a vehicle will move forward while a front wheel and rear wheel are suspended. (The VTM-4 system can!) A vehicle with sway bars disconnected would have increased flex decreasing the chance that a wheel would be suspended.

The front wheels control steering. I have not experimented with disconnecting the front sway bar, but I suspect the car would be more likely to pull going over uneven ground. This could be very unpredictable and dangerous at speeds. I am considering adapting sway bar disconnects for the front so that I can chose when the sway bar is connected. On slow technical terrain it could mean the difference between making it and not.

The rear wheels don't control steering directly, but when they act independently they still introduce a wandering effect. In my testing it is pretty easy to control even on the interstate. I notice increased traction on uneven ground immediately after disconnecting the rear sway bar. I am working on a plan for rear sway bar disconnects, but the space is limited so it might not be easy to accomplish without spacing the tires away from the vehicle. I am worried that if I space the wheels out too far they will hit the body at full compression.

In the end it is probably best to just run our Pilots with the sway bars connected. I just can't leave well enough alone :)

These are the disconnects I plan to experiment with.

Steinjager Jeep Wrangler Rear Sway Bar Disconnect End Link Kit for 2 in. Lift J0031039 (97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ)

Last edited:

SomeGuyNamedPaul

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Little Rock, AR, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hurn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5DFZ
I am worried that if I space the wheels out too far they will hit the body at full compression.

In the end it is probably best to just run our Pilots with the sway bars connected. I just can't leave well enough alone :)
I guess it’s time to whip out the jig saw and open up the wheel well! [emoji12]
A little body work and a bushwhacker fender flare would do wonders! [emoji6][emoji6]

Last edited:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Love the vid! The RD1 CR-V lineage of the Pilot was still very apparent with the 2007 model. Those rear shoulders, the headlights and the hood all scream CR-V to me. I think the wheels are actually the same bolt spec, as I've seen a lot of CR-V's running around on Pilot wheels.

Nice to not be the only guy running a Honda! lol

Reactions: Werlyb23

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Love the vid! The RD1 CR-V lineage of the Pilot was still very apparent with the 2007 model. Those rear shoulders, the headlights and the hood all scream CR-V to me. I think the wheels are actually the same bolt spec, as I've seen a lot of CR-V's running around on Pilot wheels.

Nice to not be the only guy running a Honda! lol
I agree with you on the looks. If you are on Facebook you should check out the Lifted Honda Society group. They are a bunch of gear heads that love to lift anything Honda! https://www.facebook.com/groups/liftedhondasociety/

Last edited:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Contrary to popular belief, some hondas are magical offroad.

I really love this element.

I think the honda guys need more love.
The first pic is photoshop, but the Element is actually based on the CR-V platform and uses an identical RT4wd system. They are pretty cool vehicles and decent off road, but their undercarriage geometry isn't as good. Having said that, I've seen some pretty sick looking lifted Elements and they have some very practical features.

I agree us Honda guys need more love! :D lol But then again, part of the fun is hearing some dude say "you can't wheel that thing" and then proving him wrong.

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

The first pic is photoshop, but the Element is actually based on the CR-V platform and uses an identical RT4wd system. They are pretty cool vehicles and decent off road, but their undercarriage geometry isn't as good. Having said that, I've seen some pretty sick looking lifted Elements and they have some very practical features.

I agree us Honda guys need more love! :D lol But then again, part of the fun is hearing some dude say "you can't wheel that thing" and then proving him wrong.
Honda Rescue Garage (https://hondarescue.com) Makes a legit 3" lift for the Honda Element!

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Sweet. Looks like basically stock tires. They need to slap some 235's on that bad boy lol

Btw, @b0wfin I meant to ask you, what's the length center to center of your rear sway bar endlinks? I have a sneaking suspicion they're the same as mine. If they are, I might just buy some quick disconnects.

Last edited:

hothybrids

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ottawa, Canada
Member #

Contrary to popular belief, some hondas are magical offroad.

I really love this element.

I think the honda guys need more love.
I once followed the local off road group in the wifes 1999 Honda Accord. No issues, did the trek like a champ although the floors were a little deformed afterwards!

Joel S

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8OJK
Lived in an 05 pilot for 4 months. I love these things! If I knew I custom made a drawer system for the back I could have given you, before I got my 4Runner.

The center locker in these things are WAY underrated. It’s superb off-road, I did a small bit of it off the 395 by June lake. I’m so jealous!

Have you thought about large scale additive manufacturing for the snorkel? If you’re going for the typical style manufacture, which is rotational molding I believe, you’re going to spend wayyyy too much on mold costs