Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

Parting out a WJ Overland you say? Is the interior grey leather? ;)

I'm feeling you on halting the WJ mods and moving on to a new rig; been thinking along the same lines recently. 4Runner would be nice, but I want something with more power and I've been looking at used Land Cruisers (hello price jump!).

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Parting out a WJ Overland you say? Is the interior grey leather? ;)

I'm feeling you on halting the WJ mods and moving on to a new rig; been thinking along the same lines recently. 4Runner would be nice, but I want something with more power and I've been looking at used Land Cruisers (hello price jump!).
I believe it's tan interior, but I'm not sure. I haven't really been doing much to the WJ as of late, but life happens. I have a few things I'd like to do with my kit that would make a difference, and could be transferred to the new rig should one come along. I have been looking at LC's as well, but it's hard to find one for a good price that hasn't been loved on a lot or that needs some tlc. If I can find a good 4th gen T4R with the V8, I should be golden.

Phildirt

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

When I think about getting a new truck I start running through my checklist -

Will it fit more people?
Are parts more readily available?
Will it take me places I can't go with my current truck?
Is the 5/10 year cost of ownership (fuel, maintenance, insurance - this is a HUGE factor) less?

Then I look really hard at why I want it and it usually comes down to something along the "grass is greener" side of things. I'm an SUV guy, pickups are cool but by the time you add racks, toppers, storage...might as well have an SUV. Jeeps are too small for my family. So with that criteria it rules out pretty much everything except what I already own.

I'm not anti-new truck or upgrades, don't get me wrong. Just make sure you weigh all of the factors. You'll find that very few of them are critical.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
When I think about getting a new truck I start running through my checklist -

Will it fit more people?
Are parts more readily available?
Will it take me places I can't go with my current truck?
Is the 5/10 year cost of ownership (fuel, maintenance, insurance - this is a HUGE factor) less?

Then I look really hard at why I want it and it usually comes down to something along the "grass is greener" side of things. I'm an SUV guy, pickups are cool but by the time you add racks, toppers, storage...might as well have an SUV. Jeeps are too small for my family. So with that criteria it rules out pretty much everything except what I already own.

I'm not anti-new truck or upgrades, don't get me wrong. Just make sure you weigh all of the factors. You'll find that very few of them are critical.
To run through your checklist:

Will it fit more people? Possibly, depending on the platform, but everyone will be more comfortable.
Are parts more readily available? Definitely with the platforms I have in mind. Plenty of options, and a good used market to buy from as well.
Will it take me places I can't go with my current truck? Yes
Is the 5/10 year cost of ownership (fuel, maintenance, insurance - this is a HUGE factor) less? Fuel cost might be less since it's a V6 but I anticipate similar fuel consumption. Since either platform is a Toyota it should be more reliable, but maintenance should also be about the same or less being a newer vehicle. Insurance might be a little more being a newer vehicle, but I do not foresee it being much more.

I see your point with the "grass is greener" thought process. I think I have a little bit of that, as I'm excited about sharing this passion with my girlfriend and the kiddos. So I'm definitely over-analyzing/over-thinking things.

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

I believe it's tan interior, but I'm not sure. I haven't really been doing much to the WJ as of late, but life happens. I have a few things I'd like to do with my kit that would make a difference, and could be transferred to the new rig should one come along. I have been looking at LC's as well, but it's hard to find one for a good price that hasn't been loved on a lot or that needs some tlc. If I can find a good 4th gen T4R with the V8, I should be golden.
Ah well. My search for replacement seats continues. [emoji6]

Think I only saw one V8 T4R in casual searching. Hope you find one that works for you.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Ah well. My search for replacement seats continues. [emoji6]

Think I only saw one V8 T4R in casual searching. Hope you find one that works for you.
I have decided to continue to work on the WJ since it works for me for now. I will keep a weathered eye out for something a little more in line with my end goal of having a more spacious rig with better aftermarket support (hoping for maybe a FZJ80 or FJ100). I have been in contact with a few different companies that offer interior storage solutions. Some are universal while some are looking to expand and create options for the WJ. I'm hoping this will free up some more space in the rig. All is to make what I have now work better for me.

As for my next upgrade, I plan on taking the rig in for a transmission service. New fluid, filters, and gasket. I'll let my mechanic handle that. Water pump and serp belt would probably be next, but I also plan on sucking out the dirty PS and brake fluid to add new. The idea is to slowly "flush" out both the PS and brake system since who knows when those fluids were replaced. General maintenance continues, but I am also saving for new tires. Rig looks wimpy with the stock sized tires. I also want something with a better tread pattern and bulletproof design. Looking at the BFG KO2's pretty hardcore in a LT245/75R16 flavor. They're currently priced out at about $179 a tire, and that's about $15 less than normal. I think BFG also is having a rebate on them as well. Trying to decide if it's worth putting it on the card to utilize that savings, or just wait and save up. Always the dilemma with these upgrades/add-ons is whether to pay cash or credit.

Ichibahn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

BFG KO2 245/75R16 mounting on the stock WJ blade wheel it will rubbing on the full turn without a wheel spacer.
I have the same tires with 2-1/2" lift and 1-1/2" wheel spacer, still need a front bumper trimming to clear up on the full. turn.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
BFG KO2 245/75R16 mounting on the stock WJ blade wheel it will rubbing on the full turn without a wheel spacer.
I have the same tires with 2-1/2" lift and 1-1/2" wheel spacer, still need a front bumper trimming to clear up on the full. turn.
Thanks for the heads up! I will keep that in mind. The plan is to get an ARB bull bar bumper or something similar which should free up a little more room. I did anticipate having to do some trimming or use a heat gun to mold things a little differently.

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

I am glad you decided against going into debt for a newer car. Car payments are not worth it IMO. I had a '99 WJ with the 4.0 and loved it. I truly wish I had never sold it but I was young and stupid and sold a perfectly good Jeep to get into a debt for something shiner.

You mentioned the Falken Wildpeaks A/T's... I have them and a buddy of mine runs them and I can say they are great for the money. I have beaten them up at low PSI off-road too and they are pretty tough. They are no M/T's but a good looking, fairly strong A/T. I have had them on 2 different rigs.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
The ol WJ got the transmission serviced today. new filters, fluid, and gasket. Mechanic always seems to comment on how good it runs and how good of shape it's in whenever I go in for the preventative stuff. I tell him the same thing every time. I take care of it the best I can and bring it for the maintenance when I can't do it.

Next on the list is a quick power steering flush, which might be over the course of a few days since I don't wanna mess with opening the system up. Then maybe flushing the brake lines. Cheap maintenance for now while I focus on taking trips and getting my kit dialed.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
I mainly run the back roads. A lot of what we have around here isn't horrible as my rig in stock form could handle it. I lifted it with the OME springs and Bilstein shocks to get it leveled out, be able to handle the extra weight of my gear without changing the handling capabilities too much, better ride quality in general, and to clear a little larger tire without worrying about tearing things up. If I get better tires, it would perform as I'd like and be able to handle most of what I want to run. I think my desire for sliders comes from just easier access to the roof is all. Side steps would suffice but they're usually flimsy and fall apart.

I have no desire to build this into a rock crawler as it's also my daily driver. I'm sort of building a Swiss Army knife or Leatherman multi-tool. She may not handle amazing in all conditions, but I could make it through. I haven't found a need for more lift or much more armor. Mainly just wanting that extra reassurance and the step mainly. With that said, with say a TRD Pro T4R, I wouldn't really need to do much in the way of add-ons since it's plenty capable from the factory. The WJ unfortunately wasn't built from the factory like that. The Overland edition of the WJ came close.
I know I'm replying to an older post, and you've decided to keep your Dub, but don't get hung up on the T4R Pro. Unless you want to fly down rough roads at high speed, the 4R doesn't really have anything on your WJ. You already have a lift, all you need is better tires, rock sliders, and a rear locking differential and a 4R would have a hard time keeping up with you on a rugged trail. That solid axle/coil spring front suspension on the WJ is AWESOME once the going gets really rough. Disconnect the front swaybar links, and there's tons of flex.

The only really useful thing the 4R Pro or Off-road comes with is the locking rear diff. The crawl control and terrain management are just gimmicks, and the tires that come on the Offroad are garbage, and they're only slightly better on the Pro. So either way, tires are going to be your first mod on one of those, after dropping 40large+ on the vehicle itself. And they don't come with sliders, so you'll need those as well.

For tires, btw, I had great luck with 245/75/16 on my 2" lifted ZJ. Big enough to look and perform better, small enough they didn't really effect performance or my gas mileage.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
The ol WJ decided it was time for a new water pump and serp belt. Luckily it was a slow deterioration, so I was able to drive it to where it was needed before it fell apart completely. Mechanic said the bearings were shot and broke apart when pulling the old WP out. It was on the list of things to change out, but I was hoping it'd be on my terms. Oh well. Still a cheap fix in comparison to some at just under $240 for the belt, coolant, and water pump.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I am considering the LT245/70R16 KO2's as they'll measure out about an inch less than the LT245/75R16's. I assume that'd be a smart route to go?

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
I am considering the LT245/70R16 KO2's as they'll measure out about an inch less than the LT245/75R16's. I assume that'd be a smart route to go?

Aren't those barely bigger than stock? I don't know the WJ's offhand, but I know that size came STOCK on certain ZJ models. When I ran the 245/75/16's on my ZJ, they measured right around 30" mounted and on the vehicle.

I had a buddy who ran 265's on his WJ with a 2" spacer lift, it all depends on how much you want to trim, haha.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Aren't those barely bigger than stock? I don't know the WJ's offhand, but I know that size came STOCK on certain ZJ models. When I ran the 245/75/16's on my ZJ, they measured right around 30" mounted and on the vehicle.

I had a buddy who ran 265's on his WJ with a 2" spacer lift, it all depends on how much you want to trim, haha.
Stock was somewhere in the realm of P235/75R16 or P245/70R17. LT's are usually beefier and do not balloon as much, as I'm sure you're aware of. I'm currently running stock sized 16's that measure out to about 28.50". I would run bigger but given Ichiban's comment with his experience, I was hoping to avoid trimming, more lift, and spacers. Eventually the bumpers will be replaced, however I don't have the $$ for that. I did scoop up 5-17" JK Moab wheels for $100, which should help since it has half an inch less of backspacing. Plus more tire options.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Picked up a NP242 HD tcase and the shifter assembly. I plan on rebuilding it with an SYE kit and double cardan rear shaft, but that's down the road. Might scoop a stock drive shaft as they go for about $100.