Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Nice build! I will be stealing a few of your ideas. I am building an 04 Overland that I picked up a few months ago. It is going to be an Overland build but will see a little rougher terrain down here. I worked as a master tech at a Jeep dealer for 14 years. The rough Idle on the 4.7's is usually O2 sensors. I bought this one cheap with fairly low miles because of the rough idle. Replaced all 4 O2 sensors and it idles like new and I am getting 19-21 mpg on strictly highway driving. I replaced the plugs, coils, water pump, and radiator as preventative maintenance. 4.7L's do not like to be overheated. I've put a winch mount on while I had the front bumper off and ordered a warn winch with synthetic rope. I had to loose the factory tow hooks to install the mount but the winch will make up for it.
That's a clean Overland! Full aluminum radiator?? That might be in my future. I'm not overheating but I've noticed with my OBD2 monitor the coolant temp hasn't gotten higher than 212. I've gotta do something more, so any advice you have would be welcomed, especially for cooling and MPGs. You might look at Fawkes Fab for their recover points for the front. Worth the wait and $$ IMO until you move up to a new bumper. OEM coils? I am plugging through maintenance and some minor issues due to the age and PO not taking good care of the rig. Between my lift, tires, and roof basket, I'm getting 15 average. I can squeeze more out, but traveling below 75mph kinda stinks on the hwy.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Small update on the platform. Had a few minutes the other night and test fit the tie down idea. Cut them down to fit and get rid of excess. Looks like it'll work out nicely. Hoping to get some more done this weekend.
IMG-6839.JPG

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Anyone have experience with Royal Purple's Purple ICE? From what I've read all over the internet, it's a cheap way to knock off a few degrees off the coolant temp without really any drawbacks (from what I could find). So we'll give it a go. While checking over the rig today, I found what I believe is a PS leak. This surprises me and doesn't at the same time as I had the PS system flushed recently. Wasn't down much on PS fluid which made me question it. Leak looks to be slow enough not to leave any on the ground, but has slowly coated things. At first I thought it was an oil leak as I had to add oil recently, but I have been running the rig hard lately with a lot of miles, so a little burn could be the problem. Looked almost like oil from the small drops on the filter and tie rods. It was however more viscous and didn't smell like oil, which led to the investigation of the PS system. I'll have the mechanic look at it while they have the rig next week to check out the whole rig, and also the starter specifically as that was groaning for a short period during startup this week.

Sorry for my scatterbrained update. Work is crazy and home is even crazier with all of the end of the school year stuff and prepping for OXW!

jeepman

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Columbia, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Duke
Member #

That's a clean Overland! Full aluminum radiator?? That might be in my future. I'm not overheating but I've noticed with my OBD2 monitor the coolant temp hasn't gotten higher than 212. I've gotta do something more, so any advice you have would be welcomed, especially for cooling and MPGs. You might look at Fawkes Fab for their recover points for the front. Worth the wait and $$ IMO until you move up to a new bumper. OEM coils? I am plugging through maintenance and some minor issues due to the age and PO not taking good care of the rig. Between my lift, tires, and roof basket, I'm getting 15 average. I can squeeze more out, but traveling below 75mph kinda stinks on the hwy.
Thanks! I was very happy to find it. I looked for 4 months and was about to give up and buy a limited when it showed up on craigslist. As for the radiator yes. Its full aluminum. I got it off ebay for $189 shipped and its been in a month with no issues. The factory plastic radiators are prone to failure so this solves that. I had to modify the fan shroud but other than that it was a bolt in. I replaced the hoses and thermostat at the same time as the radiator. The Jeep still has the factory coils and they weren't sagging at all but I started on my lift last weekend. I will post pics when I am done. I plan on running 265/70/17 BFG's. I imagine my mileage is going to drop close to yours after the lift and tires.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Aside from a little bit of sanding and paint, I'd say it's done! I was originally planning on adding wings on either side, but the better half made a good point about being able to fill that space in better with small/soft gear. So, sanding, a few coats of paint, and bed liner on the lid, and it's done!
IMG-6852.JPG

Reactions: jeepman

jeepman

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Columbia, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Duke
Member #

Looks good! What kind of bedliner are you painting it with? I am going to do something similar because my spare wont fit in the spare tire well any more. I will store stuff in the spare tire well and slide the tire in the open space above it. Then I can put cooler and other things on top. I finally finished my lift. I am riding around on factory tires until I get my new ones put on. It looks like its on stilts.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Looks good! What kind of bedliner are you painting it with? I am going to do something similar because my spare wont fit in the spare tire well any more. I will store stuff in the spare tire well and slide the tire in the open space above it. Then I can put cooler and other things on top. I finally finished my lift. I am riding around on factory tires until I get my new ones put on. It looks like its on stilts.
I have a bit of black Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner in a rattle can that I'll use. I like the look of it as the texture is very subtle yet it grips decent. I'm honestly surprised my spare fits and also surprised that it doesn't. I scoured the internet and it was supposed to fit just fine, but the variance in true size is to blame. Depending on your size, you might consider leaving the spare in the well if it'll fit. I had the same idea as you, but I've found that I haven't ever had to reach for my spare. The one time I had trouble, I was able to temporarily fix the leak and kept air in it until it could be professionally plugged. These tires are pretty stout compared to the previous set, but the extra plys help as well. I won't go any bigger on this rig, well, at least until I get a carrier. I stuck with the factory size for over a year on my lift. Looked a little goofy but more so looked like it was missing something.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I've been running like a madman lately to get everything ready for OXW AND handle the normal stuff. Life is crazy busy and the weather is NOT cooperating.

Here's an update on the build:
I have been mulling over the idea of a DIY hitch basket since my rig will be loaded to the gills with gear, hoomans, and doggos. I'm not much of a welder, but thankfully my father is. I sent him this sketch a month or so ago with the idea of building it on the weekend I'm up to help at the family farm:
IMG-6870.PNG
He build a lot of the gates, bale rings, and other odd and ends, not to mention his metal fab business, so he has the tools and scrap materials around. Well...I went up this past weekend and put in about 26 hours working with him, and we ended up pulling a late night to knock this out as wellIMG-6871.JPGIMG-6872.JPG
We were getting a feel for the ground clearance as well as the liftgate clearance. We ended up raising the support bar up about 6 inches from the receiver for added ground clearance and the liftgate clears with about an inch or two to spare. Will post more pics when done as I'll be knocking out the final welds and paint this weekend while I'm up for Mother's Day.

I finished my cargo/trunk platform and I am very happy with it. My gear is more organized with it and it free's up a bit of room for more gear and the dogs.
IMG-6873.JPG
However I don't think the dogs are fans of riding on top....
IMG-0425.JPGIMG-0421.jpgIMG-0420.JPGIMG-0418.JPG

And finally! I was able to use my Fourtreks mounts for a new item ;)
IMG-6886.JPGIMG-6885.JPG
My DIY awning was great in theory but it was a paint to use with my limited space to haul it on the inside, plus it was already just a temp solution until I got the basket extension (which I did about a year ago), the right mounts (got about a month or so ago), and pulled the trigger on the awning (came in yesterday!). This rig is coming together slowly, but I am making more conscious decisions with it and upgrading/adding on wisely. More to come before OXW!

Attachments

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
After my trip to Expo and the Grand Canyon, we realized a few different things need to happen with the rig. First and foremost, I need to figure out this little gremlin that causes some minor, yet concerning overheating. Second, the rear end sags with the weight of all of us and our gear, so new spring isolators and some spacers are in the future. Third, our kit/setup will be going through another phase of revamp with some more extensive changes and gear purchases. Things like our tent, kitchen setup, and power needs are all being looked into and we hope to make these changes slowly to fully assess the needs and also address the needs of the rig first. Below is a glamour shot of our trek through the Nat'l Forest towards the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
GC_OXW.jpg

Reactions: KPMetrics

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Hey good looking wj have u found any good options for a roof setup for a rtt I can find anything out there and the stock rails look weak
Thanks! I believe FrontRunner, Kevin's Offroad, and maybe Rocky Road and maybe even Iron Rock Offroad have an option. I haven't seen much in the way of advice on running a RTT, but the google photos show a mix of use from what I can tell given a lack of clear images and explanation. If I remember correctly from when I was checking out the stock roof rails, they're fastened to the roof poorly. Not a big concern at the moment since I maybe have 100-150lbs on the roof at a time. I believe If I went the RTT route, I'd buy a FrontRunner or equivalent and mount it that way. Rather spendy if you want to go that route, but it's doable. There are also hitch mount RTT platforms out there. Cool in design but you basically turn your RTT into a ground tent with a few differences on comfort and also having a smooth surface. I'll stick with a ground tent for now. I can upgrade my current tent and the whole family's sleeping system for less than half the cost of an RTT that would fit us all. I'll end up upgrading to a better suited vehicle hopefully within the new few years and look at an RTT then as well. Kiddos will be off to college or won't want to go since they're doing their own things so I can get away with a smaller RTT.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Well...I might have figured out what was causing some minor overheating troubles. The radiator seems to have let me know it is time to be replaced. I seem to leave a small puddle of coolant behind everywhere I park. Just noticed it today, however I think it has just started as I have not seen any signs previously. Wonder if it was slightly gummed up or blocked in places. So...scheduled with the mechanic to have that radiator and the thermostat replaced. Fingers crossed that I'm done for a bit on emergency maintenance

Last edited:

jeepman

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Columbia, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Duke
Member #

I've been running like a madman lately to get everything ready for OXW AND handle the normal stuff. Life is crazy busy and the weather is NOT cooperating.

Here's an update on the build:
I have been mulling over the idea of a DIY hitch basket since my rig will be loaded to the gills with gear, hoomans, and doggos. I'm not much of a welder, but thankfully my father is. I sent him this sketch a month or so ago with the idea of building it on the weekend I'm up to help at the family farm:
View attachment 97093
He build a lot of the gates, bale rings, and other odd and ends, not to mention his metal fab business, so he has the tools and scrap materials around. Well...I went up this past weekend and put in about 26 hours working with him, and we ended up pulling a late night to knock this out as wellView attachment 97104View attachment 97103
We were getting a feel for the ground clearance as well as the liftgate clearance. We ended up raising the support bar up about 6 inches from the receiver for added ground clearance and the liftgate clears with about an inch or two to spare. Will post more pics when done as I'll be knocking out the final welds and paint this weekend while I'm up for Mother's Day.

I finished my cargo/trunk platform and I am very happy with it. My gear is more organized with it and it free's up a bit of room for more gear and the dogs.
View attachment 97096
However I don't think the dogs are fans of riding on top....
View attachment 97097View attachment 97100View attachment 97101View attachment 97102

And finally! I was able to use my Fourtreks mounts for a new item ;)
View attachment 97094View attachment 97095
My DIY awning was great in theory but it was a paint to use with my limited space to haul it on the inside, plus it was already just a temp solution until I got the basket extension (which I did about a year ago), the right mounts (got about a month or so ago), and pulled the trigger on the awning (came in yesterday!). This rig is coming together slowly, but I am making more conscious decisions with it and upgrading/adding on wisely. More to come before OXW!
What size awning did you get?

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
The ol girl when under the knife last week. New radiator and thermostat. Mechanic didn't seem to thrilled about it. Said it was quite the process to take apart the front clip, then add in the difficulty with the hydro fan lines. The lines did leak as things warmed up and built up some pressure Got em tightened down and my mechanic said to keep an eye out for anything further since things did get moved a bit with the removal and install of the cooling system. Keep that in mind if you ever deal with this. Seems to run right around 195-199. Drove it for about 2 hours last night cruising the backroads to watch the sun set at a local lake, a favorite of mine to camp at. Zero leaks or heating issues. Next on the list is gear oil replacement and fix the sagging rear end(spring isolators and spacers). Rear end should yield about an inch gain unloaded.

Reactions: jeepman

jeepman

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Columbia, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Duke
Member #

The ol girl when under the knife last week. New radiator and thermostat. Mechanic didn't seem to thrilled about it. Said it was quite the process to take apart the front clip, then add in the difficulty with the hydro fan lines. The lines did leak as things warmed up and built up some pressure Got em tightened down and my mechanic said to keep an eye out for anything further since things did get moved a bit with the removal and install of the cooling system. Keep that in mind if you ever deal with this. Seems to run right around 195-199. Drove it for about 2 hours last night cruising the backroads to watch the sun set at a local lake, a favorite of mine to camp at. Zero leaks or heating issues. Next on the list is gear oil replacement and fix the sagging rear end(spring isolators and spacers). Rear end should yield about an inch gain unloaded.
It’s really not that hard to pull front bumper and grille. I can have mine off in 15 minutes. Mechanics like to complain. I know because I used to be one! 16 years at the Jeep dealership. Lol. Did you do the all aluminum one?

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
It’s really not that hard to pull front bumper and grille. I can have mine off in 15 minutes. Mechanics like to complain. I know because I used to be one! 16 years at the Jeep dealership. Lol. Did you do the all aluminum one?
Call me lazy, but I didn't want to mess with it. I just went with an OEM replacement and I'm sure they appreciated it so they wouldn't have to modify the shroud to fit. If it fails again or if I have problems, I will probably go with a full alu one, but so far my temps are a few degrees lower than the normal operating temp of before. I'll have to do some data logging before long and throw some abuse its way to see if I can replicate the same conditions to get it to spike.

jeepman

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Columbia, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
Duke
Member #

I finally got my lift and tires on. Now my spare won’t fit in the tire well. I am looking at building a shelf in the rear like you did. Put stuff I hardly use in the tire well. Put tire on top of tire well and fridge and gear on top of shelf. How much weight do you think the shelf you made added to the rear?

Attachments