2003 Atomic Orange Nissan Xterra 4X4 Overland Build (Codename : Tigger) Picture Heavy

• HTML tutorial

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
R.I.P. Tigger

Sorry for the delay on posting this. Life has been kinda hectic lately but, as of June 13, 2022 my pumpkin X is no longer with us
This is all because some idiot decided to fly around a blind corner on a back country dirt road on my side of the road and ran me off the road into a 16in pine tree. No they didn't stop and I don't even think they know I crashed. It all happened so fast that I couldn't get a description of the driver or vehicle. I am very fortunate and thanking God for this. They do not build vehicles like they used to because this Xterra took a head on direct hit to the passenger side frame horn into a 16in pine tree at about 20 m.p.h. and I walked away from this with ONLY a bruised right foot and some very mild whiplash. The airbags and the seatbelt did exactly what it was intended to and this Xterra saved my life. This was my dream 4x4 and I may never find another Atomic Orange 4x4. Nissan only produced 997 of these and not all were 4x4. R.I.P "Tigger" you brought me lots of joy and so many adventures. You will be missed dearly.

Now for some more good news!

I had it towed to my house and i was able to get all my off-road goodies except the tires and the rear shackles

Rear Tire Carrier, Warn Premium Hubs, Yakima Timberline Mounts and Jetstream Cross-bars, Hi-Lift Jack and all my off-road recovery gear. So if i had to guess i got roughly $3,000 worth of stuff off of Tigger before my insurance came to pick up. They did deem it a total loss and my payout was actually pretty good considering this was a 19 year old SUV. I got just over $5,600 from my insurance. I was able to find another 1st Gen Xterra so all the stuff that came off this vehicle will go on the new one and I am working on a new build thread for the (new to me) Xterra so stay tuned for that and I will have the link to that forum posted in this forum.

View attachment 241066 View attachment 241067

View attachment 241068 View attachment 241069

View attachment 241071 View attachment 241074

View attachment 241070 View attachment 241073

Here is a little sneak peak at the new rig!

View attachment 241092
That's a damn shame. I don't understand why people are intent on flying around on dirt roads. There's no excuse for it.

Super glad to hear you're OK though!

The new X looks super clean though!! Also really glad to see that you've picked up another 1.5 Gen.

That reminds me that I need to update build thread....

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

R.I.P. Tigger

Sorry for the delay on posting this. Life has been kinda hectic lately but, as of June 13, 2022 my pumpkin X is no longer with us
This is all because some idiot decided to fly around a blind corner on a back country dirt road on my side of the road and ran me off the road into a 16in pine tree. No they didn't stop and I don't even think they know I crashed. It all happened so fast that I couldn't get a description of the driver or vehicle. I am very fortunate and thanking God for this. They do not build vehicles like they used to because this Xterra took a head on direct hit to the passenger side frame horn into a 16in pine tree at about 20 m.p.h. and I walked away from this with ONLY a bruised right foot and some very mild whiplash. The airbags and the seatbelt did exactly what it was intended to and this Xterra saved my life. This was my dream 4x4 and I may never find another Atomic Orange 4x4. Nissan only produced 997 of these and not all were 4x4. R.I.P "Tigger" you brought me lots of joy and so many adventures. You will be missed dearly.

Now for some more good news!

I had it towed to my house and i was able to get all my off-road goodies except the tires and the rear shackles

Rear Tire Carrier, Warn Premium Hubs, Yakima Timberline Mounts and Jetstream Cross-bars, Hi-Lift Jack and all my off-road recovery gear. So if i had to guess i got roughly $3,000 worth of stuff off of Tigger before my insurance came to pick up. They did deem it a total loss and my payout was actually pretty good considering this was a 19 year old SUV. I got just over $5,600 from my insurance. I was able to find another 1st Gen Xterra so all the stuff that came off this vehicle will go on the new one and I am working on a new build thread for the (new to me) Xterra so stay tuned for that and I will have the link to that forum posted in this forum.

View attachment 241066 View attachment 241067

View attachment 241068 View attachment 241069

View attachment 241071 View attachment 241074

View attachment 241070 View attachment 241073

Here is a little sneak peak at the new rig!

View attachment 241092
That's a damn shame. I don't understand why people are intent on flying around on dirt roads. There's no excuse for it.

Super glad to hear you're OK though!

The new X looks super clean though!! Also really glad to see that you've picked up another 1.5 Gen.

That reminds me that I need to update build thread....
Don't get me wrong, I like hoonin' around on dirt too but you MUST be safe about it and know there is a time and place for it and a blind corner on a well traveled graded and maintained dirt road is not the time or place for it.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Don't get me wrong, I like hoonin' around on dirt too but you MUST be safe about it and know there is a time and place for it and a blind corner on a well traveled graded and maintained dirt road is not the time or place for it.
100 with you there. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the new rig!

Again, glad to see you're OK.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
The situation that no overlander ever wants to be in. Luckily I was not on a trip and was only 30 minutes from the house.
Those pics hurt to see, but the most important thing is that you’re ok. I’m glad you got another X. Hopefully you can get a steel front bumper for it

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

The situation that no overlander ever wants to be in. Luckily I was not on a trip and was only 30 minutes from the house.
Those pics hurt to see, but the most important thing is that you’re ok. I’m glad you got another X. Hopefully you can get a steel front bumper for it
That's definitely on the agenda but as a side note I still don't think I would have drove away from this accident with a steel bumper. It racked the whole entire frame on the passenger side all the way to the back bumper. The back bumper was sticking out a half inch more on the passenger side when I went to take it off. Even the roof buckled.

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

That's definitely on the agenda but as a side note I still don't think I would have drove away from this accident with a steel bumper. It racked the whole entire frame on the passenger side all the way to the back bumper. The back bumper was sticking out a half inch more on the passenger side when I went to take it off. Even the roof buckled.
Pine trees don't move LOL

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Lol they sure don’t
I agree a steel bumper probably wouldn’t have changed too much… maybe just changed the others guys mind into driving off the road instead lol

ryno9562

Rank VI

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Lol they sure don’t
I agree a steel bumper probably wouldn’t have changed too much… maybe just changed the others guys mind into driving off the road instead lol
There's no chance they could have avoided me. They were full tilt Ken Block hoonin' when I come up to the corner. By the time we were in line of sight of each other there was maybe 75-100 feet. I missed their car by maybe a foot.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Lol they sure don’t
There's no chance they could have avoided me. They were full tilt Ken Block hoonin' when I come up to the corner. By the time we were in line of sight of each other there was maybe 75-100 feet. I missed their car by maybe a foot.
I see