2001 Jeep XJ build

• HTML tutorial

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

Check for a valve cover gasket leak. Oil will leak down from the back of the motor making it look like a main seal leak. Don't ask me how I know this!.

I'm liking the gun metal gray idea.

Reactions: gummybear

renodemona

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TCT
A leaky Jeep, no way! What kind of hose is it? Is it a vent or vacuum you can use whatever size rubber line that works if there's not a sensor or something in it. It's probably a vent or the collection point for the PCV. I have Rough Country springs on my big Cherokee and I can vouch that the shocks are pretty low quality. Other than that looks like a good kit, especially if you need to replace stuff anyway.

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
Ok so I’m looking at changing fluids in my Jeep. I have about 200000 miles and I’m looking for recomendations on what type of oil to use in my axels, tcase, engine and tranny ( automatic ). Yes I can google it but I was curious what you guys would recommend

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

A lot of load like wheeling, 75-140. Regular use, most common 80-90. LSD ( limited slip diff ) add a modifier additive.
I use Valvoline products since my work truck is a Ford but Royal Purple, Pennzoil or water you prefer works fine.
Transfer case ATF+4 NP 231 1.6 quarts/1.5 liters
Chrysler 8.25 - 4.4 pints/2.08 liters
Dana 30 front - 2.5 pints/1.2 liters

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
A lot of load like wheeling, 75-140. Regular use, most common 80-90. LSD ( limited slip diff ) add a modifier additive.
I use Valvoline products since my work truck is a Ford but Royal Purple, Pennzoil or water you prefer works fine.
Transfer case ATF+4 NP 231 1.6 quarts/1.5 liters
Chrysler 8.25 - 4.4 pints/2.08 liters
Dana 30 front - 2.5 pints/1.2 liters
Perfect thank you this is extremely helpful

Reactions: Motoboss

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
A leaky Jeep, no way! What kind of hose is it? Is it a vent or vacuum you can use whatever size rubber line that works if there's not a sensor or something in it. It's probably a vent or the collection point for the PCV. I have Rough Country springs on my big Cherokee and I can vouch that the shocks are pretty low quality. Other than that looks like a good kit, especially if you need to replace stuff anyway.
Neither it’s the main intake hose from the air box to the throttle body

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
So I was just looking up the recalls on my Jeep and there are 4. I’ve never had to deal with recalls. Do I just take it to a Chrysler dealership and have them do the recalls or is there a special process I have to go through

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Ok so I’m looking at changing fluids in my Jeep. I have about 200000 miles and I’m looking for recomendations on what type of oil to use in my axels, tcase, engine and tranny ( automatic ). Yes I can google it but I was curious what you guys would recommend
Amsoil is the best IMO but hard to come by in my area. I use Valvoline 75w-140 synthetic in the diffs, mopar tcase fluid for the NP247, and Mobil1 high mile synthetic in the crankcase on my WJ.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
So I was just looking up the recalls on my Jeep and there are 4. I’ve never had to deal with recalls. Do I just take it to a Chrysler dealership and have them do the recalls or is there a special process I have to go through
I called the FCA recall center about mine and they set it up with my local dealer.

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
Hey guys I'm back. Sorry I've been MIA. So I have had quite the adventure over the last few months. So my 97 Cherokee transmission exploded on me, that was fun. I was on my way back from a 72 hour shift at the fire department and was driving to work on base about an hour north when the transmission just gave up. Since then I have found a 2001 jeep Cherokee. I got it for super cheap, the interior was in pristine condition. the exterior paint needs some work but nothing outside of my wheel house. On top of having a fantastic interior, all of the parts I had installed on my 97 xj fit the 01, with the acceptation of some of the engine parts. so as of now I have swapped everything over to the 2001, with the acceptation of the rear axel from the 97, which I am going to rebuild first and then install, the drive shaft I had on my 97 which was an after market drive shaft, the exhaust manifold which is the upgraded manifold so I don't get a cracked header, and the roof rack, which im considering not installing on the new jeep. the 01 has the stock roof rack and its in pretty good shape what do you guys think? the pictures will be following shortly

Greg Galbo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

York, PA, USA
First Name
Gregory
Last Name
Galbo
Member #

I have owned both a 97 and 01 cherokee (currently building the 97) I don’t think the 97 header will fit the 01! The 01 has the 2 piece manifold with 2 extra O2 sensors in it. But other than that a few other minor things everything fits which is the great part about XJ’s!

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
I have owned both a 97 and 01 cherokee (currently building the 97) I don’t think the 97 header will fit the 01! The 01 has the 2 piece manifold with 2 extra O2 sensors in it. But other than that a few other minor things everything fits which is the great part about XJ’s!
That would be extremely unfortunate if it doesn’t fit lol, it’s a perfectly good header

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
Ok so I am looking to upgrade the tires but keep them reasonable, I have a 3.5 in front and rear lift, 15 in rims, and I’m looking for a good balance between durable, lower on the price point and good enough to get over some terrain but still be used as my daily driver. I know I’m asking a lot, anyone have any leads?

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Ok so I am looking to upgrade the tires but keep them reasonable, I have a 3.5 in front and rear lift, 15 in rims, and I’m looking for a good balance between durable, lower on the price point and good enough to get over some terrain but still be used as my daily driver. I know I’m asking a lot, anyone have any leads?
Check out Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. They're less that the usual BFG's and they're great! a good mix for everything I can throw at them. I think I paid about $150 a tire before the fees and tax. I think by the time I had all 5 done, I was around $850-$900 out the door. Not bad if you ask me

BlueRidge150

Rank I

Contributor III

Greer, SC
Check out Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. They're less that the usual BFG's and they're great! a good mix for everything I can throw at them. I think I paid about $150 a tire before the fees and tax. I think by the time I had all 5 done, I was around $850-$900 out the door. Not bad if you ask me
I was going to recommend, or mention these as well. They seem to be the latest craze, and i've only read good things. I think Falken has a new(er) wild peak that is just the "AT" or maybe something else thats specifically designed for lighter weight vehicles (subaru/small suv/etc.) but i could be wrong on that as well.

no experience with either.... i'm still rocking the Goodyear Wranglers that came on mine, and I will until they're worn out or dry rot. I also only did the "up country" lift on on mine (about 1.5 inches over stock).

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I was going to recommend, or mention these as well. They seem to be the latest craze, and i've only read good things. I think Falken has a new(er) wild peak that is just the "AT" or maybe something else thats specifically designed for lighter weight vehicles (subaru/small suv/etc.) but i could be wrong on that as well.

no experience with either.... i'm still rocking the Goodyear Wranglers that came on mine, and I will until they're worn out or dry rot. I also only did the "up country" lift on on mine (about 1.5 inches over stock).
I've been all about these tires since they came out (before the craze). I had a few of my buddies rock them on their rigs as soon as they were available and raved about them so much that I made a point to get a set when I needed new tires. I dig them. Even in a lower ply, they're still pretty durable from what I hear. The Rubitrek AT is the one you're referring to I believe. They look to be just as capable but (arguably) a little less aggressive. Either way, their rubber compound wears well and the tires seem to handle anything I throw at them. Mud on an AT usually sucks but these handle decently.