1997 LandCruiser

• HTML tutorial

WakeUpAndSmellThe80

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Minnesota
Member #

This story begins in February, after a two year search, when I scored my favorite color 1997 LandCruiser with lockers with 222,000 miles for 2500 dollars. I had set up an email alert on Craigslist, so I messaged the guy about 5 minutes after the ad appeared. By the time he had responded to me 20 minutes later, he told me I was one of four potential buyers, but he told me I was the first. I drove up that night and bought the Cruiser for the 2500 dollar asking price. 20 minutes into the ride home, it overheated, so I pulled over and realized my coolant had leaked out. I added coolant from the as station and drove it home. Here it is the night I drove it home. image.jpeg The first thing I did was bypass the rusted rear heat lines where my coolant had leaked out. image.jpegI cut away the rusted area with a hack saw and added a u shaped heater hose with some hose clamps. Next I tried to remove the badly rusted receiver hitch. I broke off half of the m12 finethread bolts holding it on. The thing was so rusted that it folded in half once it came off. This is the frame. image.jpeg Next I tried a needle scaler on my rear crossmember and it put a hole all the way through it. image.jpegI searched around for part outs until I found a 94 from Arizona that was only 4 hours away from me. The guy was willing to sell me the frame from the wheels back for only 50 dollars. I drove the cruiser all the way there and back without a breakdown. I then sandblasted and painted it. image.jpegNext I ordered the missing hubcaps off eBay along with a new receiver hitch from jc Whitney. image.jpeg I then decided to address the steering knuckles, which were long overdure for a rebuild.image.jpegWhen the rebuild kit from cruiser outfitters arrived, I got to work on the front axle. image.jpegAfter completing both sides, I sent my wheels in to be blasted and powdercoated.image.jpegNow it would be time for the frame section replacement. image.jpegI measured and cut out my bad frame section, then cut my new pice to match.

Last edited:

WakeUpAndSmellThe80

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Minnesota
Member #

Next, I welded the piece in. image.jpeg image.jpegThen added the body trim and attached the new receiver hitch. image.jpegI then ordered five 275/70/16 (stock) bfg ko ats. image.jpegAfter three long weeks, my wheels were complete. image.jpegI immediately had them mounted and put onto the car.image.jpegI drove it for 1 weekend and the steering knuckle rebuild seemed to hold up well. image.jpegI then ordered some weather tech floor mats. image.jpegThe rig has come a long ways at this point. image.jpeg

WakeUpAndSmellThe80

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Minnesota
Member #

The next issue to be sorted out is the water getting in through the rust above the windshield. My sunroof drains are not plugged. image.jpegCurrently, she is in the shop for rear brakes, a check engine light and shocks. I don't have the time to address these setbacks because summer hours are starting at work. image.jpeg

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

I baselined mine when I got it. some of the same stuff youre doing. I put $1000 just in my brakes. drums/rotors, shoes and pads, calipers etc. stops real good but I think im going to replace the master cylinder too. your wheels and tires are very nice.

WakeUpAndSmellThe80

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Minnesota
Member #

I baselined mine when I got it. some of the same stuff youre doing. I put $1000 just in my brakes. drums/rotors, shoes and pads, calipers etc. stops real good but I think im going to replace the master cylinder too. your wheels and tires are very nice.
I forgot to mention that the front brakes and rotors were brand new when I bought it, but the rear ones are completely gone, so I am getting new shoes, pads and rotors as we speak.

Reactions: NorthStar96

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

I forgot to mention that the front brakes and rotors were brand new when I bought it, but the rear ones are completely gone, so I am getting new shoes, pads and rotors as we speak.
with all the rust we have to deal with here, check those calipers.. I wanted to rebuild my originals but it was just better to get totally rebuilt ones with a lifetime guarantee from Napa.

wemahfouz

Rank II

Advocate II

The next issue to be sorted out is the water getting in through the rust above the windshield. My sunroof drains are not plugged. View attachment 3941Currently, she is in the shop for rear brakes, a check engine light and shocks. I don't have the time to address these setbacks because summer hours are starting at work. View attachment 3942
How did rust appear right there? Nice rig BTW

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk