03 Grand Cherokee Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Did you have to use back spacers to get the JK Rims to work? I have a set I wanted to swap into my WJ.
No I didn’t need them until I lifted it and went to a jk size tire. It depends on the width of the tire. The 255/75r17 required me to get 1.5” wheel spacers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mike Q

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Cleaned out the spare tire well, loaded up all my tools in there, packed up tents, chairs, and cooler. We are headed to uwharrie ohv in nc today through Sunday. Over the weekend I had a friend change the front axle seals, new fluid, replace the thermostat/gasket that was leaking, and new hoses and clamps.

Also last week I installed core4x4 adjustable front upper arms. Steering feels nice and solid. The original arms were still on it and the bushings were shot.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
This last weekend went wheeling/camping to Uwharrie National Forest for the first time this year. The trails were definitely more washed out with more exposed rock than I ever remember in the last few years I’ve been going. Without further ado, here are some pics.

Reactions: Aussie571

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
Well it’s been awhile since I’ve done anything besides driving but wanted to check back in and say hey. Tested my battery last night and it was bad so instead of waiting till it died I just went ahead and replaced it with an AGM from Advance Auto. It’s an Autocraft and is made by Johnson Controls who also makes Optimas now. I went to a battery conference for work and learned about the different batteries we sell and what makes an AGM different that’s why I went that direction.

I need to address my terminals. Does anyone have any suggestions for good terminals that can fit accessory wires? I need room for at least 3 4ga wires.

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

I need to address my terminals. Does anyone have any suggestions for good terminals that can fit accessory wires? I need room for at least 3 4ga wires.
I can't stand running a bunch of wires off of a single battery terminal. When I relocated the battery for my turbo swap in the supra I used something similar to this. One cable from the front to the rear and everything ties into the single post near the old location for the battery.

IMG_0537.jpg

I also intend to go this route again when/if I need to run a large power wire to the rear of my rig. Of course the draw that they can support may be limited so any big loads like winches will likely want to be run straight to the terminals, but this leaves you with more room to do that.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
I can't stand running a bunch of wires off of a single battery terminal. When I relocated the battery for my turbo swap in the supra I used something similar to this. One cable from the front to the rear and everything ties into the single post near the old location for the battery.

View attachment 66963

I also intend to go this route again when/if I need to run a large power wire to the rear of my rig. Of course the draw that they can support may be limited so any big loads like winches will likely want to be run straight to the terminals, but this leaves you with more room to do that.
The grand Cherokee stock has 2 4ga wires going to the terminal originally. I added one more to power an auxiliary fuse box which provides power to my switch panel and now I just have to run a power wire from accessory to switch and ground it and it’s done. No more running things all through the engine bay!

Reactions: Aussie571

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

The grand Cherokee stock has 2 4ga wires going to the terminal originally. I added one more to power an auxiliary fuse box which provides power to my switch panel and now I just have to run a power wire from accessory to switch and ground it and it’s done. No more running things all through the engine bay!
I understand. I like hiding the distribution terminal so the engine bay gets a nice clean look to it and the wiring is a little more hidden. I was hoping that you didn't mean like some of the backwoods wiring gurus who attach EVERYTHING to the battery with 14ga wire and 3/8" ring terminals. Props for no ghetto wiring! I haven't used any terminals like you're talking about but I know the car audio guys have some fancy terminals that you can fit multiple large gauge cables in to.

This right here looks pretty serious and may fit the bill for you?

IMG_0538.jpg

I have no personal experience, but for the most part it's just a battery terminal.

Loving the build so far, I'm just a little ways from you in Asheville, maybe I'll see you on the trails!

IMG_0484.jpg

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
I understand. I like hiding the distribution terminal so the engine bay gets a nice clean look to it and the wiring is a little more hidden. I was hoping that you didn't mean like some of the backwoods wiring gurus who attach EVERYTHING to the battery with 14ga wire and 3/8" ring terminals. Props for no ghetto wiring! I haven't used any terminals like you're talking about but I know the car audio guys have some fancy terminals that you can fit multiple large gauge cables in to.

This right here looks pretty serious and may fit the bill for you?

View attachment 66968

I have no personal experience, but for the most part it's just a battery terminal.

Loving the build so far, I'm just a little ways from you in Asheville, maybe I'll see you on the trails!

View attachment 66969
Nice man. After some research I found some military spec ones off amazon that’ll work for around $25. If you want some pics of my setup let me know. I head your way every fall so maybe I’ll post up when/if I do this year. I’d like to do some trails out there

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Nice man. After some research I found some military spec ones off amazon that’ll work for around $25. If you want some pics of my setup let me know. I head your way every fall so maybe I’ll post up when/if I do this year. I’d like to do some trails out there
We've got some good spots to play out here. The private stuff is my favorite. Let me know!

Definitely share your set up, I always need new ideas for power distribution, especially when bigger loads are getting involved.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
We've got some good spots to play out here. The private stuff is my favorite. Let me know!

Definitely share your set up, I always need new ideas for power distribution, especially when bigger loads are getting involved.
Check out post #119 on this thread and you’ll see the end results. It was extremely satisfying when everything worked. I am not too good at wiring and this was definitely a challenge. I learned a lot though and that made it fun. I need more accessories lol. Currently using 1/12 switches haha

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Check out post #119 on this thread and you’ll see the end results. It was extremely satisfying when everything worked. I am not too good at wiring and this was definitely a challenge. I learned a lot though and that made it fun. I need more accessories lol. Currently using 1/12 switches haha
I saw that earlier! I've had a lot of practice with wiring over the last few years, I do have one question for you though, do you have the power wire for that distribution block fused? That's a long stretch of large gauge wire that could cause some pretty major issues if something were to happen to it. If it's fused then you have an easily repairable weak link that will alert you of something that needs to be resolved. If not, and something happens, you may lose power to more than just your accessories!

Food for thought.

I'm brainstorming on a switch panel of some sort now, I don't have a whole lot of room to play with though!

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
I saw that earlier! I've had a lot of practice with wiring over the last few years, I do have one question for you though, do you have the power wire for that distribution block fused? That's a long stretch of large gauge wire that could cause some pretty major issues if something were to happen to it. If it's fused then you have an easily repairable weak link that will alert you of something that needs to be resolved. If not, and something happens, you may lose power to more than just your accessories!

Food for thought.

I'm brainstorming on a switch panel of some sort now, I don't have a whole lot of room to play with though!
Yep I do have one about a foot from the battery. I also used 4gauge cable to help prevent any unforeseen issues. I am going to relocate the fuse a little further away and clean up more wires when I do the terminals. I cracked the negative one just a little tightening it last night

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Yep I do have one about a foot from the battery. I also used 4gauge cable to help prevent any unforeseen issues. I am going to relocate the fuse a little further away and clean up more wires when I do the terminals. I cracked the negative one just a little tightening it last night
The closer to the source the better, with fuses. Less opportunity to tear things up. I saw the terminals you were talking about, I like those a lot more than the ones I shared, cleaner and easier to disconnect particular cables.

tsteb112

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Greenville
The closer to the source the better, with fuses. Less opportunity to tear things up. I saw the terminals you were talking about, I like those a lot more than the ones I shared, cleaner and easier to disconnect particular cables.
Yep that’s what I like about them too. The fuse will be probably be 2 feet back. I’m just mounting it on the firewall.

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Yep that’s what I like about them too. The fuse will be probably be 2 feet back. I’m just mounting it on the firewall.
Good call as long as the cable is out of the way of anything that could damage it, also take into consideration any edges or objects that may contact it in a collision. Exploding batteries are less fun than they sound!

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Love the WJ!

We are having rigs and coffee meetups the last Saturday of every month in Charlotte. We would love to have more Jeeps there! Keep an eye out for the Rally Point!